New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Legacy lens only: NEX vs Fuji vs m43

0jjcpa123

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Legacy lens only: NEX vs Fuji vs m43

I have NEX-5N and will get another body to mount legacy lens (C/Y). Can I still think NEX is best among these 3 for legacy lens?

I can shoot either raw (right now with my 5N) or jpeg (with my x100) but prefer jpeg. I am consider nex-6, xe1 and ep5/gx7.

Thanks, JJCPA

Aug 06, 2013 at 12:49 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Legacy lens only: NEX vs Fuji vs m43

That's a tough choice. The advantage of m4/3 is the outstanding native glass. While you get IS with all adapted lenses (a big plus), the 2x crop factor makes it much less usable for using ONLY adapted glass (getting anything really wide is quite tough...even a 14mm lens is only a moderate wide angle on m4/3).

Between the NEX and Fuji is very tough. The NEX has better implemented focus peaking at the moment (though the Fuji's peaking is certainly helpful), though the Fuji's JPEG engine is considerably better, and since you say you like shooting JPEG more, that might tilt you towards the Fuji...best JPEG output I've seen.

Aug 06, 2013 at 01:01 PM
philber
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Legacy lens only: NEX vs Fuji vs m43

Yes, NEX is best for C/Y lenses. Also consider adding a SpeedBooster, for spectacular results and more options. Considering you have a 5N, I'd probably buy a 6, in order to have its benefits. But I could understand your wanting two identical cameras.

Aug 06, 2013 at 01:06 PM
0jjcpa123

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Legacy lens only: NEX vs Fuji vs m43

Thanks for your help. Forgot to mention the reason to get a new one is that I need EVF.

Aug 06, 2013 at 01:45 PM
0jjcpa123

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Legacy lens only: NEX vs Fuji vs m43

In my case (I use C/Y 28mm, 50mm, 35-70, 85mm and 135mm), is it fair to say that SpeedBooster is pretty much same as NEX-FF?
philber wrote:
Yes, NEX is best for C/Y lenses. Also consider adding a SpeedBooster, for spectacular results and more options. Considering you have a 5N, I'd probably buy a 6, in order to have its benefits. But I could understand your wanting two identical cameras.

Aug 06, 2013 at 02:28 PM
artur5
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Legacy lens only: NEX vs Fuji vs m43

Speed Booster + APS-C NEX = FF NEX ?.. Of course, we won't know until the FF NEX reveals itself but I'm pretty sure that the SB solution may be a sort of poor man's FF NEX, but not a substitute for a real FF mirrorless.

Aug 06, 2013 at 03:05 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Legacy lens only: NEX vs Fuji vs m43

0jjcpa123 wrote:
Thanks for your help. Forgot to mention the reason to get a new one is that I need EVF.

Then why don't you just get the EVF?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=819651&is=REG&Q=&A=details

Aug 06, 2013 at 03:39 PM
0jjcpa123

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Legacy lens only: NEX vs Fuji vs m43

Couple of reasons: expensive, not easy to put in the bag or pocket.

Aug 06, 2013 at 03:47 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Legacy lens only: NEX vs Fuji vs m43

I've got a 5n and 7, which I use with legacy and native glass. If you like your 5n, I would recommend that you get a 6 if you want an integrated EVF. I think that camera is a really good value and it works better with RF wides than the Nex 7 and the Fuji.

The only reason I can see for you going with the Fuji would be if you strongly prefer the jpeg output. That's pretty subjective and you need to decide that for yourself.

The only reason to go to the Oly would be for IBIS, but I personally wouldn't go for the smaller sensor in exchange for IBIS. First of all, IBIS doesn't do anything for moving subjects and secondly with a very useable ISO 1600 on the Sony and reasonably fast glass, I don't think you need it. Personally, I've recently moved from using the Sony 35/1.8 with OSS to the Touit 32 without OSS and I haven't seen any degradation in image quality from the lack of OSS. I'm just careful to keep an eye on my shutter speed and adjust ISO and Aperture as necessary.

