New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Canon 7D vs 70D

SzZsu
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 7D vs 70D

I still shot with a 40D. Which one you recommend to upgrade to: 7D or 70D ? My lenses are Canon 17-40L and Canon 70-300L.

Aug 06, 2013 at 06:12 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 7D vs 70D

I'd wait until the 70d is available before buying one. There might also be some reviews once production units come out.

Aug 06, 2013 at 06:41 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 7D vs 70D

70d looks like most of the performance of a 7d with a few new things.

7D will still have better af (for configuration) better viewfinder and build etc.

But we really dont know enough about the 70d yet to say.

Aug 06, 2013 at 07:25 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 7D vs 70D

RobDickinson wrote:
70d looks like most of the performance of a 7d with a few new things.

7D will still have better af (for configuration) better viewfinder and build etc.

But we really dont know enough about the 70d yet to say.

yeah hard to say yet, the video AF will certainly be much better

they did remove spot and area AF from it for some reason (compared to the 7D AF unit which they appear to have otherwise placed in it and fully enabled, although we don't know if it relies on the main CPU for still uses the extra CPU for more speed in tracking calculations)

MFA is better on it than on the 7D

flip screen is nice

not sure about shutter reaction time and mirror blackout and such

A real wild card is the sensor. It is a bit worrisome they haven't gone bragging even a peep on the new sensor's IQ. But maybe somehow by a miracle we get lucky and it has much improved DR at low ISO. (And maybe it rids the 7D vertical gain banding and improves high ISO 1/2 stop or something?? I haven't looked at the samples much, some claim it looks to have identical high ISO SNR, we will see.)

Aug 06, 2013 at 08:08 PM
SzZsu
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 7D vs 70D

Thank you very much for your replies. I will wait until the reviews. The only thing so far I don't like the 70D is the SD card it takes.
I have the 70-300 L lens from Canon. Do you think it will be faster focus on the 7D and 70D cameras since on the 40D is very slow on auto focus. It never finds the target fast enough or this is some problem of the lens itself?

Aug 06, 2013 at 08:10 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 7D vs 70D

skibum5 wrote:
But maybe somehow by a miracle we get lucky and it has much improved ...

Now there is a resounding note of optimism

Aug 06, 2013 at 08:24 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 7D vs 70D

SzZsu wrote:
Thank you very much for your replies. I will wait until the reviews. The only thing so far I don't like the 70D is the SD card it takes.
I have the 70-300 L lens from Canon. Do you think it will be faster focus on the 7D and 70D cameras since on the 40D is very slow on auto focus. It never finds the target fast enough or this is some problem of the lens itself?

SD cards are a problem?!?

Aug 06, 2013 at 08:27 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 7D vs 70D

Jeff Nolten wrote:

maybe

Aug 07, 2013 at 12:05 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 7D vs 70D

SzZsu wrote:

Ah yeah the SD thing means likely a slower clearing buffer, with a super fast card the 7D has decent buffer space and clearance. No idea what the 70D buffer specs are, something for you to check into, if you care.

It (70-300L) should be at least a bit faster on the 7D than on the 40D. Probably also on the 70D unless maybe they left out the dedicated tracking CPU? I doubt they did that since it would simpler just copy the code and AF system over, but then again they do seem to do lots of little variations despite the waste, so who knows.

Aug 07, 2013 at 12:08 AM
SzZsu
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon 7D vs 70D

Not really, I just have a bunch of CF cards for the 40D. Also my dell monitor does not read the sd cards directly.

Aug 07, 2013 at 12:41 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon 7D vs 70D

Love my 7D and other than the video I can't see a compelling reason to change to the 70D . (I'll have to have a good look at the IQ samples later )

The 7D has a few AF advantages that the 70D lacks (spot and zone AF) which makes the 70D a non starter for me anyway .

I upgraded to the 7D from a 40D and have to say I have no regrets , it is a much better camera in every way .

As for the SD card thing . Ok yeah you may have a bunch of CF cards for the 40D but unless you have bought cards way too fast for the 40D (in which case you over spent) then even if you buy a 7D you will likely buy new faster (probably larger) cards for the 7D anyway .
At least decent SD cards are cheaper than decent CF cards

As for the speed of CF v SD . its not that simple . Cf is not always faster . Infact I mostly use SD via an adapter in my 7D (ease of transfer to my laptop & iPad) and the 32gb class 10 SD cards I use are faster (buy a fair bit) than most of my old CF cards . Only my transcend 400x is faster .
I bet new fast SD cards in the 70D won't be that slow . Of course if canon use the sc slot from the 5D3 they are really handicapping the camera

Aug 07, 2013 at 01:40 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon 7D vs 70D

Jeff Nolten wrote:

Looking at a 70D ISO100 RAW file.... I may have been TOO optimistic there.

