New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · how to rename every other file in bridge

1adam-12
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · how to rename every other file in bridge

I hope this is i the correct forum... my apologies if it isn't...

hello... need a little help... i recently I've been shooting my landscape photos in RAW and Jpeg... using the jpegs for easy review.. anyways... i want to rename the files after importing them ontl my computer in my file folder system... so, what i want to do is rename the photos , but i wan to rename them so the raw have the same number as the jpeg... ie... pic 001.jpeg and pic 001.raw...

so heres my question.. is there a way to select every other photo (the raws are odd numbers 1,,3,5,7etc and the jepegs are 2,4,6,8 etc.. sp when i do a batch rename i can batch the raw to keep the odd number and the jpegs to keep the even numbers with the new name... ie vacations 7-1-13_location 001.raw... and the same jpeg photo to be renamed to vacations 7-1-13_001.jpeg...

did i explain the clear??

any help is appreciated...

Aug 06, 2013 at 12:22 AM
Mickey
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · how to rename every other file in bridge

I can't answer your question directly but one thing that will give you half as many files to work with would be to first sort by file type. Windows will do that for you so that there will be all .jpg files and all .cr2 file. Then you'll just need to figure out how to rename sequentially.

Aug 06, 2013 at 08:02 AM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · how to rename every other file in bridge

I do my batch renaming in Breezebrowser. You would want to separate the files out into two folders and then I would rename each folder incase any of the file names don't match up. Sort by file type or size etc. to get the raw's and jpegs separately. When I shoot raw and jpeg, I delete my jpegs as soon as I know my raw files are fine-why would you keep both?

Aug 06, 2013 at 08:19 AM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · how to rename every other file in bridge

Have you tried renaming by time stamp? They both should have the same...

One of them would get a suffix of "(1)" if you could live with that.

Aug 06, 2013 at 09:00 AM
Thats Fresh
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · how to rename every other file in bridge

Do you want each image to have the same number sequence? Youre asking the raw files be odd numbers and the corresponding jpg be an even number, but in your samples, they both have the same number but different extension

Aug 06, 2013 at 07:02 PM
JohnnyMike
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · how to rename every other file in bridge

You could try a little program called Bulk Rename Utility. Extremely configurable to accomplish renaming of files. I use it all the time.

http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php

Hope that helps.

Aug 14, 2013 at 01:59 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · how to rename every other file in bridge

Moved to the Post-processing & Printing board...

Aug 14, 2013 at 08:36 PM
jjnyc

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · how to rename every other file in bridge

JUst create a smart collection that shows only the raw and batch rename

Aug 15, 2013 at 05:10 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · how to rename every other file in bridge

JohnnyMike wrote:
You could try a little program called Bulk Rename Utility. Extremely configurable to accomplish renaming of files. I use it all the time.

http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php

Hope that helps.

Whatever renamer you use, make sure it never has an option to delete or remove files.

Aug 15, 2013 at 12:31 PM
mhayes5254
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · how to rename every other file in bridge

I don't understand why the files have different numbers. with all my cameras only the extension is different.

Aug 15, 2013 at 04:08 PM
Beni
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · how to rename every other file in bridge

Not sure I understand the question, do you want the raw and jpgs the same name or not? If yes, use the filter box. Sort by date created. Then you can select only raws and rename them then only jpgs and rename. Or if you want them to be consecutive names, so that the same picture in raw is 001.raw 0012.jpg choose show all so no filter, sort by date created and just batch rename without changing the extension.

Aug 16, 2013 at 03:43 AM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · how to rename every other file in bridge

If Bridge has a similar renaming capability to that of Lightroom then you would be able to create new names based on existing filename text and add the capture date and time and sequence from the exif data. This would be identical for the raw and jpg files. Better yet, you could put the date and time at the beginning so that they sort more easily in or out of Bridge, but you need to use year then month then day and hour then minute then second then sequence to ensure the correct sequencing.

I do this sort of thing during import. I have file renaming presets for each camera and camera folder number so that I can include those in the file name and add the camera image number too. When the camera folder number increments I need a new preset but that only happens every 10,000 images with the modern cameras.

Downloader Pro (for Windows only) was clever enough to dig the camera name and folder number out of the exif data so that only one preset was needed for all cameras.

- Alan

Aug 17, 2013 at 09:37 AM
1adam-12
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · how to rename every other file in bridge

Thanks for all the help so far... One more question... AFTER i sort the files by name so the jpgs load in order and the cr2's load in order... HOW do i rename the .cr2 files as cr2 files... another words i want to keep them as cr2 (RAW) files so i can keep the lightroom editing abilities.... If i were to just put .cr2 in the last box before renaming... will they keep their cr2 properties

thanks again... Dave

Aug 18, 2013 at 08:17 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.