Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Pure speculation: future 5D3 prices

kezeka
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Pure speculation: future 5D3 prices

I have a little extra money around and can afford to pick up a 5D mark III at current prices but am hesitant to do so at the moment for a few speculative reasons:

1) I am still pissed at Canon for thinking it is acceptable to sell a camera with minimal changes to a dated sensor and finally put a decent AF unit in it for substantially more. //end rant
2) Rumors surfacing about the new ultra high megapixel 1-series body make me think that the 5D3 prices may decrease when that body is released
3) Prices likely to decrease with release of 7D mark II that may never come out at this rate
4) Still interested in seeing how this NEX FF works out - sony should be announcing it in September so it isn't too long of a wait at this point according to the CEO's statement in July.

This is obviously meant to be a speculative post. I am interested in seeing where and when other members see the price of the 5D3 dropping and whether or not that will be in the next 6 months in relation to other gear releases. I am not looking for canned responses like "If you need it now, buy it now" - I don't NEED a 5D3, it would just help with some events that I cover - I am currently content with my 5D2 except for the AF that I have just gotten used to dealing with over the last few years.

This should be an interesting way to cull the cumulative thoughts regarding this topic. I may be completely off base on my predictions so please correct me if I am.

Aug 05, 2013 at 04:03 AM
cameron12x
• • •
p.1 #2 · Pure speculation: future 5D3 prices

Thinking speculatively "out of the box," why don't you buy the 6D instead of the 5D3?

Aug 05, 2013 at 04:10 AM
sirimiri
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Pure speculation: future 5D3 prices

I'm nonplussed and will let this chart speak in my stead.

Via Canonpricewatch.com

Aug 05, 2013 at 04:56 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Pure speculation: future 5D3 prices

kezeka wrote:
I have a little extra money around and can afford to pick up a 5D mark III at current prices but am hesitant to do so at the moment for a few speculative reasons:

1) I am still pissed at Canon for thinking it is acceptable to sell a camera with minimal changes to a dated sensor and finally put a decent AF unit in it for substantially more. //end rant
2) Rumors surfacing about the new ultra high megapixel 1-series body make me think that the 5D3 prices may decrease when that body is released
3) Prices likely to decrease with release
...Show more

I believe the 5D MKIII sensor was a new design introduced with that camera. It definitely is not the same "dated" sensor used in the MKII albeit a pretty minor bump up in Rez, it contained a lot of other nice tweaks.

My crystal ball tells me the MKIII price will remain pretty steady until after the replacement model debuts. Oddly I have noticed prices for old new MKII stock have been inching up a lot this summer, so maybe MKIII prices will do the same in its post release era.

Aug 05, 2013 at 05:31 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Pure speculation: future 5D3 prices

sirimiri wrote:
I'm nonplussed and will let this chart speak in my stead.

I find it most interesting that the price had been collapsing and then.... ML RAW comes out.... boom suddenly not but a month or so and the price zips right back close to introductory price.

The Canon DID, for those who also care about video, become a much better value at full list after ML RAW.
Counting video as well as stills it is one the greatest DSLR made.

Aug 05, 2013 at 05:57 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Pure speculation: future 5D3 prices

Gochugogi wrote:
I believe the 5D MKIII sensor was a new design introduced with that camera. It definitely is not the same "dated" sensor used in the MKII albeit a pretty minor bump up in Rez, it contained a lot of other nice tweaks.

My crystal ball tells me the MKIII price will remain pretty steady until after the replacement model debuts. Oddly I have noticed prices for old new MKII stock have been inching up a lot this summer, so maybe MKIII prices will do the same in its post release era.

Other than the ability to do some special binning for video (which is HUGE for video) the sensor tech does seem to be relatively the same old from the 5D2. Even the 6D uses better tech (and has better DR across the board, especially at high ISO).