Aug 07, 2013 at 02:36 AM
Squirrely Eyed
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon 7D vs 70D

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
As for the speed of CF v SD . its not that simple . Cf is not always faster . Infact I mostly use SD via an adapter in my 7D (ease of transfer to my laptop & iPad) and the 32gb class 10 SD cards I use are faster (buy a fair bit) than most of my old CF cards . Only my transcend 400x is faster .
I bet new fast SD cards in the 70D won't be that slow . Of course if canon use the sc slot from the 5D3 they are really handicapping the camera
...Show more

Ian, which adapter do you use for that? I had looked at a couple to use for my 7D but found highly mixed reviews on their reliability & speed.

To the OP:
The 70-300L should focus lightning fast on a 7D, at least that was my experience when testing one out. Love my 7D and the 70D is, to me, not a compelling upgrade.

You didn't mention anything about what type of usage you expect to have with it. It's hard to compare different tools without knowing how they will be used.

Aug 07, 2013 at 07:37 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon 7D vs 70D

Squirrely Eyed wrote:
Ian, which adapter do you use for that? I had looked at a couple to use for my 7D but found highly mixed reviews on their reliability & speed.

this is the one i use (i think)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0052GXXWY/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i say i think because its the one in my amazon order but im sure its a different colour , I'll have to look when I get home .

i got it mainly to use the Transcend Wifi SD card which i dont use so much now (transfer rates are slow to the ipad)

dont get me wrong Im not saying I get anywhere near fast CF cards speeds with the adapter . My Transcend 400X cards are much quicker , but the adapter with my Samsung 32gb Class 10 SD (in fact they are micro SD) is much faster at clearing the buffer than the bunch of Sandisk Ultra 2's that I used to use in my 40D .

Aug 07, 2013 at 08:32 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon 7D vs 70D

You can get Sandisk SD cards that can keep up with the 6D- I use the Extreme Pro to get all 17 RAW burst shots without issue.

The only problem with SD cards for DSLRs is the controllers in the cameras not being fast enough for RAW video; the cards are definitely fast enough.

Aug 07, 2013 at 09:06 AM
dnauer

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon 7D vs 70D

SzZsu wrote:

Interesting - -I too shoot a 40D (I was a very early adopter of that camera, the 30D was still out when I bought it) and am pre-ordered on the 70D. I find my 70-300L to be very fast focusing, not as fast as my 200 f2.8L prime, but still very fast. Maybe it is the difference between the kind of subjects we shoot -- I mainly shoot dog sports outdoors in good light when pressing the focus on the 70-300L.

Aug 13, 2013 at 10:14 AM
jim atyeo

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon 7D vs 70D

The speed of the buffer download on the 7D is because it uses two processors like the D series cameras. Haven't heard that the new 70D will have the dual processors.
Most likely Canon will leave that specialty to the 7D and any replacement for that camera. It gives them a reason to charge more.

Aug 14, 2013 at 09:25 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon 7D vs 70D

jim atyeo wrote:
The speed of the buffer download on the 7D is because it uses two processors like the D series cameras. Haven't heard that the new 70D will have the dual processors.
Most likely Canon will leave that specialty to the 7D and any replacement for that camera. It gives them a reason to charge more.

The number of processors is meaningless- it could have 10 and be slower, or have one and be five times as fast. The latter is actually very likely.

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:43 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon 7D vs 70D

Really? Then why do the Canon engineers install dual digic processors?

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:45 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon 7D vs 70D

Paul Mo wrote:
Really? Then why do the Canon engineers install dual digic processors?

Because they can. Because using two or three processors that are already in production and part of other current cameras is cheaper (for Canon) than designing and producing a single new processor to do all of the same functions.

Processors in cameras are the bottom of the barrel- they are significantly behind the curve that cell phone processors ride on, which are themselves behind the industry leaders like Intel, IBM, TI, and Samsung, to name a few. Course Samsung makes some of those; but they're not very good .

Canon could make a camera that takes SSD's and could shoot 60FPS at 20MP in a lossless format until it runs out of storage today. It's not a matter of technology, it's a matter of return on investment.

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:50 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.