70-200mm
50mm
85mm

Sony Nex-7
19mm
30mm
18-55mm

I really overpacked!

For this year's trip to Maui, I am only brining my RX1.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8476/8104687962_d3e28f4e11_b.jpg
Waimea Canyon by rodknee_ty2003, on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8327/8104686344_f68a27d710_b.jpg
Napali Coast by rodknee_ty2003, on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8325/8094650199_b4fb7537c9_b.jpg
DSC_6415 by rodknee_ty2003, on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8329/8090804606_fdc3defb41_b.jpg
Makena Beach 2 - Maui by rodknee_ty2003, on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8187/8094678252_791c686f06_b.jpg
DSC_6284 by rodknee_ty2003, on Flickr

no..you didn't. You got amazing shots. That's what cameras are for....to take with you.

Aug 19, 2013 at 01:11 AM
Ghostinz
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Best travel combo

I spent some time trying to figure out the "minimum". Then I asked myself why buy all this gear if I am not going to use it. When I play pool, I don't leave my best cue at home. When I pack clothes, I take what I like and what works. So when I go somewhere that is going to allow me to take photographs, I bring most of my gear, including my tripod.

Aug 19, 2013 at 01:13 AM
Two23
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Best travel combo

Ghostinz wrote:
I spent some time trying to figure out the "minimum". Then I asked myself why buy all this gear if I am not going to use it. When I play pool, I don't leave my best cue at home. When I pack clothes, I take what I like and what works. So when I go somewhere that is going to allow me to take photographs, I bring most of my gear, including my tripod.

I used to feel that way, then I began to understand that the "cue" really does very little. It's all about knowing where to hit the ball. Once you understand that, pretty much any stick will do. There is a great value in having the smallest camera bag that will work for what you are doing. For most of this year I've been shooting a vintage Leica IIIc and a small assortment of Leica lenses. They are tiny! Using a small but capable system like this has put the joy back into photography. Years of experience has given the confidence to pick up just about any camera and lens knowing I have the ability to get the shots. The shots are coming from me, not the gear.

Kent in SD

Aug 19, 2013 at 08:24 AM
harvey steeves
• •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Best travel combo

these days, I like travelling with my OMDs, one I use and one for spare. body(thumb grip), 17/1.8, 75/1.8 - I'm there.

Aug 19, 2013 at 08:45 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Best travel combo

Chris - where'd your post go ?!

Aug 19, 2013 at 09:35 PM
Ghostinz
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Best travel combo

Two23 wrote:
I used to feel that way, then I began to understand that the "cue" really does very little. It's all about knowing where to hit the ball. Once you understand that, pretty much any stick will do. There is a great value in having the smallest camera bag that will work for what you are doing. For most of this year I've been shooting a vintage Leica IIIc and a small assortment of Leica lenses. They are tiny! Using a small but capable system like this has put the joy back into photography. Years of experience has given the confidence
...Show more

Nice analogy using the "cue". Can we agree that instead of "any stick will do" its more of "any quality stick will do"? Yes, it is about knowing where to hit the ball, or in this case using the right gear. I think my point is more along the lines that if you spend $1500 on a good pool cue that was straight and had a solid tip, why would you leave it at home and use a crooked house cue with a broken and worn down tip? In the same way, why spend thousands on quality gear, only to figure out how to leave most of it at home?? While I can concur that at times it is not practical to bring it all, or substitute a small super zoom or ILC in its place, for the most part we buy equipment to use.

Aug 20, 2013 at 12:39 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Best travel combo

Best combo IS THE ONE YOU BRING Try to live life w/o regrets...whenever possible.

Aug 20, 2013 at 06:47 AM
liamtoh1

p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Best travel combo

trenchmonkey wrote:
Best combo IS THE ONE YOU BRING Try to live life w/o regrets...whenever possible.

Trenchmonkey... you've nailed it.

Aug 20, 2013 at 07:03 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Best travel combo

I have to say that I have far more regrets in not having the right equipment with me when the sky breaks loose with a spectacular sunrise or sunset, or a bison, bighorn, or bear walks right across my path, rather than the regret of temporary muscle pain when carrying my best equipment and instead am caught with my basic motorcycle travel kit (D7100 & 24-85mm, or even P7000). Of course it's a matter of what your plans are, and what you will photograph, but if you are serious, then use the best you can afford and carry for the job at hand. Don't be redundant, and use what you use. Unless you're a collector. But if you are redundant sell something, and replace with an item that's better.

As far as the "cue" analogy, or golf clubs, skis, what have you... Don't kid yourself, there is a huge difference. There are reasons some cameras cost $3,300 versus $550. Or record turntables (from $50 to $100,000 which I'm now researching, they look the same but aren't). The best equipment you can afford will help lift your talents up, the end result is what counts.

-----------------------------------------
Two23 wrote:
...then I began to understand that the "cue" really does very little. It's all about knowing where to hit the ball. Once you understand that, pretty much any stick will do.

Kent in SD

As someone who used to be very, very serious about pool long ago I have to comment on your analogy. (Although I can't play at all anymore because of my aged eyes and lack of practice).

The cue matters. A player's cue becomes an extension of them. It's polished and smoothed with 0000 steel wool until it slides through the back of the hand and your bridge effortlessly, nothing sticks. The cue weight too is also an important consideration, a 15 versus 17, 19 or 21 cue can make a huge difference (and mistake) in your shot results. So does straightness, and the tip... And for some, even the color. It can become an obsession. Each player finds their perfect cue.

Then the table... there's nothing like a beautiful slate, green cloth 9' billiard table, perfectly set up, leveled, vacuumed & brushed under nice lighting. When everything is working right, you can play for 10 hours straight or longer...

The analogy is like saying Tiger Woods takes my crappy golf clubs and beats me at golf. It means nothing. Fact, a better cue makes you a better player, unless you are at the beginner's level.

Aug 20, 2013 at 11:45 AM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Best travel combo

1. 11-16 Tokina

2. 18-something

3. 55-250 and/or 180 Tamron+1.4

If I'm on a plane $2-10 tripod (garage sale

Aug 23, 2013 at 07:02 PM
rodizzle33
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Best travel combo

Thank You! You're right but I am trying to get acquainted with one focal length and try to take the best photos with that length. Sometimes I get caught up with trying to take a photo rather than enjoying the moment!

Aug 23, 2013 at 11:20 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.