New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2013 · Best Disney Gear - Video & Photo

Medic193

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Best Disney Gear - Video & Photo

This summer I spent a week at Disneyland then went to Japan for a month and hit Tokyo Disney for a week. I bought a 6d specifically as a travel option. Which on a side note, is a phenomenal travel camera. I decided to only take my 24-105 and it worked out great. Took it to the parks and all over Japan, every single day. Never once had a problem, nor did it ever get in the way. And in Japan, that is saying something, because "personal space," doesn't mean anything over there. I think anything faster than a 4 would have weighed me down. Highly recommend this set up.

Aug 09, 2013 at 06:53 PM
camptown
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Best Disney Gear - Video & Photo

Hopefully nobody will fault me too much for reviving my thread, but I wanted to provide a "post trip" synopsis.

I ended up taking my 5diii and both lenses, the 24-70 and 70-200 2.8 is (both versions 1). The ONLY lens I took to the park and shot with was the 24-70 and I carried it primarily in a tamrac over the shoulder sling bag (like this one: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/682087-REG/Tamrac_576985_5769_Velocity_9x_Sling.html).

Here are my thoughts.

The 24-70 worked great for me. We spend three days at Magic Kingdom, one at Hollywood Studios and one at Epcot. The 24-70 was not too heavy and was of sufficient lenght to capture the kids and shows (photos and videos) I wanted. The only time I needed more reach was a few times during the Indiana Jones show and the car stunt show at Hollywood, and even then the video was still framed well, I would have just liked more reach for the still shots.

I shot about 30% video and the rest still shots. For rides which had water or other "onerous" shooting conditions, I supplemented my shooting with my Iphone 5, which does an okay job, but I am very glad that I took my DSLR to capture better video and photos (especially in some of the low light conditions).

Overall, I noted a few of the rides we rode and my general shooting thoughts of each (note that I never felt unable to take my camera and bag on any ride, including the rockin rollercoaster or space mountain):

Magic Kingdom:
Thunder Mountain - this ride goes in and out of tunnels, so the quickly changing light makes it difficult. I held the 5diii with 24-70 for a full ride, but it was quite heavy to hold still during the ride itself. I also took a video with my iphone 5, but it could not handle the drastic light changes as well as my DLSR.

Splash Mountain - I shot with my 5diii and 24-70 for the entirety of this ride, except for the final drop (where you get the "most wet"). There I shot with the iphone 5, which did fine due to the available light. My bag protected my DSLR from getting too wet so there were no concerns there, and I even ended up on the front for a number of rides.

Buzz Lightyear - I used the 5diii and 24-70 exclusively for shooting on this ride due to its low light capabilities. This ride is extremely dark, but the video and photos from the DSLR looked great.

Speedway - Both the DSLR and the iphone took similar (for my purposes anyway) video here. It is all outside so there is consistent ambient light. The 24 was a little close to be videoing or photographing anything other than the child sitting next to me, but that is all I was interested in - their expressions. It was too bumpy to try and shoot other cars while riding in one and I didn't have the reach anyway to get the rest of the family behind me.

Space Mountain - This ride is simply too dark to video or photograph, even with the 5diii's capabilities. Not to mention, this is easily one of the jerkiest rides at a Disney park and I was uncomfortable even trying to video or photograph with either DSLR or camera.

Pirates of the Caribbean/Jungle Tour - both of these were pretty dark, so the DSLR was very useful. The video reach was fine on both the rides as there are very few places I needed to zoom, especially for video capabilities. I used the 5diii and 24-70 almost exclusively on these rides.

Epcot:
Rocking Rollercoaster & Tower of Terror - I chose not to shoot on either of these rides, although I felt my camera bag was secure (it was wrapped around my feet and legs). I likely could have taken a video of the rockin rollercoaster as it was very fast, but smooth. Tower of Terror would be almost impossible to shoot with a DSLR due to the zero gravity falls and the extreme lighting during the day (when the windows open you go from whiteout to complete black in less than a second). You might be able to capture some iphone video on the Tower of Terror, but I was busy holding onto my 7 year old at the time.

Spaceship Earth - the 5diii and 24-70 worked great here. Very dark lighting, but most of what you see is close so you don't need any zoom capabilities. I got some good video and stills on this ride.

Hollywood Studios:
Indiana Jones - I used the video for the majority of the show and we sat about 8 rows back (although far against one side). This was the first time I really wished I had brought the zoom lens to capture some of the action closer up. The 24-70 did okay for getting a shot of the entire screen, but much of the action occurs in the distance. I think the 70-200 would have worked better for this particular show.

Lights Motors Action - similar to the above, the 24-70 worked well for an overall video, although I was unable to zoom into the action close enough during the jump scenes and motorcycle scenes.

In summary, if I had to take one lens, the 24-70 worked well. If you own the 24-105, and are planning on going to Hollywood or Animal Kingdom, then that would likely be a great single lens, although going to f4 might cause some issues with the lower lit rides.

If anybody wants more information, just let me know and thanks again for everybody's input, time and insight.

CT

Aug 19, 2013 at 02:41 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.