New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Trees & Barns

Lee Wiren
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Trees & Barns

Traveling back from Idaho (to PDX) I picked up a few shots.... most unfortunately were during the mid-day sweltering sun with little in the way of clouds in the sky... thoughts?

Grove of tree's near Pendleton, OR

Old farm outside of Lime, OR

Decaying barn in Sherman, OR

Mt. Adams sunrise from balcony of my hotel in Hood River, OR

Aug 06, 2013 at 02:54 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Trees & Barns

Wonderful drive down the gorge, magnificent scenery.

Admired that or a similar stand of trees, cottonwoods?, near Umatilla.

On this laptop the images look flat to me, especially #1. Also suggest removing wires in #3 & 4. #2 shows expanse of view nicely, maybe more room at right?
#4 also remove building etc. in foreground - adds little to image.

Regards,

Bob

Aug 06, 2013 at 06:57 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Trees & Barns

+1 @ Bob.

They all look kind of flat/soft/detail challenged ... processing or maybe resizing/posting induced. Not a big fan of the uber-blue wb on #4. Would like to see at least some snow and some shadows closer to neutral to anchor things.

Lovely scenes, just seems a bit "off" from your other work I've enjoyed. 1 & 4 are under soft light, so you might need a boost in contrast/sharp to offset that a bit. Not sure if you were going for a "soft look" by artistic intent though, so take this with a grain of salt if that's the case.

Aug 06, 2013 at 07:10 PM
Lee Wiren
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Trees & Barns

RustyBug wrote:
+1 @ Bob.

Lovely scenes, just seems a bit "off" from your other work I've enjoyed. 1 & 4 are under soft light, so you might need a boost in contrast/sharp to offset that a bit. Not sure if you were going for a "soft look" by artistic intent though, so take this with a grain of salt if that's the case.

Actually, I was going for the "soft look" - like a painting.. may have overdone on some, still playing around with these.

I appreciate your opinions, otherwise I wouldn't bother to post.

Cheers

Lee

Aug 06, 2013 at 08:24 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Trees & Barns

Lee,
I agree with the others.
I'd love to see the SOOC on the first. It is an interesting POV and I wonder about reprocessing both color and BW.
Scott

Aug 06, 2013 at 08:25 PM
Lee Wiren
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Trees & Barns

Bob Jarman wrote:
On this laptop the images look flat to me, especially #1. Also suggest removing wires in #3 & 4. #2 shows expanse of view nicely, maybe more room at right?
#4 also remove building etc. in foreground - adds little to image.

Bob

Thanks Bob, images are flat due to going for painted look... I don't have PS, just LR, so removing the wires will prove challenging for me....

I felt the building in #4 shows a relative size of the mountain looming, that's why i'll leave it in... artistic intent on my part.

Thanks for the comments.... it was a great drive with the wife and a wonderful time spent poking around the Oregon countryside....

Lee

Aug 06, 2013 at 08:27 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Trees & Barns

Lee Wiren wrote:
Actually, I was going for the "soft look" - like a painting..

I thought that might be the case ... the compression/resize may be looking rather diff than your full size files and not translate as well here.

Aug 06, 2013 at 08:57 PM
Avelineix

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Trees & Barns

Wonderful

Aug 06, 2013 at 10:48 PM
Lee Wiren
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Trees & Barns

sbeme wrote:
Lee,
I agree with the others.
I'd love to see the SOOC on the first. It is an interesting POV and I wonder about reprocessing both color and BW.
Scott

Scott, I tried processing the shot in B/W, to me there always seems to be a "negative" (as in film) effect in the upper parts of the trees that I just didn't like.

As you asked, here is a copy of the SOOC shot... with my OM 135/2.8, I believe I was at f11 on this shot, had a CPL on the lens as well.

Lee

Aug 07, 2013 at 02:28 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.