Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · VSCO Film 04 is out

joelconner
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · VSCO Film 04 is out

VSCO just released another set of presets all based on positive/slide films. I have never shot slide film, so I was interested in checking them out. I edited some photos from our vacation this spring with the presets and just posted them with my initial thoughts. Check out the samples if you would like:

VSCO Film 04 Review

I know a lot of people like to hate on VSCO as kitschy and such, but as someone who has shot a ton of film in my days, I love what they do...even though I do not really use the presets such in my wedding work.

If anyone else has gotten it, I would love to see what you think as well.

Edited on Aug 21, 2013 at 08:02 PM · View previous versions

Aug 06, 2013 at 08:21 PM
foghorn
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · VSCO Film 04 is out

I grew up thinking print film already looked nostalgic. Not sure why, but it's probably because I didn't know the difference between films when perusing my parents photo albums as a kid. They were pretty serious about photography from the early 70's to the early 80's.
In the 90's, slide film seemed to be favored by any photography book or mag I could get my hands on. I could not believe the almost eye bleeding vibrancy could mix so well with such harsh contrast. But it did. And some of those low speed Velvia's, AGFA's and Kodak E6 films seemed so much sharper in print. I know, technically it wasn't possible, slide film always had smaller grains. But that contrast was the key.
I always took slide films out as a special occasion only. Only 1 stop under and over exposure levels made it a serious thing to consider for each shot.

At first, your set didn't seem special (not the pictures themselves, I'm trying to judge the presets), but I could slowly recall the same nostalgic feelings I got while looking through loops in the 90's, or perhaps so NatGeo mags or myriad of landscape photography books.

The only thing that seems out of character (but still welcome) as that it's too sharp. But I kind of like that.

BTW - your pics are fantastic.

Aug 06, 2013 at 09:13 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · VSCO Film 04 is out

I picked it up too, because there was a lot of slide I liked to shoot back in the day. I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but your samples have me looking forward to it. Lookin' good so far.

Aug 06, 2013 at 09:21 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · VSCO Film 04 is out

photographers be like:

Aug 06, 2013 at 09:23 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · VSCO Film 04 is out

Get ready for everyone to start showing us their new "style" they've developed.

Aug 06, 2013 at 09:40 PM
SGallant
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · VSCO Film 04 is out

canerino wrote:
photographers be like:

Holy crap Chuck, that is too funny!

Aug 06, 2013 at 09:48 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · VSCO Film 04 is out

D. Diggler wrote:
Get ready for everyone to start showing us their new "style" they've developed. http://www2.b3ta.com/host/creative/59678/1221786431/Eyeroll.gif

Actually, I don't plan to use it for my business at all. I bought it for my personal shooting.

Aug 06, 2013 at 10:54 PM
silentwings
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · VSCO Film 04 is out

Just grab it this evening, apply a few to my test shots. Compared to former packs, these slide film presets tend to pull out more contrast & saturation at first glance. I had no experience in any of these films, so I had no idea what these effects actually look like. I am not a landscape photographer either, these test shots just show how the presets look like by simply clicking (only tweak exposure and black slider as well as applying gradient in some of these shots, and set grain = 0 to all images, the rest are untouched).

All test shots made by Leica M8 + Voigtlander 28 f/1.9.

Edited on Aug 06, 2013 at 11:35 PM · View previous versions

Aug 06, 2013 at 11:32 PM
silentwings
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · VSCO Film 04 is out

#2nd set ~~~

Aug 06, 2013 at 11:33 PM
abadass
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · VSCO Film 04 is out

SGallant wrote:
Holy crap Chuck, that is too funny!

HAHA. almost forgot about that song. always got a good laugh.

Aug 07, 2013 at 03:28 AM
Seppo Ilmarine

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · VSCO Film 04 is out

I've used vsco with all of my 5D photos. I think they are at the very least, interesting. I should shoot more so I could play with the presets more

Can't wait to test 04! Pity they didn't want to try to emulate Kodachrome.

Aug 07, 2013 at 04:14 AM
flash
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · VSCO Film 04 is out

silentwings wrote:
Just grab it this evening, apply a few to my test shots. Compared to former packs, these slide film presets tend to pull out more contrast & saturation at first glance. I had no experience in any of these films, so I had no idea what these effects actually look like. I am not a landscape photographer either, these test shots just show how the presets look like by simply clicking (only tweak exposure and black slider as well as applying gradient in some of these shots, and set grain = 0 to all images, the rest are untouched).

All
...Show more

I did the same on a few M9 files. Ironic using a Velvia preset on a kodak sensor designed to look like Kodachrome.

Gordon

Aug 07, 2013 at 04:56 AM
foghorn
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · VSCO Film 04 is out

Seppo Ilmarine wrote:
I've used vsco with all of my 5D photos. I think they are at the very least, interesting. I should shoot more so I could play with the presets more

Can't wait to test 04! Pity they didn't want to try to emulate Kodachrome.

They probably never will. Nobody develops Kodachrome anymore, so they can't test it.

Aug 07, 2013 at 07:10 AM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · VSCO Film 04 is out

I had VSCO 1 & 2.... but I grew out of it. I have a new puter, I dont think I will reinstall them. It cluttered up my LR too much.

Aug 07, 2013 at 07:42 AM
photosymbol
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · VSCO Film 04 is out

I have nothing to say about the filters, but your images Joel from your trip are awesome!

Aug 07, 2013 at 07:50 AM
Jeff Simpson
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · VSCO Film 04 is out

these VSCO presets are so abused.. when will the fad end!! probably never :P

Aug 07, 2013 at 08:21 AM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · VSCO Film 04 is out

me love slide film....
Bring back lots of memories.

Loved the Kodak for there browns/oranges ... think fall colors.
Fuji for greens and blues.

Aug 07, 2013 at 09:52 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · VSCO Film 04 is out

"Fad." lol

Since when is choosing a specific processed goal, that's similar to something that's been in use over the course of DECADES, a "fad"? People have been choosing these FILMS for decades because they wish to achieve a specific look and style of contrast, color and tone in their post production.

Specifically speaking, I used several types of slide films in the 80's/90's to achieve specofic tones of colors in various shooting conditions - like many today STILL DO. Making those choices in processing now is a "fad"?

Because we shoot digital today, is there some written rule that we push sliders on contrast, curves, colors, and such with our own mouse for it to "not be a fad"? Is it written somewhere that we are not allowed to use tools to achieve results we may have 10, 20, even 30 years ago?

I bought this latest pack for my personal shooting. I knew up front it probably would not be something I'd apply to my wedding work. I also really enjoy VSCO's "tools" over any others have created, or even those I've created myself.

This company has made it easier to achieve timeless proven looks and results, and too many people are bent about their success. It cracks me up.

Aug 07, 2013 at 10:05 AM
Wolfe_boy
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · VSCO Film 04 is out

Personally, I love their Agfa Scala emulation.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2879/9457289906_e23569a098_b.jpg

Aug 07, 2013 at 10:19 AM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · VSCO Film 04 is out

amonline wrote:
I bought this latest pack for my personal shooting. I knew up front it probably would not be something I'd apply to my wedding work.

Why not your wedding work? Style?

Aug 07, 2013 at 12:15 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.