Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · (FT5) High End OM-D is coming ...

bobbytan
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · (FT5) High End OM-D is coming ...

http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-new-high-end-omd-is-also-the-e-5-successor-hybrid-mft-and-ft-mount/

Not really a high-end OM-D but more likely it's a replacement of the FT Oly E-5 with a hybrid FT/MFT mount. 4/3 Rumors seem to think that the E-M6 will only be released in 2014. I am thinking that if Olympus is planning to release a new hybrid pro/high-end camera this Fall, then the E-M6 they will announce next year will not be their flagship camera i.e. the specs/performance may not be quite as good.

The first question that I have is, how much bigger/heavier will the new camera be compared to the OM-D. If it's somewhere between the OM-D and GH3 i.e. about the size and weight of the Canon SL1 I will be quite happy actually. A larger and better placement of the buttons and dials would be fantastic IMO.

The second and more critical question that I have relates to the sensor and file quality. I would think that a "high end/pro" camera will be better than the E-M5 and E-P5 in terms of IQ but how much better will it be, or how close will it get to the new Sony FF NEX quality? Any thoughts?

Aug 05, 2013 at 05:58 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · (FT5) High End OM-D is coming ...

I hope they do something crazy new like swappable/upgradeable sensor. I'm sure those E-5 buyers would have loved that considering their life cycle.

Aug 05, 2013 at 06:19 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · (FT5) High End OM-D is coming ...

I would expect the IQ to be in the same realm as the OM-D, or maybe just slightly better, as Olympus has started using Sony sensors, and there really isn't a sensor out there that is significantly better. Getting to equal ground with the best Sony aps-c sensors would be impressive, but competing with Sony FF sensors is getting a bit too optimistic. Sensor size still plays a significant role in IQ, although I guess it depends what you mean by "close."

Aug 05, 2013 at 06:24 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · (FT5) High End OM-D is coming ...

The good news is, for the most part, all modern ILCs have image quality that is good enough for 99% of photographers' needs.

Aug 05, 2013 at 06:44 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · (FT5) High End OM-D is coming ...

It will be a high-end OM-D, but not necessarily an E-M5 replacement.

Gotta remember, OM-D is the line (like the PEN line), E-M5 is the camera. It's pretty strongly rumoured that we well see the OM-D line expand to at least two lines and possibly 3 (low-end line below the E-M5, E-M5 and possible direct replacement, high end OM-D/OM-D Pro)

I'd expect the name will be E-6 and it will be OM-D branded (instead of Evolt branded as the E-5 is), to merge the remains of the 4/3rds system into the OM-D line.

Note the high-end E series have rarely been the best Oly bodies in terms of IQ, the E-1 was rapidly superceded in IQ, the E-3 again was quickly beat out by the E-30 and the E-5 has spent most of its run with either better processing in the PEN's with the same sensor and then a far better sensor arriving with the E-M5. I'd hope we get a real update over the E-M5's already pretty good sensor, possibly a cut-down version of the rumoured 32MP APS-C sensor from Sony (as the current 16MP sensor is derived from Sony's 24MP APS-C sensor).

Aug 05, 2013 at 07:13 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · (FT5) High End OM-D is coming ...

I think it's more or less the same as the E-M5, but with an updated AF system to drive the 4/3 lenses(&M4/3)at close to their max speed, weather the sensor produces better IQ, that will probably be a lower priority than getting the AF to work right with the 2 lens systems.

Aug 05, 2013 at 08:54 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · (FT5) High End OM-D is coming ...

The best they can probably hope for is for Sony to scale up BSI tech to MFT size... I'd imagine this would be expensive.

Aug 05, 2013 at 09:00 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · (FT5) High End OM-D is coming ...

FlyPenFly wrote:
The best they can probably hope for is for Sony to scale up BSI tech to MFT size... I'd imagine this would be expensive.

Yeah, if I remember correctly, I believe that theSuede said that the 1" sensor in the RX100 is likely as large as they'll make with BSI anytime soon, but who knows?

Aug 05, 2013 at 09:46 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · (FT5) High End OM-D is coming ...

douglasf13 wrote:
Yeah, if I remember correctly, I believe that theSuede said that the 1" sensor in the RX100 is likely as large as they'll make with BSI anytime soon, but who knows?

