FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · Lens Advice for Europe Trip - Switzerland and Paris, France

AFC168
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lens Advice for Europe Trip - Switzerland and Paris, France

Hi all,

I'm going on a trip to Switzerland (Zurich, St. Moritz, Lausanne) and Paris and was planning on taking my Canon 5D III with my 24-70 II and 70-200 II and hopefully a tripod. Do you all think I need anything else? I've never been to Switzerland and was in Paris a long time ago ...

Thanks for any suggestions!

Aug 03, 2013 at 12:59 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lens Advice for Europe Trip - Switzerland and Paris, France

I'll bet that someone will suggest posting this in one of the gear forums rather than in the landscape forum, so I'll hold off replying for now... except to say that I just returned from three weeks in somewhat similar places and had to consider the same question.

Dan

Aug 03, 2013 at 03:51 PM
Rajan Parrikar
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lens Advice for Europe Trip - Switzerland and Paris, France

AFC168 wrote:
Hi all,

I'm going on a trip to Switzerland (Zurich, St. Moritz, Lausanne) and Paris and was planning on taking my Canon 5D III with my 24-70 II and 70-200 II and hopefully a tripod. Do you all think I need anything else? I've never been to Switzerland and was in Paris a long time ago ...

Thanks for any suggestions!

Adding a TS-E 17mm to the bag will be very useful especially if you want to do architectural shots (and for landscape, too) since there are rich opportunities in the places you cite.

Aug 03, 2013 at 07:23 PM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lens Advice for Europe Trip - Switzerland and Paris, France

I would take an ultra wide angle of some sort in the 14-18mm range. The 16-35mm zoom is great if you have it. The valleys in the alps are very deep and vertical relief can be as large as 10,000 feet (Grindelwald/The Eiger) from the valley floor to the top of the peaks just a short distance away. Also, in Paris, a lot of the architecture interiors require very wide lenses to get it all in.

Aug 05, 2013 at 09:20 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lens Advice for Europe Trip - Switzerland and Paris, France

Sounds like you are mostly shooting cities rather than landscape?

Aug 05, 2013 at 10:31 AM
firstgear99
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lens Advice for Europe Trip - Switzerland and Paris, France

You will want and can use 16-35........inside buildings etc where you can't back up enough......

My guess is that unless you want to shoot people, the 70-200 will sit in your bag 97%+ of the time.

Been to Paris ad Switzerland a number of times......sometimes when I want a particular feature of a building I will use my longest lens I have with me......

By the way, if you go to Eiffel Tower, 2 to 3 months in advance make a reservation for the Jules Verne restaurant. Cheapest meal is during week where you can expect to pay more than $400 for two....for two on the weekend it is closer to $700. Views cost to view and eat!

The meal is expensive, without a doubt, but you can get a window seat and spend 2 hours eating and looking at Paris below you....just not the same as observation deck that you share with lots of people.

Aug 05, 2013 at 07:50 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lens Advice for Europe Trip - Switzerland and Paris, France

I just shot three weeks in London, Germany (Heidelberg, Bavaria, including portions of the alps), and Austria (including Salzburg and some areas in the Salzach valley.)

Anyone who knows me knows that I usually shoot a full frame DSLR with lenses ranging from ultrawide to rather long, almost always shooting from the tripod, and doing predominantly but not exclusively landscape work.

However, on this trip I took only a Fujifilm X-E1, an APS-C cropped sensor mirrorless body, with a 14mm f/2.8 prime, a 35mm f/1.4 prime, and a 55-200mm zoom. The primary reason for this change was that I did not want to cart a full kit of heavy and bulky full frame gear and L lenses around the UK and Europe for three weeks - and I wanted to travel very light. In fact, we took only carry on luggage - a backpack plus a small messenger bag that carried the camera gear and a few other things like a small laptop.

If I were going back tomorrow, I would likely again forgo the full frame gear and go light. I happily shot most of the time with the 35mm primes (roughly equivalent to 55mm on full frame), though I was happy to have the wide prime for tight interior and exterior architectural shots (cathedrals, etc.), and the zoom gave me flexibility that I occasionally needed, too.

Think about it.

Dan

http://gdanmitchell.com/gallery/d/7455-3/AlpenHike20130718.jpg
(35mm prime)

http://gdanmitchell.com/gallery/d/7490-3/HeiliggeistkircheInteriorVertHeidelberg20130712.jpg
(14mm prime)

http://gdanmitchell.com/gallery/d/7506-3/HeidelbergHaupstrasse20130712.jpg
(55-200mm zoom)

Aug 05, 2013 at 08:26 PM
SKumar25
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lens Advice for Europe Trip - Switzerland and Paris, France

What's the purpose of the trip?

Is it a holiday, or a photo oriented trip?

If it is a holiday, I'm with Dan. Travel light and enjoy the place / family. In this case I'd just take the 24-70L. Last thing you'd want to do is lug around a hefty backpack everywhere. Perhaps take the 70-200 L too, but that would be it.

If it is a photo trip, then by all means take additional gear.

Aug 05, 2013 at 08:54 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lens Advice for Europe Trip - Switzerland and Paris, France

I'm on a two-week Europe holiday right now, including Paris/Switzerland. 95% of my photos have been taken with 24-70. If anything else, you might want an ultra-wide zoom or prime. 70-200 is nice for some compressed landscapes, but I have only taken a few shots so far with mine.