Aug 05, 2013 at 05:59 AM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Pure speculation: future 5D3 prices

There were more than just a few minor changes to the 5D3, both for still and video, many being ergonomic improvements that go a long way to letting the camera disappear in front of you and become an extension of your artistic goal. That alone is worth the price of admission. You might consider doing what many have already done and pick one up through the Canon Loyalty Program for $2379 plus whatever your state sales tax is.

Aug 05, 2013 at 06:06 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Pure speculation: future 5D3 prices

Peter Figen wrote:
There were more than just a few minor changes to the 5D3, both for still and video, many being ergonomic improvements that go a long way to letting the camera disappear in front of you and become an extension of your artistic goal. That alone is worth the price of admission. You might consider doing what many have already done and pick one up through the Canon Loyalty Program for $2379 plus whatever your state sales tax is.

Minor little things, but yeah it has a really polished up UI so it is very friendly, smooth and natural to use. I think moreso than perhaps any other body out there.

Aug 05, 2013 at 06:10 AM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Pure speculation: future 5D3 prices

That's the thing. On paper it doesn't look like it's a huge improvement, but in your hands, it's all those little things that you don't realize until you've spent at least a month with the camera. I think the only thing I miss from my 1DsIII's (and I keep one for the true 1/250th sync) are the batteries, but if you're coming from an early 5D, you'd never know it anyhow.

Aug 05, 2013 at 06:28 AM
UCSB
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Pure speculation: future 5D3 prices

I don't know where prices are going or when they will arrive. I would expect some deals in the Xmas season. I pre-ordered my 5DIII and got it the first week it was available ... I figured I would lose money. Perhaps $300+ a year, lets call it $30/month, or so over my ownership period. I am very happy I purchased it; I hated the AF system in the 5DII. I was so happy the day I sold that camera. The 5DIII is the first DSLR that has lived up to my expectations. That is worth something to me. Plus it is the first DSLR that I can actually see using for a while even if there was an upgrade offered; a first for me. If others feel the same way, perhaps demand and the price will stay high.

My advice ... go for a refurb and investigate the Canon loyality program.

Aug 05, 2013 at 06:40 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

justruss
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Pure speculation: future 5D3 prices

It's best to think of the 5D3 as a 5D2 with great AF and much better video. Are these major things for you?

There are other tweaks, but they're not huge. It's still 5D2-era sensor technology, as can be seen by looking at the 6D and Sony/Nikon/Fuji. You can't get a high precision focusing screen. I think we're on the verge, after a long period of incrementalism from Canon in all but the 1DX-- another big jump. But it's going to take 12-18 months (just a guess).

I think the main questions to the OP are: What do you have? What doesn't it do for you that you want/need it to? What do you hope to get from getting a new camera now (or in the future)?

If I were buying new right now, at this point, I'd strongly consider a 5D2, 6D, Sony RX1, or something mirrorless from Fuji/Sony. Might still end up with a 5D3. But not before thinking about i) my wants/needs), and ii) the potential to satisfy those wants/needs elsewhere while maintaining my ability to get back into the 5DmkX if there's a big sensor technology jump in the next round.

I'm actually doing that. I've got a 5D2 that is my professional workhorse. In the meantime, I've got an X-E1 and lenses to carry daily and explore other options with. Now I'm eyeing either FF-mirrorless (RX1, or mythical FF-NEX/Fuji), or return to 4th gen 5D body depending on what it brings.

It's a great time to be a photographer!

Aug 05, 2013 at 07:50 AM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · Pure speculation: future 5D3 prices

Gochugogi wrote:

Agreed, also not clear how per OP new cropped 7D2 could effect 5D3 price? Direction from 7D to 5D3 is almost 99% one way road. I don't know anyone who want to get back to 1.6 crop after using FF. Anyone?

