New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · "Cannot edit movie." on D800

plnelson
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · "Cannot edit movie." on D800

I have a time-lapse movie I made on my D800. It's 8 seconds long. But the first frame is bad so I'm using the procedure described in the manual under "Editing Movies" in the manual (page 74 of the US copy)

Everything is as it ought to be but when I press the ^ button on the multiselector dial (the one with the scissors in the display) it says "Cannot edit movie".

What does this mean? Why am I getting this?

Thanks in advance.

Aug 03, 2013 at 11:38 PM
Justin Huffman
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · "Cannot edit movie." on D800

just offering a guess, have you removed/reinserted the memory card or played with the file in post? I discovered the .xml sidecar adobe products write to the original file confuses the nikons playback system. HTH

Aug 04, 2013 at 07:34 AM
plnelson
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · "Cannot edit movie." on D800

Justin Huffman wrote:
just offering a guess, have you removed/reinserted the memory card or played with the file in post? I discovered the .xml sidecar adobe products write to the original file confuses the nikons playback system. HTH

That's a good guess - I DID take the card out, put it in the PC, and then reinsert it into the camera. I don't see an XML file on there. The only file I see that I don't understand is a file called "_disk_id.pod" but when I open it in a text editor it's some sort of binary format - definitely not XML.

The D800 manual lists lots of error messages but it doesn't list this one. I tried Googling for it with "D800" and got nothing, zero, zilch. I think Nikon should document all their user-facing error messages.

In this case I fixed the problem by deleting that first, bad, frame in Microsoft Movie Maker. I've ordered Corel Video Studio Ultimate X6 from Amazon for future use so I probably won't need to worry about this from now on.

Aug 04, 2013 at 05:23 PM
Gregstx
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · "Cannot edit movie." on D800

My first thought is that you could have the video marked as "locked" in the camera.

Aug 04, 2013 at 09:33 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.