New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · LR 5. Gone in 60 sec?

OntheRez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · LR 5. Gone in 60 sec?

Normally when Adobe releases a major update to Lightroom (or PS) there is quite a bit of discussion and comparison of the new version to the prior release. Maybe I've missed it, but I've seen virtually nothing on LR 5. Generally Adobe spams me incessantly when they update, but I've not heard a word from them (though I certainly am bombarded with CC stuff).

Did anyone upgrade to LR 5? What benefits - if any - have you found? Or has everyone drunk the Kool-Aid and signed up for the "cloud?"

Really interested in feedback on LR 5 as my major complaints about LR 4 have to do with performance (and the dorky modal interface which will never change).

Robert

Aug 04, 2013 at 04:09 PM
BenV
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · LR 5. Gone in 60 sec?

They've been broadcasting the cloud.

Aug 04, 2013 at 05:01 PM
DanBrown
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · LR 5. Gone in 60 sec?

Try this.

And this video shows most of the new features of LR5:

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/whats-new-in-lightroom-5/lightroom-5-top-10-hidden-gems

Aug 04, 2013 at 07:01 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · LR 5. Gone in 60 sec?

Ben, the certainly have been clouding.

Dan, Thanks. I'd found the link but it certainly was buried rather deep in the applications list.

Have either of you got to LR5? If so, was it worth the fee?

Robert

Aug 04, 2013 at 09:33 PM
CAlbertson
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · LR 5. Gone in 60 sec?

BenV wrote:
They've been broadcasting the cloud.

That is why I'm using Aperture. It is not the difference in features but the user interface. I can work in any order and even edit frame #1 while the rest of the memory card continues to download and some bult export/upload runs.

I did not like the one thing at a time and in this order nature of the interface but, I think you are right they will never change that because it is the defining feature of LR that many people like.

LR is the one adobe produce not yet on the subscription payment model. I suspect because of the stiff competition it sees with Aperture.

Aug 04, 2013 at 10:15 PM
DanBrown
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · LR 5. Gone in 60 sec?

OntheRez wrote:
Have either of you got to LR5? If so, was it worth the fee?

I upgraded. I think the upgrade is worth the price for the Advanced Blending Tool and the Upright Tool.

Aug 04, 2013 at 10:39 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · LR 5. Gone in 60 sec?

DanBrown wrote:
I upgraded. I think the upgrade is worth the price for the Advanced Blending Tool and the Upright Tool.

Yep me too .
I made the upgrade when I migrated from a PC to my imac . Probably didnt 'NEED,' to do the upgrade but it does seem to run nicer than 4 ever did and the upright tool is great

Not sure i understand the comment about 'doing one thing at a time' . You don't have to wait for a process to finish before you start another . You can start to edit while the imports are still coming in , and I work images all the time while LR is doing an export of something else .

Also I tried APERTURE (someone on here found me the link to a demo version) and I can see that its a nice app but I just couldn't get on with it . There's alot of chatter on the net praying that version 4 will actually arrive (which being a PC user until recently I pretty much ignored) . If Ap 4 does come and is a big improvement then yes it can be a serious competitor to LR but as I see it LR has made significant advances over it at the moment .

Aug 05, 2013 at 12:56 AM
DanBrown
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · LR 5. Gone in 60 sec?

CAlbertson wrote:
LR is the one adobe produce not yet on the subscription payment model.

Lightroom 5 is available for purchase as a separate program. However, if you subscribe to the Creative Cloud, Lightroom is available as a part of your subscription.

Aug 05, 2013 at 07:17 AM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · LR 5. Gone in 60 sec?

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
Yep me too .
I made the upgrade when I migrated from a PC to my imac . Probably didnt 'NEED,' to do the upgrade but it does seem to run nicer than 4 ever did and the upright tool is great

Not sure i understand the comment about 'doing one thing at a time' . You don't have to wait for a process to finish before you start another . You can start to edit while the imports are still coming in , and I work images all the time while LR is doing an export of
...Show more

Ian,
The one thing at a time referred to its modal nature: library, develop, print, etc. In Aperture one can do anything/everything in the same window. LR4 (on a fully loaded MacPro) always does the stall/spin/think thing switching from one mode to the next. Also one has to learn that you need to be in the correct mode to do something unlike AP where everything is always available. I much preferred the AP interface and was stunned to find that - at least for me - AP performed significantly better. I consider one of AP's key points is that I can backup and manage files directly from within the program whereas with LR all you can do is back up the catalog and you have to have another tool and strategy for actual file redundancy.

