Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Another 7D battery question

PatrickSweeney
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Another 7D battery question

OK, I run two batteries in a Canon grip on my 7D.

The two previous batteries (one that came with the body, one bought a year later) both finally gave up the ghost. Hard to complain about getting as much use as I did. (I bought my 7D right after it was first available.)

OK, the two previous batteries always kept pretty close in count. At most, they'd get about five clicks apart (ex: at 205 total, one would be 100, the other, 105)

These two, not.

I've spent the last couple of days intermittently taking shot and the current total since last charge is 629 clicks. Battery "A" is at 282, battery "B" is at 347.

What's up with that?

Aug 09, 2013 at 04:03 AM
scalesusa
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Another 7D battery question

I think you are asking why the capacity is different on two used batteries that that were purchased a year apart??

Batteries reduce in capacity over time, so I'd expect less capacity exists in one that is a year older. Age is a big factor in battery life.

Aug 10, 2013 at 01:27 AM
dwweiche
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Another 7D battery question

I believe you mis-read the post. The two batteries that were a year apart are now gone, and the OP is, presumably, using two new batteries (but that needs to be clarified).

Aug 10, 2013 at 05:58 AM
PatrickSweeney
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Another 7D battery question

I thought it was clear, clearly not.

The two new batteries are not behaving as the previous pair had.

Antone else have this going on?

Aug 11, 2013 at 08:40 PM
omarlyn
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Another 7D battery question

PatrickSweeney wrote:
I thought it was clear, clearly not.

I've never really noticed one way or the other...I've never checked individual actuation from each battery but I'd be happy to check that on my next shooting gig and report back.

Omar

Aug 11, 2013 at 08:52 PM
PatrickSweeney
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Another 7D battery question

Thanks.

Aug 11, 2013 at 09:35 PM
PatrickSweeney
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Another 7D battery question

Just in case anyone cares about this, and wants the excruciating details.

I charged up and went out for more, and the batteries still do it. (I had this idea that they needed to be refreshed. Oh well.)

The newer battery (all of one week newer here, no telling when it was made) is the one the body preferentially draws from.

The latest count, from starting over; batt#1; 396, batt#2; 462 clicks.

And yes, both Canon-brand batteries, no aftermarket.

Aug 13, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

riokid
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Another 7D battery question

IIRC the camera will draw power from the battery with more power until they are about the same capacity, and then draw alternately (evenly?) from both batteries.

What this is telling me is that there is a weak cell in one of the batteries. Although they give out the same voltage, the amperage of one is lower.

It reminds me of the old NiCd batteries for the RC cars, where we painstakingly drain and test to match battery capacity for our "race" power pack.

From your post, it would be interesting to see if the difference between batt#1 and batt#2 is always about 66 click.

Good luck

dan

Aug 13, 2013 at 03:16 PM
PatrickSweeney
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Another 7D battery question

Interesting.

They are both new, both Canon, and both in the grip all the time.

Aug 13, 2013 at 03:59 PM
omarlyn
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Another 7D battery question

PatrickSweeney wrote:

omarlyn wrote:
I've never really noticed one way or the other...I've never checked individual actuation from each battery but I'd be happy to check that on my next shooting gig and report back.

Well, I did some shooting this morning and these are the results I have...though I must say, this is very unscientific. I charged both batteries up to 100% and after a few hundred frames, Battery 1 shows 98% & 221 frames while Battery 2 shows 98% & 184 frames. As for what that means...I don't know...my batteries are old as dirt and have lot's a usage. Still, I don't seem to recall they were ever exactly the same on frame counts...they were always close but never exactly the same AFAIK.

Omar

Aug 13, 2013 at 05:01 PM
riokid
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Another 7D battery question

Yes I understatd that they are both new: It also means both are within published specifications. It does NOT mean that they are a MATCHED pair.

Sorry for the confusion

PatrickSweeney wrote:
Interesting.

They are both new, both Canon, and both in the grip all the time.

Aug 13, 2013 at 07:26 PM
PatrickSweeney
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Another 7D battery question

No confusion at all.

If I had known the previous pair had been so closely matched, I'd have spent more time reveling in it.

I'm just curious if what I'm seeing is normal, or if my battery pairing has regressed past the mean.

Aug 13, 2013 at 07:28 PM
PatrickSweeney
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Another 7D battery question

OK, an update. After a couple of use and recharge cycles, the average click distribution is now no more than 31 clicks different.

Now I'm curious to see if it settles down closer and closer to equal, or something less than before, but not as good as the previous pair.

Aug 22, 2013 at 07:58 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password