Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · First Attempt at HDR - Coudland Canyon

RyanDuggar
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · First Attempt at HDR - Coudland Canyon

I definitely need improvement for clouds/objects that move but overall was something fun to try. Happy to hear any others tips or advice on bettering usage of HDR. Thanks guys and gals!

Aug 03, 2013 at 08:52 PM
Ernie Aubert
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · First Attempt at HDR - Coudland Canyon

To me, those look very well done. None of the telltale indicators that they're HDR. I think you did a great first attempt - much better than I did.

Aug 04, 2013 at 12:32 AM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · First Attempt at HDR - Coudland Canyon

The first two are definitely high contrast scenes, but the sky is a bit on the unnatural side. Also, the rest of the scene gets some odd tones from the HDR processing. I think the first two would benefit from a manual blend. All you need to do is use the foreground exposure for most of the scene, but then feather in the sky exposure with a layer mask in photoshop. If you post some low res jpegs of the dark, middle, and light exposures, it would be possible to show the difference with manual blending.

The third photo has a dynamic range that is perfectly within the range of the camera. When HDR is used, it kills the shadow tone, so the foreground hills end up kind of muddy in the mid tones. It also leads to some uneven parts of the blue sky.

Though HDR can be a solution for certain types of photography, I very rarely see it as an effective solution for landscape photography. It has a tendency to make things look weird.

Aug 04, 2013 at 12:47 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Greg Campbell
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · First Attempt at HDR - Coudland Canyon

The waterfall shots have very nice compositions. What do they look like w/o the HDR treatment?

I think you could raise the blackpoint on all these by a few clicks. IMO, all three images are all a little washed out in the midrange, and including a dash of 'True Black' into landscapes is seldom a bad thing. As Ben points out, the sky of both waterfall shots has some obvious halo effects and other unnatural activity going on.

While I'm nitpicking I'd suggest cropping the tree from the edge of #3.

Edited on Aug 04, 2013 at 07:46 PM · View previous versions

Aug 04, 2013 at 01:51 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · First Attempt at HDR - Coudland Canyon

Third one looks pretty close to natural. The first two, moreso the first one, looks a touch off since the sky should be much brighter than everything else but doesn't look it. It's a tricky thing. Still messing with it myself. Pretty solid first try!

Sometimes you can use ACR tools to bring highlights wayyy down to protect them and rise exposure up and shadows up and black level up a bit and then on ACR levels lower the highlights quite a bit but then pump up the lower highs a real lot and then raise up the last two sliders a little. Then in PS if you have Viveza you can drop control points all over the brightest parts and, if needed, the very, very blackest, and then drop one on an area should look darker than the sky and is semi-dark but sort of faded out looking at the moment and then bring structure control way up to give that low contrast mid and lower midtone and upper shadows contrast and detail back and raise contrast a touch and then drag brightness down a bunch. And add some more points as and if needed to mess around with those.

Then in PS again once you exit the Viveza plug in you can do a shadow highlights and raise shadows 1-3. And then in PS levels you can maybe bring the blackpoint up 1 if needed, perhaps 2 although maybe not and then drag the mids well down to bring more contrast in again and make sure they are not too close to the brights and then slide the highlights control down just a bit, just clip a few of the tiny brightest bits but bring some extra pop to the hihglights and brights that should seem to be glowing a real lot.

My Armstrong Redwoods thread had the images processed that way.

As for motion, yeah that is tricky, that's why it's nice if you have something like Exmor sensor in your camera with good DR at lower ISOs. I don't so I fight at times and sometimes have to live with the darker areas looking a bit ugly mess at large print size or really really fight and try to fix the bad parts up for a long time and mask the banding and noise. I used HDR software on some multi-image HDR in some of my Muir Woods shots, the earlier ones from teh thread a few days ago and I set the motion compensator to max which helped a lot but some things still got a bit weird at 100% view to say the least. Sometimes you can do complicated masks between layers and try to isolate moving parts and dark and light and so on but it takes a long time and it's a real pain if the scene is complex and yeah tricky stuff at best and time consuming and sometimes it will still be a bit too tough to work out.

But as with the later Muir Woods and Armstrong photos you can sometimes fight pretty good stuff out of single shot even with lesser DR sensors (although in a couple of them the darkest large trunk looks a little rougher than you'd ideally like, it's a bit weak in detail and high in noise and artifacts and yet right next to the rest which is all smooth).

Aug 04, 2013 at 08:40 AM
RyanDuggar
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · First Attempt at HDR - Coudland Canyon

Wow thank you all for all of the responses and advice. It was a place I was heading to for fun and the HDR was more of a spur of the moment thing to try. I definitely will need to play more in photoshop! Attached kind of sample of the spot.

Aug 04, 2013 at 05:57 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password