Aug 05, 2013 at 09:07 PM
Larate
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lens Advice for Europe Trip - Switzerland and Paris, France

I often spend time visiting Paris and its suburbs (yes, that's a pity but Versailles is no longer a pretty small town !).
I spent several days in the French Alps some days ago (Northern near Albertville and Southern in the Mercantour).
As always, I took a lot of gears (really too much) and in the end I only got two of them out of the bags : a 35/1.4 and the 70-200/4 IS (with a FF body). But that's a bit biased (is that correct ? I'm too tired/lazy to check it) as I knew these places well.

Anyway, here are some of my advice :
* Do not take too heavy gear because you will walk a lot.

* Beware of the pickpockets. Alas they are trained in Paris with all the tourists. But with a heavy gear, you can defend yourself easily !

* In many places in Paris, a tripod is not allowed or a special authorization is required. For example museums, Louvre's entrance (the place with the pyramids), the Place de l'Etoile, and so on. Even the sidewalks are theoretically forbidden to tripods (although the dogs can put their shits !). For such places, IS is welcomed.

* Most of the famous places in Paris a quite large. Meaning mosf of the time, you can step backwards if needed. And imho a 70-200 is more interesting to isolate monuments than a wide angle that would catch too much.

* Paris by night is really marvellous. I spent hours around ND, the Arc de Triomphe and the Champs Élisées, etc. And now tripod is more tolerated because there less people (you're less dangerous). At night, it is advisable to stay around tourist places for your safety.

* The most important is to enjoy your journey !

Aug 05, 2013 at 09:45 PM
timpdx
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Lens Advice for Europe Trip - Switzerland and Paris, France

Second Paris at night. Bring fast glass and IS.

Aug 05, 2013 at 11:20 PM
Jeff65

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Lens Advice for Europe Trip - Switzerland and Paris, France

Take a wide angle like a 16-35. Don't foget a flash and welcome in Switzerland!
Visit also Bern and Zermatt if you can.
I m working in Bern...

René

Aug 06, 2013 at 01:50 AM
Henga
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Lens Advice for Europe Trip - Switzerland and Paris, France

I wouldn't bother with an ultra wide lens like a 16-35mm… I think your gear is fine for your trip, I would just add a fast prime like a 35 or a 50mm F1.4, just in case. If you have, a pano head could be quite interested as well.
Never had any problem with tripod in Paris.
My advise would be to get up very early to enjoy Paris without tourist.

Arnaud

Aug 06, 2013 at 03:10 AM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Lens Advice for Europe Trip - Switzerland and Paris, France

Bring what you like to shoot the stuff that you like to shoot. Expect nice landscapes (mountains), and cobblestone cities. And of course everything else.

Dan-- too bad you just came through Bavaria. I would have been happy to show you a few secrets...

Aug 06, 2013 at 08:45 AM
John_T
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Lens Advice for Europe Trip - Switzerland and Paris, France

As far as IQ and usage is concerned, think you've got what you need there, AFC. I would add 1.4 & 2x TC IIIs for longer options to pick off some details, like gargoyles and people. Scenery and such get boring without seeing some features and people closer.

Personally I'd skip the tripod, a pain to drag around for infrequent usage that can be otherwise solved.

Aug 06, 2013 at 09:29 AM
AFC168
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Lens Advice for Europe Trip - Switzerland and Paris, France

Thanks for all the great responses! This is mostly a family vacation, but I might have a little time to take pictures.

Sounds like the 24-70 will get most of what I need done, and perhaps also a 16-35 ...

Interesting comments about the tripod ... maybe I'll just bring a monopod instead.

Aug 06, 2013 at 02:21 PM
AFC168
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Lens Advice for Europe Trip - Switzerland and Paris, France

Thanks for the Jules Verne suggestion! My wife loves to eat ... maybe I'll try to go there for lunch when it won't be so expensive.

firstgear99 wrote:
You will want and can use 16-35........inside buildings etc where you can't back up enough......

My guess is that unless you want to shoot people, the 70-200 will sit in your bag 97%+ of the time.

Been to Paris ad Switzerland a number of times......sometimes when I want a particular feature of a building I will use my longest lens I have with me......

By the way, if you go to Eiffel Tower, 2 to 3 months in advance make a reservation for the Jules Verne restaurant. Cheapest meal is during week where you can expect to pay more than $400 for two....for
...Show more

Aug 06, 2013 at 02:32 PM
AFC168
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Lens Advice for Europe Trip - Switzerland and Paris, France

Hi Rene,

Have you taken the glacier express from St. Moritz to Zermatt? I'd like to do it, but I don't know if my daughter can deal with a 7 hour train ride ...

Also, what would you recommend in Bern if I were able to stop for a few hours?

Thanks!
Andy

Jeff65 wrote:
Take a wide angle like a 16-35. Don't foget a flash and welcome in Switzerland!
Visit also Bern and Zermatt if you can.
I m working in Bern...

René

Aug 06, 2013 at 02:33 PM
John_T
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Lens Advice for Europe Trip - Switzerland and Paris, France

Bern has a Medieval old town and cathedral, art, history and weapons museums in a bunch, the Bern bears, Einstein house, etc. all within walking distance of the main train station.

http://www.bern.ch/en/welcome

http://www.museen-bern.ch/en/

http://www.einstein-bern.ch/index.php?lang=en

http://www.kunstmuseumbern.ch/en/

http://www.kunsthalle-bern.ch/en/

http://www.zytglogge-bern.ch/flash_v1.html

https://www.google.com/search?q=Bern,+ch&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=MUMDUqTOGcuh7AaN44A4&ved=0CHQQsAQ&biw=1306&bih=938

Aug 08, 2013 at 02:28 AM
AFC168
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Lens Advice for Europe Trip - Switzerland and Paris, France

Thanks for the suggestions John!

Aug 12, 2013 at 08:02 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.