Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

5DIII + 1.4 TC for Action Photos (?)

Russ S.

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · 5DIII + 1.4 TC for Action Photos (?)

Hi - I'm looking to finally upgrade my 40D, and have been seriously considering the 5D3. One of the main reasons for the upgrade is the oncoming HS football season and taking pictures of my son's team. The 40D just doesn't cut it under the lights, and I want a body with better low light and AF capabilities. I've also considered the 1D4 as a possibility, but since I don't need the burst rate, it's only real advantage for me is the crop factor. I'd like this replacement to be an all purpose camera, not just for sports, and the 5D3 seems to fit the bill better other than the crop factor.

I was reading a birding forum where the author preferred the 5D3 over the 1D4 for 90% of his shots. He used a TC with the 5D3 when needed for extra reach, and only went to the 1D4 with a TC when he really needed to max things out. I was wondering if the same couldn't also be done for action sports like football; the 5D3 is suppose to have almost a one stop ISO advantage over the 1D4, and a 1.4 TC costs one stop, so could it just be a wash? I know this is probably a compromise and not ideal, but has anyone tried this and are the results acceptable?

Thanks for the help!
Russ

Aug 06, 2013 at 01:29 PM
can0nfan2379

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · 5DIII + 1.4 TC for Action Photos (?)

I've got a 5D3 and 300 2.8 which I frequently use the 1.4TC on. Even in less than ideal light the combo focuses quite quickly. I went from a 7D to the 5D3 mostly for the improvement in image quality (less noise) and to be able to actually use my lenses as intended (35, 21, 70-200).

The AF on the 5D3 is exceedingly accurate and even though it has 2 fps less than my 7D (8fps), I get way more in focus shots on a burst in servo with the 5D3 than I ever did with the 7D.

Just my experience but I am quite happy with my move. Now, I also do a lot of nature / wildlife photography and if Canon improved the noise characteristics, AF accuracy and put in the 51 point AF system of the 5D3 into the 7D Mark II or whatever it will be called, I would seriously consider buying that and running a 2 body system -- 5D3 for wide shots / high ISO needs and crop body for times when you can never have enough focal length.

Aug 06, 2013 at 01:44 PM
timgangloff
• • • •
p.1 #3 · 5DIII + 1.4 TC for Action Photos (?)

The 5d3 with the 70-200 2.8 IS II with a 1.4x III on it rocks, in good light anyways.

I use it some with the 300 2.8 IS. It's good there too.

Aug 06, 2013 at 02:54 PM
schlotz
• • • •
p.1 #4 · 5DIII + 1.4 TC for Action Photos (?)

Russ,

As you stated 'light' is the key but there are two parts to this equation. A body capable of dealing with low light conditions AND a lens to gather it fast enough to allow a high shutter speed. Like most things in photography, its an exercise in compromise. Adding a 1.4TC will extend the reach but cut that light a stop worth and slow the AF a tad. Add to all of this, the notorious lighting of most HS fields and the need for hooking it to fast glass becomes even more essential

Matt

Aug 06, 2013 at 03:07 PM
wnichols
• •
p.1 #5 · 5DIII + 1.4 TC for Action Photos (?)

Tim, have you tried this combo (5d3+70-200+1.4x) at a night football game?
This is what I'm looking into to gain some of the reach back from going FF since I can't afford the 300 2.8. I figure the 5D3 if more than capable of pushing the ISO up to counter the lose of light from the 1.4x.

Bill
timgangloff wrote:
The 5d3 with the 70-200 2.8 IS II with a 1.4x III on it rocks, in good light anyways.

I use it some with the 300 2.8 IS. It's good there too.

Aug 06, 2013 at 03:52 PM
Russ S.

p.1 #6 · 5DIII + 1.4 TC for Action Photos (?)

I should have mentioned this before, but my lens is the 70-200 2.8L. So I was thinking 4.0 at 12,800 Iso if necessary would handle the low light provided the 1.4 TC didn't compromise the image too much. So far this combo sounds promising.

Aug 06, 2013 at 04:21 PM
Don Clary
• • • •
p.1 #7 · 5DIII + 1.4 TC for Action Photos (?)

put in the 51 point AF system of the 5D3

61 point AF

Aug 06, 2013 at 04:22 PM
can0nfan2379

p.1 #8 · 5DIII + 1.4 TC for Action Photos (?)

Oops....61 pt total

(I only use the 41 x-type points though)

Aug 06, 2013 at 05:18 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · 5DIII + 1.4 TC for Action Photos (?)

Russ S. wrote:
I should have mentioned this before, but my lens is the 70-200 2.8L. So I was thinking 4.0 at 12,800 Iso if necessary would handle the low light provided the 1.4 TC didn't compromise the image too much. So far this combo sounds promising.

Which version of the 2.8? the 2.8 IS II? It does compromise the quality a bit on the older ones. AF does become a bit worse on them.

12,800 is starting to get pretty high

I did shoot some soccer with an f/4-f/5-6 70-300L a few times when not having a press pass. I think I was at ISO1600-8000 with it (ISO1600 when there was still some natural light going on for the first part, I think I mostly ended up ISO5000-6400 when it got fully dark, have to check). The 5D3 can focus at night at f/4-f/5.6. This was (low end) pro-arena lighting though. That lens does focus 50% faster than many of the 70-200+1.4x TC would though as Canon TC slows lenses by 50%.

