New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Seeking licensing advice

BubbaJon
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Seeking licensing advice

Out of the blue I received a request from a publishing company that wants to license about 8 of my images for a GCSE guide for a particular opera that I shot a world premier of. One of the players is internationally known if that makes a difference.
In addition to the printed GCSE guide they want to publish it as a PDF for use by impaired users.
So in a nutshell this publication will be used in secondary educational institutions that teach this material worldwide. Anyone have pointers on licensing for this type of use?
Thanks!
Jon

Aug 08, 2013 at 11:18 AM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Seeking licensing advice

What is GSCE guide?

Aug 08, 2013 at 05:31 PM
BubbaJon
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Seeking licensing advice

Micky Bill wrote:
What is GSCE guide?

General Certificate of Secondary Education
Sorta like a very specific textbook..

Aug 08, 2013 at 06:26 PM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Seeking licensing advice

Then the answer is "not very much..."

Aug 08, 2013 at 10:25 PM
umgrizz
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Seeking licensing advice

Micky Bill wrote:
Then the answer is "not very much..."

Micky Bill focuses only on the value of the license agreement, not your original question which asked for pointers. You will probably be looking at a worldwide licensing agreement with potential publication in multiple subsequent editions. I doubt anyone on this list will have the expertise to give you good advice on this. The best pointer I can think of -- get a lawyer!

Curt

Aug 08, 2013 at 11:19 PM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Seeking licensing advice

umgrizz wrote:
Micky Bill focuses only on the value of the license agreement, not your original question which asked for pointers. You will probably be looking at a worldwide licensing agreement with potential publication in multiple subsequent editions. I doubt anyone on this list will have the expertise to give you good advice on this. The best pointer I can think of -- get a lawyer!

Curt

In reality textbook publishers usually plead extreme poverty even though they are usually very profitable due to the required purchases by students and the inflated cost of textbooks. Is it for digital/web/online use or actual books?

There are online price calculators where you plug in the amount of photos, where they will be used, the intended press run and the time period.

In fact there are many here who can give advice, maybe pick a little from each one. A run of the mill general lawyer will not be much help, a lawyer who specializes in IP, RM and the photography / publishing industry would be beneficial but then you'd probably spend $5000 to do a $1000 deal.

Aug 09, 2013 at 06:13 PM
Mr Joe
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Seeking licensing advice

Some ideas:
1. Sign up for free Corbis and Getty accounts. Run the usage through those tools to get baseline pricing.
2. Try some online price calculators. Example: http://photographersindex.com/price-ed-calc.htm
3. Read John Harrington's "Best Business Practices for Photographers" http://amzn.to/2MT2ub

Aug 11, 2013 at 10:13 AM
martines34
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Seeking licensing advice

American Society of Media Photographers

About ASMP:

The American Society of Media Photographers is the premier trade association for the world’s most respected photographers. ASMP is the leader in promoting photographs’ rights, providing education in better business practices, producing business publications for photographers and helping to connect purchases with professional photographers. For more information, visit www.asmp.org

This may be over:

The Future of Art & Commerce:
what creators and users of visual content need to know in these rapidly changing times

A series of ten free webinars jointly produced by the American Society of Media Photographers (ASMP) and Copyright Clearance Center (CCC) to educate creators and users on copyright, licensing and monetization of content. The series will open an honest dialogue about conflicting pressures for both content creators and users: while exploring a variety of mutually beneficial suggestions and solutions.

Aug 11, 2013 at 10:31 AM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Seeking licensing advice

Like $50 an image.

Aug 13, 2013 at 11:11 AM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.