Aug 06, 2013 at 03:59 PM
PNArruda

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Legacy lens only: NEX vs Fuji vs m43

I quite like my Fuji X-E1 with legacy lenses. The 3x and 10x magnification make it much easier to get accurate focus. It just got better with the recent firmware and focus peaking. It appears that a future firmware will enable different focus peak colours which improves it even further.

If you go the SpeedBooster path, you can also get one for C/Y -> FX.

P.

Aug 06, 2013 at 05:02 PM
0jjcpa123

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Legacy lens only: NEX vs Fuji vs m43

Thanks, still could not decide.

I have good experience with Fuji and still keep X100 and S5Pro. Very impressive with their jpeg engine.

No experience with m4/3, but used E-1 and E300 (still have this), both are CCD and colors are good too.

Like focus peak and magnification by touch screen on NEX-5N. The only thing with NEX is I have to use raw.

Probably I will pick up one between NEX-6 and X-E1.

Aug 06, 2013 at 05:22 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Legacy lens only: NEX vs Fuji vs m43

0jjcpa123 wrote:
Probably I will pick up one between NEX-6 and X-E1.

I don't think you can go wrong. If there's a store that's convenient to you that has both, maybe you should just play with them both in the store and see if you prefer the ergonomics of one to the other and make your decision that way.

Aug 06, 2013 at 05:25 PM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Legacy lens only: NEX vs Fuji vs m43

I loved my Speed Booster on my NEX-6, really made a big difference. Let me know if you want to go that route, I have my C/Y to Nex Speed Booster up on the B&S forums.

Aug 06, 2013 at 06:35 PM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Legacy lens only: NEX vs Fuji vs m43

Yup, hard to go wrong with the NEX-6 vs Fuji for alt glass.

Two important factors to look into:

1. How the two cameras feel to you in hand, and in the files they produce. Do this in person if possible.

2. How the two cameras handle the wider lenses you plan to use when it comes to corner color/smearing. Read some reviews if you can't test this yourself. My understanding, for instance, is that the NEX 5 was MUCH better than the NEX 7 in this regard. No idea with the 6.

Aug 07, 2013 at 04:02 AM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Legacy lens only: NEX vs Fuji vs m43

justruss wrote:
Yup, hard to go wrong with the NEX-6 vs Fuji for alt glass.

Two important factors to look into:

1. How the two cameras feel to you in hand, and in the files they produce. Do this in person if possible.

2. How the two cameras handle the wider lenses you plan to use when it comes to corner color/smearing. Read some reviews if you can't test this yourself. My understanding, for instance, is that the NEX 5 was MUCH better than the NEX 7 in this regard. No idea with the 6.

The 6 is almost identical to the 5N/5R in performance (same sensor as 5R, 5N has a closely related sensor). Fuji's suck hard, arguably worse than the NEX-7 for that particular criteria

It's a largely irrelevant consideration for someone adapting C/Y glass though, as the corner issues are limited almost entirely to wide rangefinder lenses.

Personally I consider the NEX line to be superior for adaptation of lenses, better peaking and available fully-coupled adapters to EF and A mounts as well as better compatibility with symmetrical wide-angle lenses (which is the sort of lens that causes corner issues). The Fuji X-E1 should be a little behind but quite good if you like the output of the X-Trans sensor (which personally I've got issues with).

Frankly my take is NEX for adaptation, m43 for native, Fuji if you want a mix of both.

Aug 07, 2013 at 07:31 AM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Legacy lens only: NEX vs Fuji vs m43

I'm a Leica user and my choice was NEX or Fuji. As a Fuji S5 owner I was well aware of the OOC jpegs you can get but the NEX was just so much easier to focus and I ended up with a NEX-7.

I use a CV 15 and Leica 24 on the NEX and they are fine, I'm much less concerned with IQ than most; save in RAW & jpeg but mostly use jpeg. If you're concerned about the corners take one step backward and crop, but I'm much more interested with what's happening in the shot and the great focus peaking on the NEX is really helpful.

Aug 07, 2013 at 08:51 AM
0jjcpa123

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Legacy lens only: NEX vs Fuji vs m43

I just went to our local store and tried both. I like the feel of NEX-6 in my hand - much bigger grip to hold. X-E1 is bigger and heavier, something like my X100.

Aug 14, 2013 at 04:30 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.