Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Hendrik, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

How do you mount your prints?

ben egbert
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · How do you mount your prints?

So far I just hang my images from the foam core with two corner pieces of tape. I use foam core double mats and wood frames and no glass or plexi. I have used Red River Aurora, but just switched to Hahnemuhle Photorag 308. This paper is stiffer than the RR and is not wrinkling but does not lay perfectly flat either.

I have used self stick foam core in the past and it always bubbled on me. I am looking for a way to get flatter displays.

By the way, I had a print professionally dry mounted and the entire image was bowed after a while. I already know I can tighten up the way I install the print/mat/backing into the frame, but it will need more than that,

Also considering a different backing than foam core,

Aug 05, 2013 at 05:34 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · How do you mount your prints?

Notes. On close inspection, the Hahnemuhle images have a nice curve with some small space in the center, perhaps just a bit of adhesive to hold down the center would work. In fact it is not offensive at all. But the mats are not flat and show spaces away from the print in various places. This is because the mats are not flat, they are tight enough. Some adhesive to hold them against the backing may work but would make it hard to reuse on other prints.

The RR images have various wrinkles and will be reprinted on Hahn paper.

Aug 05, 2013 at 05:57 PM
cohenfive
• • • •
p.1 #3 · How do you mount your prints?

We have them dry mounted on a thin board with a black beveled edge. Only found this process locally which is minimalist but looks good. Would love to see if anyone online does this process, it is like a one step mounting/framing if you just want to see the picture and hang it on a wall.

Aug 05, 2013 at 08:09 PM
Bernie
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · How do you mount your prints?

Scotch double backed adhesive on 3/8" gatorboard. It comes in different widths.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/46515-REG/Scotch_56824_Mounting_Adhesive_Roll.html

The gatorboard is a lot stiffer than foamcore board and can handle larger sizes better as well. To use this adhesive which requires presure, you would end up damaging the foam core board...

Aug 05, 2013 at 08:25 PM
Tim Knutson
• • •
p.1 #5 · How do you mount your prints?

In my almost humble opinion, dry mount. You have to get the humidity neutral in the backer board, or it can curl. It just looks so nice flat and smooth.

Aug 05, 2013 at 08:56 PM
tomrock
• • •
p.1 #6 · How do you mount your prints?

I have an old dry mount press that I bought on Craigslist. I love that thing.

Aug 05, 2013 at 09:27 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · How do you mount your prints?

Bernie wrote:
Scotch double backed adhesive on 3/8" gatorboard. It comes in different widths.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/46515-REG/Scotch_56824_Mounting_Adhesive_Roll.html

The gatorboard is a lot stiffer than foamcore board and can handle larger sizes better as well. To use this adhesive which requires presure, you would end up damaging the foam core board...

This is the sort of answer I was looking for, do you use a roller to apply pressure? What do you use to protect the image as you apply the pressure? Where do you get the gatorboard? Hmm, I get mats at Blick, bet they have it.

Aug 05, 2013 at 09:32 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · How do you mount your prints?

tomrock wrote:
I have an old dry mount press that I bought on Craigslist. I love that thing.

Yep, used is about the only way I could afford one. I do up to 22x34 (backing size) for 16x29 image sizes.

Aug 05, 2013 at 09:34 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · How do you mount your prints?

cohenfive wrote:
We have them dry mounted on a thin board with a black beveled edge. Only found this process locally which is minimalist but looks good. Would love to see if anyone online does this process, it is like a one step mounting/framing if you just want to see the picture and hang it on a wall.

I have a place in Salt Lake that can dry mount, but it is pretty pricy and a long drive. I want to do this at home if possible.

Aug 05, 2013 at 09:35 PM
JakeD

p.1 #10 · How do you mount your prints?

I never dry-mount. T hinges with Neschen P90 at top and clear photomount corners at bottom, loosely fitted to allow for expansion. On large prints, I use edge strips. Always mat my prints.

