Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

  

Archive 2013 · How to get 60,000+ Instagram followers
  
 
PhilPDX
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How to get 60,000+ Instagram followers


Interesting article in the Oregonian this morning (re-release it seems):

http://www.oregonlive.com/living/index.ssf/2013/08/portland_photographer_captures.html

-Phil




Aug 08, 2013 at 04:00 PM
BenV
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How to get 60,000+ Instagram followers


Who really cares about having so many 'followers' besides hipster kids?


Aug 09, 2013 at 01:11 PM
swoop
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How to get 60,000+ Instagram followers


Getting featured in magazines is a lot different than being hired to do a feature for a magazine. Yeah, you get attention but it's for snapshots of random crap. I'd rather be recognized for my work than for photos of my breakfast while I was on vacation. And yeah, I know this has been going on for awhile, but when Stephen Shore did it he wasn't just pulling out his phone adding a filter and hitting send because everyone else was doing it.


Aug 09, 2013 at 02:59 PM
PhilPDX
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How to get 60,000+ Instagram followers


BenV wrote:
Who really cares about having so many 'followers' besides hipster kids?


The potential customers professional photographers will lose because of folks like the one mentioned in the article? To me, the article is just another indicator of the direction we are heading.

-Phil



Aug 09, 2013 at 08:01 PM
Skarkowtsky
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How to get 60,000+ Instagram followers


We are headed in a lousy direction. And Instagram culture is playing a part. I was offered a bid for a Budweiser social media campaign recently.

The creative direction from the AB brass was for submissions of actual Instagram photos of their beer in lifestyle candids.That's it. The call was for anyone with an iPhone or Android that uses Instagram. No standards for creativity were established, nor were brand guides acknowledged or how their product should look in a campaign, etc. All the qualities and details that make a brand consistent.

They literally threw this $xxxx price tag in the direction of every amateur with an itchy trigger finger.

What this project does guarantee is that food stylists, assistants, photographers and models will not be offered this job. Consummate professionals who commit themselves to their careers through hard work and ability. Sure, if they're fortunate enough to stumble across the call for entries, they can put their talent to use. But, how many working professionals are looking, or know to look for Instagram gigs? None.

Sad.

Maybe I should take my SEAR'S Craftsman hammer into a courtroom and sit on the bench for an afternoon. Wait, it's not really a gavel, and I'm not really a judge. Nor would I have the audacity to try the like.



Aug 09, 2013 at 08:12 PM
chez
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How to get 60,000+ Instagram followers


swoop wrote:
Getting featured in magazines is a lot different than being hired to do a feature for a magazine. Yeah, you get attention but it's for snapshots of random crap. I'd rather be recognized for my work than for photos of my breakfast while I was on vacation. And yeah, I know this has been going on for awhile, but when Stephen Shore did it he wasn't just pulling out his phone adding a filter and hitting send because everyone else was doing it.


He has cleared $80,000 shooting with his phone. Just goes to show again, it's not the gear, it's the photographer. You can't argue with that success.



Aug 10, 2013 at 01:12 AM
chez
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How to get 60,000+ Instagram followers


Skarkowtsky wrote:
We are headed in a lousy direction. And Instagram culture is playing a part. I was offered a bid for a Budweiser social media campaign recently.

The creative direction from the AB brass was for submissions of actual Instagram photos of their beer in lifestyle candids.That's it. The call was for anyone with an iPhone or Android that uses Instagram. No standards for creativity were established, nor were brand guides acknowledged or how their product should look in a campaign, etc. All the qualities and details that make a brand consistent.

They literally threw this $xxxx price tag in the direction
...Show more

I don't know if it's a lousy direction, but more a different direction than traditional photography. I think an ad made up from thousands of submitted instagram photos or video clips might be quite interesting, at the very least different than the canned planned photo shoots that get over used in advertising. A fresh look is always interesting.



Aug 10, 2013 at 01:15 AM
chris78cpr
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How to get 60,000+ Instagram followers


A lousy direction... not quite.

It actually just shows that consumers demands and consumer trends are driving change in what companies ask for to market their products. If you are someone in charge of an ad budget and you forecast the most effective way to market your product is via instagram type photos then surely that is the direction you will take... be it more cost effective or less...?

Budweiser don't scrimp on their ad spend so they obviously deem it the most effective way. To us $5000/10000 on photography is a lot, but for a company like AB... it's pennys.



Aug 10, 2013 at 10:12 PM
mdude85
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How to get 60,000+ Instagram followers


From my perspective he has a very adept grasp on composition, framing and the use of color to evoke a particular mood. He definitely has "an eye" for good photography and loves to travel and capture the beauty of nature.

Personally I don't see a difference between applying an Instagram filter and selectively adjusting curves, colors, white balance in Photoshop to evoke a desired effect, which is something that professionals do on a regular basis. To say nothing of cloning, dodging, burning, masking, etc, which are tools not even (yet) available on the smartphone.

Anheuser-Busch has a $1.3 billion marketing budget, of which about 10% ($135 million or so) is spent on advertising for Budweiser. About 3% of that (or $4 million) was spent online. So it's a tremendous "bang for your buck" for a company that already spends more money hiring professionals for its traditional (print and television) advertising than almost any other corporation.

That said, the article does not really provide any instruction for precisely how to get 60,000 followers. I would love to know, as I only have about 150!



Aug 12, 2013 at 01:56 PM
PhilPDX
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · How to get 60,000+ Instagram followers


mdude85 wrote:
That said, the article does not really provide any instruction for precisely how to get 60,000 followers. I would love to know, as I only have about 150!


