Thanks for your thoughts,

Bob

Edited on Aug 05, 2013 at 07:59 AM · View previous versions

Aug 04, 2013 at 07:35 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Abby + rework

More chest would be good.. The eyes are in the center of the hum an face. Without enough chest inclusion, the eyes sit too low in the frame and the balance seems off. Also, the crop on the left seems a bit cramped.

Aug 04, 2013 at 09:50 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Abby + rework

+1 @ Karen. Hair looks a touch oversharpened ... competes with face.

Aug 04, 2013 at 10:12 PM
Oregon Gal
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Abby + rework

Do you have an un-cropped version of the image? Taken at 300mm you may not. Blurred background is very nice, sharp image but agree with Kent, hair is the first thing my eyes are drawn to.

Aug 05, 2013 at 01:29 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Abby + rework

Thanks folks, information I was looking for.

Be back...

Bob

Aug 05, 2013 at 06:28 AM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Abby + rework

Also the hair and top of forehead are brighter than the face so your eye is initially drawn there.

Aug 05, 2013 at 07:49 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Abby + rework

Retry...

Aug 05, 2013 at 07:58 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Abby + rework

Looks to me like you were shooting slightly downward and the uber-skinny dof has your focus plane not well aligned with varying depth/distances of her facial features.

Btw, nice job a hand-holding (assumed) 300mm @ 1/200 if those wisps of hair are any indication.

Aug 05, 2013 at 08:59 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Abby + rework

RustyBug wrote:
Looks to me like you were shooting slightly downward and the uber-skinny dof has your focus plane not well aligned with varying depth/distances of her facial features.

Btw, nice job a hand-holding (assumed) 300mm @ 1/200 if those wisps of hair are any indication.

Yes, that is the fundamental problem. And the image, HH, is strictly a matter of luck.

The crown of the head - hair - wasn't sharpened, the lens is insanely sharp. A perfect storm, and infrequent event for me

Thanks for your thoughts, I think this version is at least family-worthy.

Bob

Aug 05, 2013 at 09:15 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Abby + rework

Took a stab @ some selective blur/sharp masking to try and offset some of the skinny dof/plane. Nothing radical, but see what you think.

Aug 05, 2013 at 09:32 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Abby + rework

Thanks but still looks top-heavy to me.

Couple of more days to get one right

Bob

Aug 05, 2013 at 10:03 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Abby + rework

Yeah, no crop ... just trying to offset the focal plane sharp/blur draw the eye thing a bit.

You might pull back to something in the 150-200 FL range. I think the 300 (dof/compression) might be a bit much for the subject matter.

I'd say stop down a couple stops with the 300 for dof, but then you're looking at bumping your ISO a couple stops more, and two stops slower shutter are not really much of an option (i.e. 1/100 - 1/50).

Aug 05, 2013 at 10:17 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Abby + rework

RustyBug wrote:
Yeah, no crop ... just trying to offset the focal plane sharp/blur draw the eye thing a bit.

You might pull back to something in the 150-200 FL range. I think the 300 (dof/compression) might be a bit much for the subject matter.

I'd say stop down a couple stops with the 300 for dof, but then you're looking at bumping your ISO a couple stops more, and two stops slower shutter are not really much of an option (i.e. 1/100 - 1/50).

Yes, actually I was doing something else but the opportunity for HH practice popped up - 80-200 is my tool of choice normally.

Aug 05, 2013 at 10:29 AM
Oregon Gal
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Abby + rework

I would start over with the original version posted, crop some from the top, pull down some of the highlights and bring up the exposure on her face. Maybe some light dodge and burn for contouring.

Aug 05, 2013 at 12:33 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Abby + rework

Suggested crop/rebuild with a few tweaks:

Aug 05, 2013 at 06:18 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Abby + rework

Great patch job Karen - an interesting challenge.

I checked and contrary to the way I normally do things, this one is about full frame so creative talents are required.

Thanks again for a great example,

Bob

Aug 05, 2013 at 07:34 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Abby + rework

Oregon Gal wrote:
I got a little time so did a quick re-work. The original has a green cast which I tried to remove, crop, minor perspective straightening, some minor warp work to reshape the face, lightened eyes, minor dodge and burn, used some luminosity masking to reign in some of the highlights, color balance and adjustments to saturation and tint. Posted original first and re-work for comparison purposes, anyway just a thought for processing.

Barbara,

Thanks for your time and re-works; color balance, as you know, is not one of my talents (maybe why I prefer B&W?)

I think coupling your and Karen's together yield good, aesthetically pleasing results.

Now to find the time

Thanks again,

Bob

Aug 05, 2013 at 07:37 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.