Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · RX100 has significantly better Dynamic Range than RX100 II?

absolutic
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · RX100 has significantly better Dynamic Range than RX100 II?

I used to own RX100 last year but had to sell it. I was recently looking to pick it up again but then RX100 II came out. While researching the difference, I came upon CNET report from Laurie Gruner, where she was concerned that RX100 II replaced the old sensor with the new BSI CMOS sensor which might mean, based on her experience with other SONY cameras with BSI sensor, that the camera will have better low light performance in terms of noise, however, its dynamic range and picture quality at low ISOs might suffer. I don't usually pay much attention to CNET reviews, however, I decided to investigate further.

Reading further, I located a recent tech radar RX100 II review that seems to support her concerns.
http://cdn0.mos.techradar.futurecdn.net//art/cameras/LabCharts/Sony/RX100%20II/Sony_RX100_TIFF_DR-900-100.JPG

it appears from their tests that the the difference in dynamic range between ISO100 and 400 is quite significant. In fact, it looks like at around native ISO, RX100 is 2 stops better in dynamic range than RX100 II. That is a shocking difference.

Further, just like CNET reviewer suggested, tech radar did find that low light performance of the new sensor was better.

Are people that have both here noticing the same difference?

Aug 06, 2013 at 01:25 AM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · RX100 has significantly better Dynamic Range than RX100 II?

dxomark.com have now tested the mk II, and the dynamic range is the same as the RX100.

With EXMOR-R comes a higher base ISO, but it seems that the Full Well Capacity is the same, so the maximum performance is at the same level, but just at a slightly higher ISO.

Aug 06, 2013 at 01:39 AM
absolutic
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · RX100 has significantly better Dynamic Range than RX100 II?

How do you explain Tech Radar measurements then? I am aware of DXO finding. Are you suggesting DXO is right and Tech Radar is wrong?

Aug 06, 2013 at 01:46 AM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · RX100 has significantly better Dynamic Range than RX100 II?

Yes, Techradar must be wrong when they find a large drop in DR from ISO 400 to ISO 100, and DXO finds a large increase in the same range.

The initial concerns may have been related to the higher base ISO, which may be seen as DR limiting.

Aug 06, 2013 at 02:00 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · RX100 has significantly better Dynamic Range than RX100 II?

Tech Radar has some of the worst "reviews" on the net and half the time the results don't even make sense.

I'd put zero stock into any of their "test" unless they can back up their methodology and some probable cause for some of the often weird results they get.

Looking at the same review, they show the JPEG's have more DR than the RAW files which makes no sense.

As with CNET, the reviewers largely seem to be rather pointless, grasping at straws for list of pro's and con's and never really doing much actual photography. Granted these reviews aren't written for enthusiast, but still, they often contradict themselves quite often and you have to wonder if they actually shoot with the cameras or just play with them in the office for 20 minutes to write a review.

Aug 06, 2013 at 03:21 AM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · RX100 has significantly better Dynamic Range than RX100 II?

Techradar is using the benchmark software incorrectly. If you look at some of their other reviews, it's immediately obvious. They have no idea what they're doing.

Aug 06, 2013 at 06:27 AM
absolutic
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · RX100 has significantly better Dynamic Range than RX100 II?

Lol thanks guys

Aug 06, 2013 at 08:50 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.