New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Again issues with the forum web pages

Rodney O
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Again issues with the forum web pages

Fred,

Just a note to let you know that once again, the page generator which you are using is having problems. When I reported this before people here found that the problem did not show up on their machines with other OS's. I sent you screen shots and examples of the page source code which I am being served. Additionally I was able to identify that this was occurring up near the top of the page with an ad that you are inserting. I listed html coding errors that were being sent out and was able to show that this was occurring from your dynamic page generator. Even though I never heard back from you after a number of days the problem finally went away.

Now it is back this time I have seen it only on the Canon forum. It's been happening for a few days now. Also the page it displays has not changed now for 3 days.

With the recent publication of backdoors and other issues with the ad insert programs, this should be something that FM site needs to solve before people start getting more issues showing up. It really breaks the functionality of the site.

screen shot as it displays this morning on my machine:
http://www.t-e-c.com/Photography-Group/FM-Gallery/subj00C1/8-07 FM Canon forum page errors.jpg
Links to a screen shot & the page source as delivered to my machine
Screen shot from today Canon Forum

page source for the above page as received from FM
page source for above screen

previous post on this issue back in July

Aug 07, 2013 at 10:26 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Again issues with the forum web pages

No such issue from here. Maybe FF and some of the plugins are not playing nice with FM.

EBH

Aug 07, 2013 at 07:58 PM
Rodney O
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Again issues with the forum web pages

Sorry but from what I have seen that is very Doubtful. The page source that comes in plays the same way on other machines.

And this periodic problem is related to the ads that are being served apparently by Fred's Facebook association. Ad systems are known to present issues, particularly Facebooks.

Aug 07, 2013 at 08:25 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Again issues with the forum web pages

I'm a frequent user of '/board/2' (the Canon forum), with IE10 (desktop), FF (notebook), and Safari (iPad). I've never seen anything like your screen shot. My biggest problem (aside from actually being connected) is consistency in font size, and the desktop background on my stupid desktop. IOW, it's pretty robust.

Aug 07, 2013 at 08:39 PM
Rodney O
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Again issues with the forum web pages

To summarize, this apparently happens occasionally on some of the specific forums most often on page1's. And then sometimes on other pages in the same forum but only odd numbered pages. It has happened in as many as 4 or 5 of the different FM forums at a time Mostly it is happening in the Canon forum and most of the time just page1.

All of this points to something that Fred has either changed or allowed a third party to change or changed his relationships with third parties like FaceBook. The first occurrences came when Fred was making some site changes. And I keep mentioning Facebook because of their less that ideal reputation for sending un-proofed code to their subscribed party sites.

It's not my blockers vs Fred's site or it would be happening everywhere on FM and happening all the time. It is due to differences in the page code being sent. And with the FM use of dynamic page generators and the inclusion of un-verified third party items like buttons with links and ads, not everyone receives the exact same page code to display.

So since I see it and others don't, let me ask what is being done on or to your machines that you may not know about? And if you're not concerned, just Google Ad server distributed malware, lack of security for Ad servers.

Kind of disappointing to see Fred's fall into this kind of an issue.

Anyway, when it works I may visit the site, when it doesn't I guess I just won't bother with FM. But I'll miss a number of you, the insightful technical posts, and your fantastic photo posts. But I can still get to the Nature forum most of the time.

Rodney

Aug 07, 2013 at 11:17 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Again issues with the forum web pages

Never had this issue. For some reason, I'm doubting its an issue with FM.

Aug 08, 2013 at 08:07 AM
vilimo
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Again issues with the forum web pages

no issue with FF (on pc and mac) or IE for me

Aug 08, 2013 at 02:48 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Again issues with the forum web pages

Rodney O wrote:
To summarize, this apparently happens occasionally on some of the specific forums most often on page1's. And then sometimes on other pages in the same forum but only odd numbered pages. It has happened in as many as 4 or 5 of the different FM forums at a time Mostly it is happening in the Canon forum and most of the time just page1.

All of this points to something that Fred has either changed or allowed a third party to change or changed his relationships with third parties like FaceBook. The first occurrences came when Fred was making some
...Show more

How many computers or devices do you have that display the pages poorly? If it's only one, I suggest it is your system, not this site.

EBH

Aug 08, 2013 at 07:55 PM
Rodney O
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Again issues with the forum web pages

EB-1,

Thanks for the post. But this happens on multiple machines. The difference between my machines & yours is probably that these machines are using W2k and are very well protected. But the point is that we did not change anything here. And FM started doing this.

Aug 08, 2013 at 08:43 PM
normsmith
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Again issues with the forum web pages

I use Mozila Firefox and never seen anything like what you show.. I do have a problem with your message that it is so wide I have to scroll sideways to read it or minimize it so much the font is hard to read,

Aug 12, 2013 at 08:12 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.