BSI is a technology whose benefits increase as the sensor gets smaller as what it does is allow improvements in the fill factor which is an issue on tiny sensors but not on 4/3rds or larger sensors. It's unlikely that a 4/3rds BSI sensor will have any real advantage over the current EXMOR sensors in use.

Aug 06, 2013 at 07:24 AM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · (FT5) High End OM-D is coming ...

mawz wrote:
BSI is a technology whose benefits increase as the sensor gets smaller as what it does is allow improvements in the fill factor which is an issue on tiny sensors but not on 4/3rds or larger sensors. It's unlikely that a 4/3rds BSI sensor will have any real advantage over the current EXMOR sensors in use.

I thought that was the case with FF and aps-c sensors, but I wasn't sure about m4/3, since it is in between 1" and aps-c sensors, and we already have a 1" BSI sensor in the RX100ii. The real appeal of BSI in larger sensors would probably be the way they handle incident light rays, I'd imagine.

Aug 06, 2013 at 08:58 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · (FT5) High End OM-D is coming ...

I think for many of us here, me included, it is not so much a question of need but a question of want. We want the best-possible IQ that we can possibly get from from our toys - not tools. It's the need to satisfy the Feel Good factor!

A marginal IQ improvement over the OM-D is just not good enough. We need lower noise and cleaner files at least matching the current crop of mirrorless ILC's with an APS-C sensor i.e. the NEXs and Fujis.

Jman13 wrote:
The good news is, for the most part, all modern ILCs have image quality that is good enough for 99% of photographers' needs.

Aug 06, 2013 at 11:39 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · (FT5) High End OM-D is coming ...

More info/details from 43 Rumors today:

http://www.43rumors.com/?s=E-M1

Aug 06, 2013 at 02:54 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · (FT5) High End OM-D is coming ...

bobbytan wrote:
I think for many of us here, me included, it is not so much a question of need but a question of want. We want the best-possible IQ that we can possibly get from from our toys - not tools. It's the need to satisfy the Feel Good factor!

A marginal IQ improvement over the OM-D is just not good enough. We need lower noise and cleaner files at least matching the current crop of mirrorless ILC's with an APS-C sensor i.e. the NEXs and Fujis.

Certainly agree with that, but if/when the tech allows the m4/3 sensor's to achieve that, then surely that same tech is also going to allow for the next gen of APS-C to again be a step ahead, which of course is relative because FF will also be a step ahead that. Its just a never ending game of keeping up with the Jones so to speak.

Its the same way with computers or anything really.

I remember way back in the day when people were saying if they could get 512k RAM it would be enough, then it was 1 gig etc. Or if they could get a 100gig HD it would be all they'd ever need, then it was a TB hd, etc etc

Its just a never end cycle of consumption and want. As long as something out there is "better", ala, the grass is greener on the other side of the fence, we will keep on wanting

Aug 06, 2013 at 03:41 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · (FT5) High End OM-D is coming ...

Laptops will always be slower than a desktop of the same era for the same cost.

Aug 06, 2013 at 03:44 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · (FT5) High End OM-D is coming ...

'Sensor size still plays a significant role in IQ, although I guess it depends what you mean by "close."'

'for the most part, all modern ILCs have image quality that is good enough for 99% of photographers' needs.'

Both these statements are true. Photography - image making might be a better term - is a mass market phenomenon where most consumers place the threshold of quality much lower than what is commonplace for full-frame sensor photography.

[And in the case of 'phonography' the medium has quite literally become the message, meaning that connectivity, convergence and 'sharing' dominate concerns about image quality almost entirely.]

Aug 06, 2013 at 04:44 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · (FT5) High End OM-D is coming ...

We will see what happens when the organic sensor is used in MFT bodies, possibly a year down the road. I am expecting a quantum leap in IQ.

douglasf13 wrote:
I would expect the IQ to be in the same realm as the OM-D, or maybe just slightly better, as Olympus has started using Sony sensors, and there really isn't a sensor out there that is significantly better. Getting to equal ground with the best Sony aps-c sensors would be impressive, but competing with Sony FF sensors is getting a bit too optimistic. Sensor size still plays a significant role in IQ, although I guess it depends what you mean by "close."

Aug 06, 2013 at 07:51 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · (FT5) High End OM-D is coming ...

I sure hope they straighten out that mess they call a menu structure!

Aug 13, 2013 at 02:13 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.