New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Lee filter system

Krosavcheg
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lee filter system

Is anyone using it on medium/square format?
Just got a bunch of ND, grads and mount.
Was pondering which adapter to chose - WA or standard..I hardly go under 50mm and only on RZ67..

Aug 05, 2013 at 06:41 AM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lee filter system

I used the system along with a couple Singh Ray filters for my adapted Zeiss 21mm F2.8 ZF.2 which I leitax mounted onto my Sony A850 with chip.

I gave up on the entire system after I found out it scratches very easily and was a bit too bulky to setup and shoot with along with a sturdy tripod.

I do the multi-expsore method now although it can't capture dynamic scenes with authenticity. It doesn't bother some but it does nag me a bit. I've also found screw on gradients to be very effective even if it's a half split only.

Aug 05, 2013 at 07:16 AM
Krosavcheg
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lee filter system

Thank you for the heads up!
Scratches are a bit of a worry actually, especially when out and about shooting landscapes..

Aug 05, 2013 at 09:09 AM
Jochenb
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lee filter system

I can't answer your question, but unlike flypenfly I really like the Lee filter system. Much more flexible than screw on filters. I'm very careful with them and no scratches so far.

Aug 05, 2013 at 09:15 AM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lee filter system

Yes, the Lee system is of course far more flexible, better image quality, and generally superior. There are also many instances you can't simulate digitally with what a Lee system can do. At least not without a significant lot of time in post.

However you do pay for it in setup time, clean up time, overall cost, bulk, and losing some flexibility in camera positioning. Everything also feels generally delicate and there aren't any bad weather options.

I think it's perfect for those times you pick out an amazing spot and just setup there for hours to take photos. I rarely do that anymore so it wasn't the right use for me.

I took this with a Lee system http://www.flickr.com/photos/flypenfly/9277586365/in/set-72157634611458688

Aug 05, 2013 at 09:20 AM
Krosavcheg
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lee filter system

FlyPenFly wrote:
Yes, the Lee system is of course far more flexible, better image quality, and generally superior. There are also many instances you can't simulate digitally with what a Lee system can do. At least not without a significant lot of time in post.

However you do pay for it in setup time, clean up time, overall cost, bulk, and losing some flexibility in camera positioning. Everything also feels generally delicate and there aren't any bad weather options.

I think it's perfect for those times you pick out an amazing spot and just setup there for hours to take photos. I rarely do
...Show more

Well, it certainly saved sky from blowing..
I plan to use it for the film cameras mainly, so I can't quite bracket as easily.
In past I did some bracketed shots, but baking them proves much more difficult than I expected - quite often the halos are overly pronounced and local contrast adjustment makes me cringe...

Aug 05, 2013 at 11:04 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.