For general use, the 5D3 probably is the nicer overall body I'd say for sure. For night sports with a very short lens I feel the 1D4 might be just a bit better in the using TC on it and not on the other scenario. If you shoot with both bare for close action the 5D3 clearly wins though.

Given everything I'd go 5D3 it's much nicer for most stuff you want to do and only sometimes is it slightly worse for sports.

5D3+1.4xTC actually has a bit more reach than the 1D4.

Edited on Aug 06, 2013 at 10:08 PM · View previous versions

Aug 06, 2013 at 08:07 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Russ S.

p.1 #10 · 5DIII + 1.4 TC for Action Photos (?)

skibum5 wrote:
Which version of the 2.8? the 2.8 IS II?

It's the 2.8 IS II, I bought it new about two years ago.

Aug 06, 2013 at 08:40 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · 5DIII + 1.4 TC for Action Photos (?)

Russ S. wrote:
It's the 2.8 IS II, I bought it new about two years ago.

IQ should hold up pretty well then

For general use, the 5D3 probably is the nicer overall body I'd say for sure. For night sports with a very short lens I feel the 1D4 might be just a bit better in the using TC on it and not on the other scenario. If you shoot with both bare for close action the 5D3 clearly wins though.

Given everything I'd go 5D3 it's much nicer for most stuff you want to do and only sometimes is it slightly worse for sports.

5D3+1.4xTC actually has a bit more reach than the 1D4.

Aug 06, 2013 at 10:08 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · 5DIII + 1.4 TC for Action Photos (?)

Let's not forget the 1D4 only has a 10% reach advantage over the 5D III when FL limited, far less than the TC provides, so IMO that difference is not worth worrying about and that would not be the reason to choose one or the other IMO. 5D III is cleaner at high ISO, but the 1D IV can do very well to ISO 6400. If you can live without the 10fps, build and much greater battery life, the 5D III is probably a better camera, but you would hardly go wrong with the 1D IV either. Both are a large upgrade in AF over the 40D for action work and IQ above ISO 800. I know the 5D III tracks pretty well in low light based on my results. Haven't tried my 1D4 in similar conditions yet.

Aug 06, 2013 at 10:34 PM
3iron
• •
p.1 #13 · 5DIII + 1.4 TC for Action Photos (?)

Did I read somewhere the 70-200 II was not fully compatible with the 1.4 tele? If I remember correctly, the lens could be damaged if attempting to use it at the lower focal lengths as it ran into the tele.
Please correct me if this is incorrect.

Aug 07, 2013 at 06:54 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · 5DIII + 1.4 TC for Action Photos (?)

3iron wrote:
Did I read somewhere the 70-200 II was not fully compatible with the 1.4 tele? If I remember correctly, the lens could be damaged if attempting to use it at the lower focal lengths as it ran into the tele.

No you did not read that

Aug 07, 2013 at 11:12 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · 5DIII + 1.4 TC for Action Photos (?)

3iron wrote:

Pixel Perfect wrote:
No you did not read that

Maybe he read it on Nikon Rumors. Not only was it wrong, the site's name is mispelled!

Aug 07, 2013 at 11:38 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · 5DIII + 1.4 TC for Action Photos (?)

3iron wrote:

You are thinking of the 70-300L, where you have to use it with the Canon TCs only at the long end otherwise the lens will hit the rubber stopper ring on the protruding element on the Canon TC.

70-200 II (along with all the other varieties) have zero issue with TCs fitting.

Aug 07, 2013 at 11:42 PM
Russ S.

p.1 #17 · 5DIII + 1.4 TC for Action Photos (?)

Decided to go with the 5D3, ordered a refurbished one from Canon yesterday. I'm sure I'll experiment with the 1.4 TC, but since I'm allowed to stand on the sideline and close to the action, I should be fine without it. Thanks to everyone for their feedback and help, can't wait to try it out at the first night game under the lights.

Aug 08, 2013 at 08:01 PM
onesickpuppy
• • •
p.1 #18 · 5DIII + 1.4 TC for Action Photos (?)

Well.....I used my 5DMK3 couple weekends ago, with a mounted 1.4 TC v3 and a 400 5.6
And this is after the firmware update.

I will say I was impressed with focus speed and sharpness of the setup.

I did run the file to check and its not reporting the TC...don't know why...but this was shot with that combo

Note: when I was setting up the shot, the closest boat wasn't in the frame....he shot in as I took it...glad it did
but would rather had him in focus as well. This is how hard everyone was charging the start line.

The stock car race shot is only using stadium lighting...similar to a football field. I didn't run any noise reduction
on this one...to show its 12800 solidness. A light pass with Noise Ninja works really well.

onesickpuppy 2013

Start line frenzy

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF400mm f/5.6L USM lens    400mm    f/7.1    1/1600s    320 ISO    0.0 EV  

And it's a start

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    EF24-70mm f/2.8L II USM lens    65mm    f/2.8    1/400s    12800 ISO    +0.3 EV  

Aug 12, 2013 at 03:55 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password