Aug 05, 2013 at 12:35 PM
zlatko
• •
p.1 #13 · Pure speculation: future 5D3 prices

I don't see how any of those things will have an impact on pricing of the 5D3. Anything is possible, but there is no clear relationship.
- 1D series introductions have never affected 5D series pricing as far as I could tell.
- APS-C (xxD / 7D) series introductions have never affected 5D series pricing as far as I could tell.
- Sony NEX series introductions have never affected 5D series pricing, so why should a full frame NEX? It's a completely different camera, not a DSLR and not Canon-mount.

All of these are too different to have any appreciable impact. Other factors, such as currency exchange rates, are likely much more relevant to pricing, although still unpredictable.

The 5D3 is a magnificent improvement on the 5D2. It is a completely refined and revised camera, and the sensor is great. When I look at my photos, I never say, "I wish the sensor was better." If someone actually needs a better sensor, they should buy whatever camera has that.

Aug 05, 2013 at 03:14 PM
Beni
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · Pure speculation: future 5D3 prices

I love the fact that the 5D3 is now more expensive than when I bought it a year ago. I could have waited hoping but I didn't and boy was it the right decision.

Aug 05, 2013 at 03:20 PM
BluesWest
• • •
p.1 #15 · Pure speculation: future 5D3 prices

Thom Hogan offered an interesting commentary on the current state of the DSLR market in one of his recent blogs. An excerpt:

"I think we're going to have a very interesting Christmas run-up this year in cameras, especially if the CIPA shipments continue to be anywhere near 100% of last year's numbers. I think we're going to see some aggressive discounting in the final quarter of this year, and maybe even in the third quarter, as well.

Here's a link to the entire article: When will the panic start? (Thom Hogan)

John

Aug 05, 2013 at 03:25 PM
StarNut
• • •
p.1 #16 · Pure speculation: future 5D3 prices

Breitling65 wrote:
Agreed, also not clear how per OP new cropped 7D2 could effect 5D3 price? Direction from 7D to 5D3 is almost 99% one way road. I don't know anyone who want to get back to 1.6 crop after using FF. Anyone?

Lots of us have both. I bought my 7D after having had my 5D2 for quite some time. They are complementary bodies. The 5D3, with its faster frame rate, helps, but, for small critters a long way away, the 7D (especially in good light) is the superior nature/wildlife camera.

Aug 05, 2013 at 03:32 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · Pure speculation: future 5D3 prices

Basically, the same thing happens in the life cycle of just about every body. If you want to get it for a lower price, you can wait until farther along in the product life cycle and the price will go down just before the next "new thing" is introduced or just afterwards. Of course, you'll replace your current "how long should I wait in order to get the camera for less?" enigma with the "shouldn't I really get the new one with its updated capabilities?" enigma... which will then loop you right back to "how long should I wait in order to the camera for less?" issue when that new, ostensibly more capable camera is released.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

At some point, you have to buy a camera. ;-)

Dan

Aug 05, 2013 at 03:35 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #18 · Pure speculation: future 5D3 prices

Prices are seasonal, They drop near the end of the year, and rise in Spring / Summer.

Wait until just before the end of the year. Canon's Fiscal Year ends December 31, and they try to blow out inventory to get sales figures up as much as possible. This boosts the Canon stock price.

Edited on Aug 05, 2013 at 11:33 PM · View previous versions

Aug 05, 2013 at 03:53 PM
amacal1
• • •
p.1 #19 · Pure speculation: future 5D3 prices

I don't see a 7DII coming for a while. I don't think they'd want to undercut sales of the 70D, which if it will almost certainly share features with should it ever exist.

Aug 05, 2013 at 04:03 PM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · Pure speculation: future 5D3 prices

StarNut wrote:
Lots of us have both. I bought my 7D after having had my 5D2 for quite some time. They are complementary bodies. The 5D3, with its faster frame rate, helps, but, for small critters a long way away, the 7D (especially in good light) is the superior nature/wildlife camera.

Yes but having both is not the same. He is saying someone will sell or loss of his interest to 5D3 because of 7D2 and that could drop 5D3 price. 5D3 will be effected by 5D4 or maybe 6D2

Aug 05, 2013 at 05:21 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password