Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2013 · 40 Image "Brenizer" Shot from Friday's Wedding

Cassario
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 40 Image "Brenizer" Shot from Friday's Wedding

Here's one I got this past Friday thought I would share. It's a 40 image stitch. I wrote up how I shot it on SLR Lounge if your interested.
http://www.slrlounge.com/wedding-bokeh-with-image-stitching-how-we-shot-it

http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/7263/wswt.jpg

Another from same wedding...not a Brenizer shot, just a single image I wanted to share.
http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/6618/nh2s.jpg

Edited on Aug 07, 2013 at 11:12 AM · View previous versions

Aug 07, 2013 at 10:23 AM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 40 Image "Brenizer" Shot from Friday's Wedding

40 images yowza.

The dof is nice on 1, I guess...but that just seems like a ton of work

Aug 07, 2013 at 10:43 AM
Guari
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 40 Image "Brenizer" Shot from Friday's Wedding

Most respectfully, I fail to grasp why you needed to create a 40 image stitch?? I am asking for your aesthetic justification, as I understand that with the Brenizer method one tries to emulate bigger formats.

Do you have a "control" picture to compare how it would have looked with a wider focal length under 1 shot scenario with less dof? or maybe a shot with a longer FL standing further away?

I just fail to understand the "why".

As a disclaimer, I am not a wedding photog but I am asking a sincere question. The guy's face is bland and unengaged as it can be. I see no merit in the capture, irregardless of the methodology.

Thanks for sharing

Aug 07, 2013 at 10:52 AM
Cassario
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 40 Image "Brenizer" Shot from Friday's Wedding

The 2nd shot is a single image, just edited the original post. I completely understand the question of why, and the answer is simply DOF. I dont have a sample shot, but I did take a pic with my 24-70mm2.8 and with the same composition, everything is in focus. I didnt have a lens wider than 35mm with an aperture of 1.4, and at 35mm the same thing happened. I had to stand far enough away, that wide open, everything was in focus. This is a venue that has replications of placed in Philly, this being the Art Museum, and there have been a ton of shots taken on these stairs. So, when the bride and groom asked for their pics on the steps, I wanted to give them, and the venue something different than what they have already seen. So to answer your question, the reason why, is simply to get a shot of the bride and groom on the steps with a shallow DOF. You can see in my SLR Lounge article how much of the background fit in the shot with my first image, with that DOF. So a DOF like I have in this image, fitting in as much as I did, would be impossible with an of the lens or equipment that I had available to me. Hope that makes sense.

Aug 07, 2013 at 11:19 AM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 40 Image "Brenizer" Shot from Friday's Wedding

I think these types of images look best when presented larger. If you post them bigger it might look more effective.

Aug 07, 2013 at 11:22 AM
awad
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 40 Image "Brenizer" Shot from Friday's Wedding

its a solid image. the main issue I have with brenizers and the reason why I rarely do them is that it's difficult to get a pose that doesn't look extremely stiff. the DOF and tone are spot on, however their faces are a little too solemn for me.

also i was going to mention how that's a part of the art museum that i've never seen before, until i saw the replica part of your post...

Aug 07, 2013 at 11:29 AM
Guari
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 40 Image "Brenizer" Shot from Friday's Wedding

Cassario wrote:
The 2nd shot is a single image, just edited the original post. I completely understand the question of why, and the answer is simply DOF. I dont have a sample shot, but I did take a pic with my 24-70mm2.8 and with the same composition, everything is in focus. I didnt have a lens wider than 35mm with an aperture of 1.4, and at 35mm the same thing happened. I had to stand far enough away, that wide open, everything was in focus. This is a venue that has replications of placed in Philly, this being the Art Museum, and
...Show more

Thanks for the answer, I guess that makes sense

Aug 07, 2013 at 11:37 AM
Cassario
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 40 Image "Brenizer" Shot from Friday's Wedding

Thanks Tony, good idea...
http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/225/y4jc.jpg

Aug 07, 2013 at 11:57 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 40 Image "Brenizer" Shot from Friday's Wedding

You took the time to shoot 40 images and the dress is blown? I don't get this Brenizer stuff. My 85 1.4 and 35 1.4 do a pretty fantastic job with one click of the shutter.

Aug 07, 2013 at 01:15 PM
Cassario
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 40 Image "Brenizer" Shot from Friday's Wedding

Mine do too, but the 30 seconds it took to take the 40 images to make this, gave me an image that looks different than all the others I got that day....

ok, maybe 40 seconds

Aug 07, 2013 at 01:18 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 40 Image "Brenizer" Shot from Friday's Wedding

Did you intend for details in the highlights to be lost or is that something you can fix? For me that kills the image regardless of any special technique used.