Sleeping in a house: 150 followers
Sleeping in a car: 60,000 followers

-Phil :)



Aug 12, 2013 at 07:21 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



miccullen
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · How to get 60,000+ Instagram followers


chez wrote:
He has cleared $80,000 shooting with his phone. Just goes to show again, it's not the gear, it's the photographer. You can't argue with that success.


Like all gross simplifications, it doesn't show what it purports to show at all.



Aug 16, 2013 at 07:02 AM
msessions
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · How to get 60,000+ Instagram followers


It seems like very few people casting the disparaging remarks actually looked at his work.

He's clearly a talented photographer. One could argue he'd make even more money if he shot with proper gear but perhaps this medium just suits him better. The guy lives in a car because that's where his work takes him. There are plenty of landscape/wildlife photographers out there who spend A LOT of time in their cars, in the woods, etc.



Aug 28, 2013 at 02:03 AM
jim bennett
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · How to get 60,000+ Instagram followers


Change or die/starve. Times are constantly changing and while I have never worked professionally in photography, I have found in my career that if I am not willing to change and adapt basically all the time my services will no longer be required as someone else will be more than willing to.


Sep 12, 2013 at 06:32 PM
jojosung
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · How to get 60,000+ Instagram followers


chez wrote:
He has cleared $80,000 shooting with his phone. Just goes to show again, it's not the gear, it's the photographer. You can't argue with that success.


Wonder how he does that.. Istocks etc.. are notorious for taking mediocre photos, but they do have standard of minimum equipment usage.. and his iPhone won't cut it..



Sep 13, 2013 at 12:30 PM
cineski
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · How to get 60,000+ Instagram followers


This is absolutely true. However, in this particular case of the photo industry in order to change you must be willing to work for credit, facebook likes, fans and followers. Yesterday I opened facebook up and it was a barrage of posts that went like this: "I'm now a PASS photographer because I serve my clients and I don't need to make money with prints" or "It's okay you didn't book that client because they went with someone much cheaper" or "Facebook is able to sell any photo you upload with no compensation." I have zero idea how the guy in the article clears $80k per year doing what he does because I don't know anyone who can make that kind of money on stock photography. But I've also never met a photographer who doesn't exaggerate their own success. The world has a lot of insanity right now. It's nothing but a high school popularity contest and the only entities reaping any sort of sustainable reward are companies like facebook who are fully exploiting this mentality. People hate the 1% but they constantly and willingly submit to them for certain reason. In photographer's this would be things like Instagram, Facebook and David Jay. It's amazing how many new photographers submit to David Jay's cheapening of the industry, to hold him in high regards and give him their money so he can live a luxurious life when none of those disciples will ever see the inside of a house like that unless their significant other or parents buy it for them.

I'll bet a Benjamin the guy in the article is going to start selling actions and workshops soon because reality will hit that life is expensive and there's nothing sustainable about the facebook popularity contest.

jim bennett wrote:
Change or die/starve. Times are constantly changing and while I have never worked professionally in photography, I have found in my career that if I am not willing to change and adapt basically all the time my services will no longer be required as someone else will be more than willing to.



Sep 15, 2013 at 01:12 PM
Neven Prasnika
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · How to get 60,000+ Instagram followers


PhilPDX wrote:
Sleeping in a house: 150 followers
Sleeping in a car: 60,000 followers



Actually id' say more like...

Taking snapshots: 150 followers
Taking snapshots with an iPhone: 60000 followers

Let's face it. Images that this guy makes are... nice, but nothing out of the ordinary. The fact he's shooting exclusively with iPhone is what really attracted people. Apple afficionados mostly (but not exclusively... even I'm impressed with my own Galaxy Note photo performance).

But yes, sleeping in a car, being in the natural environment at all times helps too.

Than again, imagine what he could do with his DSLR under the same circumstances. MUCHO better job for sure, and yet... would that get him more followers? Doubt it... so again, iPhone is the magic word here.



Oct 03, 2013 at 10:25 AM
Paul Mo
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · How to get 60,000+ Instagram followers


It is often a cult of personality.

Look at many of the active bloggers and podcasters - general photography talk (nothing special) but it is regular and the content catches the attention of hobbyists who are hungry for tidbits.

Add to that some degree of 'success' in a world in which it is harder to make a living shooting and you have online minor celebrity.

Little substance, lots of marketing, masses of bored consumers wasting huge amounts of time online.



Oct 04, 2013 at 12:06 AM
clay23
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · How to get 60,000+ Instagram followers


Instagram is a great tool, a good friend of mine regularly get new work & new models who have contaced him after seeing his stuff on instagram. No one says you have to put up shots of what you had for breakfast, if used properly it can be a great marketing tool for you and your business.


Oct 04, 2013 at 04:59 PM
miccullen
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · How to get 60,000+ Instagram followers


clay23 wrote:
Instagram is a great tool, a good friend of mine regularly get new work & new models who have contaced him after seeing his stuff on instagram. No one says you have to put up shots of what you had for breakfast, if used properly it can be a great marketing tool for you and your business.


+1



Oct 04, 2013 at 11:24 PM
Karl Johnston
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · How to get 60,000+ Instagram followers


chez wrote:
He has cleared $80,000 shooting with his phone. Just goes to show again, it's not the gear, it's the photographer. You can't argue with that success.


I think photographer should be swapped out for businessperson in that case.



Dec 22, 2013 at 02:02 AM





FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password