New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · New LED Monolight Replacements

douter
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New LED Monolight Replacements

Anyone out there considering adopting the new LED monolights, (seems more viable than the fluorescents available for continuous lighting)? I see that Westcott and Photodiox have them now. Though you can get 3 of the latter to one of the Skyluxes?
Douglas

Aug 03, 2013 at 12:15 PM
CAlbertson
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New LED Monolight Replacements

Cool continous lighting really changes the way we think about lights. In fact the only reason we used to like flash was because "hot lights" were so hot. Those 1000W lamps would cook the model or the product or the photographer. BUt now we can get all that same continuous light with lamps cool enough to touch while they are on. Why use flash any more except for portable shooting. In a studio just plug in the cool continous lights. Yes color balance is kind of an issue but it always it, flash was never a perfect match to sunlight. We can do white balance in post now.

I'm planning to start with one very small and inexpensive (under $100) LED panel and also one small CFL based soft box that sells at about the same price. I plan to use both and decide where to go from there.

The LEDS seem the best if yu can afford the price of a larger panel CFLs are cheap but harder to transport, 20 of those light bulbs can fill a large case and you have to screw each on e in every time you set up.

Aug 05, 2013 at 04:46 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New LED Monolight Replacements

LED, like fluorescent and sodium vapor, has spiky spectrum: color balancing is not sufficient to restore hues that are entirely absent from the image capture. Another problem common to continuous light is motion blur of subject or camera. I do tabletop with longer lenses and it's alarming how much detail can be robbed by camera shake. With strobes, sharpness is maintained with ease.

Aug 05, 2013 at 05:05 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.