Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Armstrong Redwoods

skibum5
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Armstrong Redwoods

Edited on Aug 06, 2013 at 12:59 AM · View previous versions

Aug 04, 2013 at 04:54 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Armstrong Redwoods

processed using all the ACR CS6 tools and Viveza 2 and basic PS CS6 tools

Aug 04, 2013 at 04:56 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Armstrong Redwoods

These are nice, but they aren't making my socks drop off... #5 is my favorite I think from the series. Forest shots can be among the hardest places to compose shots. Trying to make sense from what is often utter chaos is not an easy chore.

I also think #1 has more potential. I don't like how that branch cuts across the upper left. That's distracting. But the bottom half of the shot is really cool with that bent trunk. Did you shoot a horizontal composition there?

Jim

Aug 04, 2013 at 07:45 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Armstrong Redwoods

JimFox wrote:
These are nice, but they aren't making my socks drop off... #5 is my favorite I think from the series. Forest shots can be among the hardest places to compose shots. Trying to make sense from what is often utter chaos is not an easy chore.

I also think #1 has more potential. I don't like how that branch cuts across the upper left. That's distracting. But the bottom half of the shot is really cool with that bent trunk. Did you shoot a horizontal composition there?

Jim

Hah #5 is actually my least favorite of the set and I sort of threw it in there last second .
I guess everyone sees things differently. But glad you enjoyed #5.

No, #1 was all vertical composition.

I liked the light on these ones and the PP method I tried.

Edited on Aug 04, 2013 at 08:54 AM · View previous versions

Aug 04, 2013 at 08:05 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Armstrong Redwoods

skibum5 wrote:
Hah #5 is actually my least favorite of the set and I sort of threw it in there last second .
I guess everyone sees things differently. But glad you enjoyed #5.

No, #1 was all vertical composition.

Actually, while that one was shot vertically, looking things over, I see that I do have a few horizontal shots from the area #1 was taken in too. I didn't dig into the horizontal ones yet, but will later when I go back and try to finish the set. I started with the vertical choices on that group today.

Aug 04, 2013 at 08:13 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Armstrong Redwoods

FYI, I do like your processing on all of these. So what ever your steps are now, don't change that.

Jim

Aug 04, 2013 at 09:05 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Armstrong Redwoods

JimFox wrote:
FYI, I do like your processing on all of these. So what ever your steps are now, don't change that.

Jim

thanks.

I may be a little down on #5 at the moment because it gave me the most vicious fight during processing (think Snoopy and the folding chair ) and I'm still not quite sure I 100% got every last bit quite right, a really vicious RAW file hah but I should forgive it in the end .

Aug 04, 2013 at 09:10 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Armstrong Redwoods

New version of #3 with highlights pushed just a bit farther to give the bright parts more brightness separation from upper mids:

Edited on Aug 05, 2013 at 08:56 PM · View previous versions

Aug 04, 2013 at 09:38 PM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Armstrong Redwoods

I too like the processing of these but in #3 would crop off the bottom to eliminate that small branch laying across. This would also get rid of the bright spot. I agree with Jim, forest shots are among the toughest and you did well to try many comps

Dan

Aug 04, 2013 at 09:54 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Armstrong Redwoods

dswiger wrote:
I too like the processing of these but in #3 would crop off the bottom to eliminate that small branch laying across. This would also get rid of the bright spot. I agree with Jim, forest shots are among the toughest and you did well to try many comps

Dan

I don't mind the branch crossing, but I can see how some might not like hot spots. It's either or for me in this case, both have their strengths, although I think I might still prefer it with the branch and hot spot, more depth and glow and bit more in the forest as opposed to a landscape overlook sort of view, but I'm sure some prefer a cleaner, more top of the mountain overlook type of style. Here is a version without the hot spot (and branch):

Aug 05, 2013 at 08:55 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Armstrong Redwoods

a few more:
here I was simply getting the full height of the largest tree, they are impressive:

more of the stream and a vertical take alternative of 2 and 3, river got just a bit blown, DR of the scene was a bit too much to handle:

Aug 05, 2013 at 09:02 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password