Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Travel cases for strobes

jasoncallen
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Travel cases for strobes

Hi guys! I'm looking for recommendations on road cases for my strobe kit based on what you own and have used.

I've got the following, and I'd like to see about getting most of it into one wheeled case for transport:
- Alien Bees B1600
- 2x Alien Bees B800
- 3x Alien Bees 7" reflectors
- 3x 7" grids
- spare bulbs, gels, clothespins
- Alien Bees Vagabond (Mini/Lithium) & charger
- 3x RadioPopper JRX receivers
- RadioPopper JRX Transmitter
- Sekonic L-358s light meter

Ideally I'd like stackable or rigid cases, so I can pile them in my SUV, so likely hardshell cases will be what I get (I previously owned, and was not impressed by the protection of Alien Bees soft cases).

My plan right now is to get a Pelican 1650 and pluck the foam for the 3 flash heads and battery pack, then pluck out a large area for a padded case to contain the JRX transmitter/receivers. The bulbs (packed in bubblewrap) and the light meter can go in that same cavity with the JRX kit.

Do any of you have the Pelican 1650, and can you fit the above items in that case? Any of you guys using something different for a similar lighting kit? Should I go with two smaller Pelican cases instead of the big one? Any other brands I should consider? Thanks in advance!

Aug 06, 2013 at 10:27 PM
shutterbug guy
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Travel cases for strobes

Right now I'm using a footlocker that I purchased from an Army PX and the cases that Paul Buff sells for each individual Einstein (4) plus a couple of vagabonds and their cases also. It's a working solution but I feel should be upgraded and I'm interested in other people's approaches.

A possibility would be the Logistics Manager 30 rolling case from Think Tank. It looks huge and it looks like it might be useful for my uses and possibly yours.

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/logisticsmanager30.aspx

Just my 2 cents,

Roger

Aug 07, 2013 at 02:34 AM
jasoncallen
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Travel cases for strobes

I was thinking of a less expensive solution that has hard-sided walls. Specifically this one:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/415697-REG/Pelican_1650_020_190_1650_Case_with_Foam.html

Aug 07, 2013 at 03:45 AM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Travel cases for strobes

I have 2 1650 for 2 Hensel kits. I find them big and heavy but they carry what I need. I use the divider system, I find it easier to reconfigure. I never end up liking how I pluck the foam

Aug 07, 2013 at 04:03 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Tom Robinson

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Travel cases for strobes

I've been using the Photoflex rolling transport cases for years. Fits a good size kit with stands, boom, cords etc. Reasonably priced and hold up well. 1st one lasted for 8 years.
IThe Lightware cases are the best and made in USA, but I couldn't justify $750 for it.

Aug 07, 2013 at 12:03 PM
jasoncallen
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Travel cases for strobes

Big and heavy is OK! (I don't plan on doing much air travel for my freelance photography work just yet) I just want the gear to get from point "A" to point "B" in one piece! Glad to hear that you've got 2 that are working out for you, Micky!

For anyone else in my shoes, I found this archived FM thread after a lot of digging on google:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/551904

First post in there answered all the questions I had about how my system will fit a Pelican 1650! Ordered one this morning. Thanks shutterbug guy & Micky!

Aug 07, 2013 at 12:05 PM
elkhornsun
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Travel cases for strobes

The Pelican 1620 will hole everything except possibly the 7" AB reflectors. If you can use a space for the reflectors nested and cables and cords the setup might work out fine.

This is in part why I like using Quantum Qflash as they work with either reflectors or the collabsible Norman 19" softbox-umbrellas. Takes 10 seconds to pop the Norman open and have softbox or to put on a hood or to use the flash bare bulb. Nice having full TTL, compatibility with Nikon or Canon i-TTL and e-TTL and having RF wireless range up to 600 feet and fast ratio adjustment.

I used standard studio strobes and hauled them around in custom cases before discovering the Quantum which provide more than enough power, have battery packs, lots of available modifiers, road tough, compact, and bullet-proof. I shrank my lighting kit by more than two thirds and have a faster setup, faster adjustments of the lighting, and faster take down.

Aug 12, 2013 at 11:26 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password