Aug 07, 2013 at 01:36 PM
Cassario
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 40 Image "Brenizer" Shot from Friday's Wedding

They got blown out and I honestly didn't try to bring them back. I will give mess with it a little tonight, but I think because the dress was closer to me than the steps were, they were too out of focus for any details to be saved. If you look at the 2nd step below his feet, you can see how out of focus it is, and her dress was about the same distance away. So you can see the detail lost in the steps. I could take the highlights all the way down on the dress, but it would then end up just looking dull...and out of focus.

Aug 07, 2013 at 01:52 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 40 Image "Brenizer" Shot from Friday's Wedding

So yeah that's my problem here that you took the time to shoot 40 images but not to get proper exposure. Something to remember next time I guess.

Aug 07, 2013 at 01:58 PM
Cassario
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 40 Image "Brenizer" Shot from Friday's Wedding

, to each his own man. I think your failing to understand that I have a 3000 images from this wedding. I have plenty of images...taken on these steps...of her and her dress properly exposed. If you read my article on SLR, I explained that I took this after I already had all of my safe shots. So the reason for posting it was to share it for those who are interested in shots like these. The cool thing about this, was that my clients are fans of my work, and asked me to take a "Brenizer" shot.

So while yes, the highlights are blown out, im willing to live with that with a creative shot where I was pushing the envelope and attempting a shot that had the chances of not coming out at all. When I do a panorama like this, I keep my settings the same for each image, so I set the exposure on the first shot, which is correctly exposed. Thank you for the comment.

Edited on Aug 07, 2013 at 02:45 PM · View previous versions

Aug 07, 2013 at 02:10 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 40 Image "Brenizer" Shot from Friday's Wedding

Cassario wrote:
the 30 seconds it took to take the 40 images to make this

maybe 40 seconds

I would think forty shots would take you much longer than that - but I'm not familiar with the actual technique used with this Method. Isn't a tripod recommended?

Aug 07, 2013 at 02:39 PM
Cassario
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 40 Image "Brenizer" Shot from Friday's Wedding

Nope, no tripod is recommended. You could use a tripod, but its not needed. It is quick, doesnt take long, all of your setting stay the same, you are just moving the camera and snapping the shots you need.

Aug 07, 2013 at 02:43 PM
stevez32
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 40 Image "Brenizer" Shot from Friday's Wedding

Thanks for posting. Sorry you are getting such flak here for it, but I think whenever people post methods for shooting then things can get easily derailed. Sort of like when people post "this is a D800 image I took" when it just came out. Those usually got a ton of critique on whether the image could just as well have been taken with a D700 etc. So I guess what I'm trying to say, is that for better or for worse, when the focus of a post is on equipment or method, you will see a lot of people questioning the reasoning for the focus on equipment/method. Dem are the breaks I guess This also seems to happen with Tilt Shift, and the latest fad of in camera double exposure.

Aug 07, 2013 at 03:18 PM
klee.007
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 40 Image "Brenizer" Shot from Friday's Wedding

joelconner wrote:
40 images yowza.

The dof is nice on 1, I guess...but that just seems like a ton of work

This

Aug 07, 2013 at 03:43 PM
Depth of Feel
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 40 Image "Brenizer" Shot from Friday's Wedding

So basically what I am supposed to be seeing is the effect of a Medium Format 50 1.4?

Aug 07, 2013 at 04:15 PM
Cassario
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 40 Image "Brenizer" Shot from Friday's Wedding

And to explain a little more detail about the why...

There is a calculater online, you can google it, that calculated the lens equivalent that would be needed to take this image. So I ran the numbers.

For those of you that think this image could have been taken with one shot on a wide angle lens, the lens that would be needed to achieve the same composition, perspective, and depth-of-field of this image would be a 22mm F/0.37 lens.

This is the main reason I like to create these images. It's unique. No, you cant get this look with one lens and one click. Could the dress be a little better on the highlights, absolutely, but I would have had to take the time to check the exposure on each shot and most likely I would have run into other issues when it came time to stitch everything together. Its a technique, like tiltshift, like freelensing, like anything else. Once all my safe shots are made, I always attempt the creative not-so safe shots. To be honest, its helped my business grow as fast as it has. So, take it or leave it, to each his own, just wanted to share for those who think like I do. Happy shooting folks!

Aug 07, 2013 at 04:24 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.