Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · Rainier Revealed

BryanSwan
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Rainier Revealed

Congratulations to BryanSwan for winning Feature Thread of the Week with 16 votes - View Previous Winners

Got together with Jamey Pyles to make a run on Rainier since the flowers are starting to pop off pretty good now. Weather started out pretty grim looking, clouds across the whole sky but the forecast insisted that it would largely burn off by the evening. Considering my near-perfect track record of getting skunked, I wasn't about to get my hopes up.

So we started slogging up to Indian Henry's Mosquito Breeding Grounds and quickly ran into a washed-out trail that necessitated a way-more-effort-than-should-be-necessary detour up and around the bank, only to later find out that there was an easier way around by gingerly fording part of Tahoma Creek and then using some logs to get across the rest of the stream (basically a small river).

Going further up, the clouds started to tease at thinning and clearing out, so after briefly discussing bailing on the hike we opted to keep on keeping on. So we get up to the meadows, which are starting to flower quite nicely but are still at least a week (probably 2) away from peak, and introduced ourselves to the attendees of the bug convention being held literally everywhere - some of the worst mozzies I've ever seen, so profuse that I had to actually clone dozens of them out of this picture - and then waited out the clouds. After probably not more than 30 minutes, we spotted a couple other rather dejected looking photographers wandering into our rightly claimed territory and slowly mozied over to mingle. Turned out it was Dustin Gent and Justin Grimm, who decided to come up the hard way. So we all ended up bs-ing for several hours and took in the show as the clouds actually did finally clear, much to my amazement. So I'll probably get skunked the next dozen visits to Rainier now.

Aug 04, 2013 at 08:51 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Rainier Revealed

Hey Bryan,

Man, this is sweet, you really nailed it!

What beautiful light, and thanks for the update on the mosquitoes, I was wondering how bad they were. I should be there in a week, so hopefully you left some good sunsets on the table for when I get there!

Jim

Aug 04, 2013 at 09:46 PM
dsjtecserv
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Rainier Revealed

Super shot, well worth the wait, and taking the chance in the first place.

Dave

Aug 04, 2013 at 09:47 PM
BryanSwan
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Rainier Revealed

JimFox wrote:
What beautiful light, and thanks for the update on the mosquitoes, I was wondering how bad they were.

Just layer up on the bug spray and you'll be fine. I had at least three coats of DEET on and I didn't get bitten, but they were still swarming like mad. Black flies are still pretty bad too, but mostly in the forested areas.

Aug 04, 2013 at 09:49 PM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Rainier Revealed

Sweet image. Glad your luck & patience played out well.
You know, you should have left a few skeeters in the foreground for context

Dan

Aug 04, 2013 at 09:49 PM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Rainier Revealed

Beautiful shot, Bryan. I left there several days ago, would like to have stayed longer. Only one sunset evening during my week and I was outside the park, up on White Pass.

Aug 04, 2013 at 10:45 PM
NickHenderson
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Rainier Revealed

Superb shot.

Aug 04, 2013 at 10:47 PM
rsk7
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Rainier Revealed

I've always heard that DEET can melt some forms of plastic and keep it far away from you camera gear.

Aug 04, 2013 at 10:59 PM
psharvic
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Rainier Revealed

Well worth the ordeal. Well done.

Aug 05, 2013 at 12:04 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Rainier Revealed

Nice classic view of the mountain. :-)

Dan

Aug 05, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

harshaj1
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Rainier Revealed

Beautiful image. worth the effort.
Harsha

Aug 05, 2013 at 12:29 AM
zeelichsheng
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Rainier Revealed

Simply gorgeous, and so tempting that makes me want to go back to Rainier again next weekend!

Aug 05, 2013 at 01:06 AM
MS PHOTO
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Rainier Revealed

What a beautiful shot, you did good.
thanks for sharing
Paul

Aug 05, 2013 at 01:09 AM
CarlG
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Rainier Revealed

That is SO sweet!! Jealous!!

Aug 05, 2013 at 01:14 AM
BryanSwan
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Rainier Revealed

rsk7 wrote:
I've always heard that DEET can melt some forms of plastic and keep it far away from you camera gear.

In my experience, it would take a LOT of concentrated exposure for that to happen. I had the outer coating on the grip of my 1st gen Digital Rebel start to break down, but I think that was largely just a result of heavy use, consistently sweaty and grimy palms, and the materials that were used. Never had problems with anything else, but then again I usually don't coat the palms of my hands with bug spray either.

Aug 05, 2013 at 03:49 AM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Rainier Revealed

Awesome shot. Composition is perfect and the conditions were quite good. The wildflowers are superb. Very nice.

Aug 05, 2013 at 04:25 AM
alatoo60
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Rainier Revealed

That's a beautiful light and awesome composition. Very well worth the lives of several hundred mosquitoes.

Sasha.

Aug 05, 2013 at 04:36 AM
kwilliam8
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Rainier Revealed

Bryan, great shot! It was worth the wait and skeeters!
Keith W

Aug 05, 2013 at 05:29 AM
PeaktoPeek
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Rainier Revealed

Sweet image -- damn the mosquitoes!
Paul

Aug 05, 2013 at 06:28 AM
andyjaggy82
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Rainier Revealed

This is a sweet shot, I love everything about it.

Aug 05, 2013 at 02:54 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password