New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Nepal #7----Street

Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nepal #7----Street

In the middle of the Old City- Kathmandu.

Charlie Shugart 2013

Nepal- Street

Aug 04, 2013 at 10:46 PM
DaveOls
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nepal #7----Street

Charlie
Did you say once that these are scanned slides from a long time ago. Are they converted to B&W or is it film. What scanner do you use to do your slides?
I like the travel pics you've been posting.

Aug 05, 2013 at 05:44 AM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nepal #7----Street

Glad you like these, Dave.
95% of what I post on FM (five different forums) are my scans of slides. I use an Epson V500 Photo.
About 5% of what I post (including this series) are scans of B&W film negs or prints. Same scanner.
Charlie
PS I also have a CanoScan that works about the same.
Much is lost in my slide scans- so I have to do a rigamarole of little things to recover them.
Charlie

Aug 05, 2013 at 12:29 PM
DaveOls
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nepal #7----Street

I've been thinking of getting the V 600 scanner from Epson for a little bit more money. I think it has a top that does not have to be changed for negatives and slides. I've thought of the V 700, but that's a big jump up in price and may not be worth it. Your scans always look very good. I may save one or two of your images and blow them up to see when they fall apart.

Aug 05, 2013 at 03:48 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nepal #7----Street

DaveOls wrote:
I've been thinking of getting the V 600 scanner from Epson for a little bit more money. I think it has a top that does not have to be changed for negatives and slides. I've thought of the V 700, but that's a big jump up in price and may not be worth it. Your scans always look very good. I may save one or two of your images and blow them up to see when they fall apart.

Dave-
I don't know if your test will tell much, since I scan ONLY for FM posting.
Because I do a lot of scanning, I use a setting of only 1200 dpi (it takes 3 minutes to scan a group of four slides).
To get higher resolution would increase the time considerably.
Charlie

Aug 05, 2013 at 05:10 PM
DaveOls
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nepal #7----Street

I just took your pagoda picture into edit and enlarged it. At 100% it looked very good. At 200% I could clearly see the pixels. 100% was a little larger than the image posted. 200% was twice as large. For a fast 1200 dpi scan that's still pretty good. I'm mainly interested in all my 120 mm color negatives. I have no idea where the prints are, so I don't know exactly what I've got. ( We moved about 7 years ago. If you have ever moved you know what I am talking about. Things get misplaced and lost )
I may buy myself an early birthday present and get the V 600. I think you can do two or three negatives at a time in 120 mm. I've got thousands of 35 mm color negatives, but only hundreds of 120's. That might be a good start. Do you use Vuescan or the software that comes with the Epson?

I think it was one of you scans that you did a blow up of the numbers on a boat that was very impressive and clear.

Aug 05, 2013 at 06:13 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nepal #7----Street

I don't think that was my blow-up of a number on a boat.
I don't use ANY additional software on either my scans or my regular processing- but the reason is that I can't understand how to make any of the damn things even work .
On all matters computer and digital, I am forced to take baby steps from here to eternity. The "experts" who explain how to work them are the worst teachers in the world- and I have given up on them. So I creep along doing only the basics.
Even using my scanner, I do only the very basics to get the scans into my computer.
Through the years I have learned 14 things () about using my old Photoshop technologies- so once I get a basic scan into it, I can usually make improvements.
BTW, my Epson V500 will also scan 2 1/4 X 2 1/4 film, although I haven't done it yet.
Charlie

Aug 05, 2013 at 07:40 PM
DaveOls
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nepal #7----Street

I knew it did 2 1/4 x 2 1/4 film, but I thought that it had a lid that had to be changed too do transparencies. I don't know if it is the exact same software as the V 600 either. Anyways. there isn't that much difference in price between the V 500 and V 600.

Aug 06, 2013 at 01:13 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.