So why am I using LR? Frankly, I came to the conclusion that Apple wasn't going to keep supporting it, so I decided to bite the bullet before my image database got any larger. The change took a lot of work. Within 3 months after switching Adobe came out with the cloud abomination which has definitely cooled me to using their products though frankly PS is indispensable. Perhaps Apple will see Adobe's moves as motivation to finally get AP 4.0 to market. Certainly hope so as any competition to Adobe is a "good thing."

I checked out Adobe's various "what's new with 5" videos and it looks like it's probably worth the upgrade. The improvement in the healing tool (so that it can act as a brush) is something AP long had and I considered LR's clone/heal rather lame. The radial vignette tool looks interesting, but not sure how useful. If the upright tool works as advertised, I would no longer have to use DXO for perspective correction.

Guess I'll find the best deal available and move forward.

Thanks for the input and advice.

Robert

Aug 05, 2013 at 09:47 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · LR 5. Gone in 60 sec?

Robert, OK yeah i get the 'mode' thing . maybe if i was to give AP a bit more time i could get into it . but hey I dont mind the UI of LR so now im used to it it probably makes me more productive .

It would be great if Apple do a big update for AP4 as with the correct tools it could well become a PS alternative . heck, they could do worse than to incorperate pixelmator 3 (with a few additions) into AP4 and get along way to the goal

one thing that really shocked me was how apple have not really intergrated the ipad into the Aperture workflow . iphoto (quite usefull on the mac sometimes ) does not even seem to intergrate with iphoto on the ipad (or am i missing something here?) . But surely they could have made an AP3 APP on the ipad that would sync with the mac and let you do some work away from the mac .
Adobe have been touting something for LR5 but it will probably require CC subscription to work . but I have found the latest version of photosmith works really well with LR5 . I can import stuff into LR5 and start to work , but if i need to be away I can flag/rate/keyword etc on the ipad and sync back to LR5 when im back at my desk .

Oh and ok i never used LR4 on my new imac (and never used a mac before) but I have to say on my 27" i7 with a Fusion drive it zings along real nice . Ive not even felt the need to upgrade the standar 8 gig of ram yet

Aug 05, 2013 at 11:19 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · LR 5. Gone in 60 sec?

I confess I'm struggling to see much difference between LR4 and 5. Maybe I'm not using the right tools - the only real change i've seen is the smart healing tool and I generally have to fight it hard to get it to do what I wan, so I don't regard it as an upgrade. Performance is basically unchanged from 4 to 5.

Aug 05, 2013 at 02:26 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · LR 5. Gone in 60 sec?

OntheRez wrote:
I consider one of AP's key points is that I can backup and manage files directly from within the program whereas with LR all you can do is back up the catalog and you have to have another tool and strategy for actual file redundancy.

Lr can do some backing up during file import but in my opinion we need to backup more than just photos and so we need a separate backup utility anyway. I use Carbon Copy Cloner and Time Machine for this, keeping multiple backups of everything on multiple drives.

- Alan

Aug 06, 2013 at 05:18 AM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · LR 5. Gone in 60 sec?

I find LR 5 fast, with no delay switching back and forth between Library and Develop modules, running a MB Pro Retina that I've had for almost a year. I'm now using RC 5.2, and found a glitch that I mentioned in the thread about that, but then, it is a release candidate, not final release.

I've also discovered much more use for the radial gradient than I expected. I'm happy that I upgraded LR, but I'm sticking with Photoshop CS6 self-contained. Not interested in the Cloud suite at this point.

Aug 06, 2013 at 04:37 PM
Rand47
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · LR 5. Gone in 60 sec?

The new radial gradient & lens correction tools are worth the price of the upgrade.
The radial gradient is very flexible and powerful.
Rand

Aug 12, 2013 at 08:11 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.