Aug 05, 2013 at 09:43 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Tim Knutson
• • •
p.1 #11 · How do you mount your prints?

Ben, I found mine on Craigslist for 75 bucks. Didn't take long to pay for it.

Aug 05, 2013 at 11:11 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · How do you mount your prints?

JakeD wrote:
I never dry-mount. T hinges with Neschen P90 at top and clear photomount corners at bottom, loosely fitted to allow for expansion. On large prints, I use edge strips. Always mat my prints.

Do they lay flat? Thats pretty much how I do it, but not getting the flatness I want. I don't use edge strips, I assume this is tape? How do you get the mats to lay flat? Mine tend to leave gaps between the mat and image and its usually because the mat is not perfectly flat.

Aug 05, 2013 at 11:11 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · How do you mount your prints?

http://www.framedestination.com/picture_frame_mounting.html

Scott

Aug 05, 2013 at 11:45 PM
deepjay
• •
p.1 #14 · How do you mount your prints?

Ben,
Check our Scotch Positionable Mounting Adhesive. I think I got the latest roll from Amazon, but I'm sure Google can find it, as well. Not expensive, mounts flat, and seems to last several years. Directions are included, which I have to re-read each time.
Dave

Aug 06, 2013 at 12:07 AM
JohnBrose
• • •
p.1 #15 · How do you mount your prints?

I either dry mount mine to foam core or have my lab dry mount to a hi density poly board or foam core. I've never had good luck with adhesive sprays or the adhesive films. I also have the prints sprayed with a protective laquer. These stay nice and flat if you frame them correctly.

Aug 06, 2013 at 12:13 AM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #16 · How do you mount your prints?

ben egbert wrote:
Do they lay flat? Thats pretty much how I do it, but not getting the flatness I want. I don't use edge strips, I assume this is tape? How do you get the mats to lay flat? Mine tend to leave gaps between the mat and image and its usually because the mat is not perfectly flat.

Mats will warp, if not held against glass. You can some eleviate that by hinging the mat from the top of the backing board, and making sure the whole isn't pressed too tightly against the frame. You need to allow for expansion and contraction of differing materials.

Some papers are less prone to curl than others. Canson Rag Photographique, for example, is much better in this regard than Hahnemühle Photo Rag. One thing I haven't tried, but might be worth trying, it to spray both sides of the print.

Brian A

Aug 06, 2013 at 01:04 AM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · How do you mount your prints?

sbeme wrote:
http://www.framedestination.com/picture_frame_mounting.html

Scott

Thanks Scott, some I knew, others I did not.

Aug 06, 2013 at 02:56 AM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · How do you mount your prints?

deepjay wrote:
Ben,
Check our Scotch Positionable Mounting Adhesive. I think I got the latest roll from Amazon, but I'm sure Google can find it, as well. Not expensive, mounts flat, and seems to last several years. Directions are included, which I have to re-read each time.
Dave

Thanks Dave I will check it out.

I plan to try this on a test image. .

Aug 06, 2013 at 02:58 AM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · How do you mount your prints?

hugowolf wrote:
Mats will warp, if not held against glass. You can some eleviate that by hinging the mat from the top of the backing board, and making sure the whole isn't pressed too tightly against the frame. You need to allow for expansion and contraction of differing materials.

Some papers are less prone to curl than others. Canson Rag Photographique, for example, is much better in this regard than Hahnemühle Photo Rag. One thing I haven't tried, but might be worth trying, it to spray both sides of the print.

So far the Hahn is acting well. I also thought about spraying the
...Show more

Aug 06, 2013 at 03:00 AM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · How do you mount your prints?

Tim Knutson wrote:
Ben, I found mine on Craigslist for 75 bucks. Didn't take long to pay for it.

I will check this out. Maybe even our own FM buy and sell. If you dry mount, I assume you also buy the heat sensitive film.

Aug 06, 2013 at 03:01 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password