New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · BW Candid

sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · BW Candid

In my never-ending series of....this is what I took now whats the best I can do with it......
Included SOOC if anyone wants to play.
In addition to the likely many unforseen portrait improvements in processing I could benefit from, what do you think about the hand position and crop? Other rotations?

Thanks
BTW, taking at my daughter-in-laws baby shower a few months back. This is one of her cousins.

Scott

GoetzPhotoz 2013

Aug 02, 2013 at 09:59 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · BW Candid

Perhaps a few tweaks and some retouching to cut the shine?

Aug 02, 2013 at 10:53 PM
gadip

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · BW Candid

Here is my take on this , hope that's fine with you..

Aug 03, 2013 at 01:57 AM
gadip

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · BW Candid

Here is my take on the original.. have no idea how to make the people in the background go away tho..

Aug 03, 2013 at 02:05 AM
Almass
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · BW Candid

Hands are always an issue with portraits.

Unless the Hands position is essential to the mood and message, then it is best to avoid having hands in such tight portrait.

Having said that, she is a very pretty lady and I always like to have the eyes showing but not necessarily looking at the camera.

As usual, the hero in the picture are the eyes and everything else is fluff.

I took the liberty to PP heavily your pic and I hope you like the result.

Aug 03, 2013 at 07:58 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · BW Candid

Scott,

Overall, I was kinda surprised by the original. The transformation from snap to port is a nice take on things. You might want to go back through on your brushwork as there are some spots / edges that are a bit rough in a few places. No easy feat to bring it to this point, but there are a few places that could use some additional attention before taking to print. I might consider a radial gradient/vignette/blur to transition/emulate some falloff between the edges @ subject to the bg

Nice job on capturing the pensive mood.

While not a flattering port, per se ... here's something to reflect what she might be thinking/feeling @ isolated/different from the other women and wondering if she is destined to become just like them?

Many different vibes you could put to it with hue/tonal variations. This is one that I could see being a historical reflection about 30 & 50 years from now as she is then sitting in one of the other chairs and seeing her daughter / grand-daughter with a similar pensive look.

Aug 03, 2013 at 09:07 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · BW Candid

Lovely young lady..

FWIW I'm inclined more toward something like .. or .... halo not withstanding...

Seems clipping out context removes relevance of her purposeful expression.

Regards,

Bob

Aug 03, 2013 at 04:17 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · BW Candid

Beautiful girl and some nice variations suggested for pp. somehow the angle at which the photo was taken is not showing her off as well as one might like, but then it was a candid shot and if she knew you were taking it you might have lost that angelic, dreamy quality. She would be a great subject to shoot formal portraits of.

Aug 04, 2013 at 06:08 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · BW Candid

Karen, can you explain what you I'd? Looks good

Almass and gadip, thx for sharing you reworks

Kent, an interesting direction I would never even visualized. I like it

Bob, I think your crops and reworks succeed the best
And a nice reminder hat the warmth of color suits her

Scott

Aug 05, 2013 at 07:51 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · BW Candid

eeneryma wrote:
Beautiful girl and some nice variations suggested for pp. somehow the angle at which the photo was taken is not showing her off as well as one might like, but then it was a candid shot and if she knew you were taking it you might have lost that angelic, dreamy quality. She would be a great subject to shoot formal portraits of.

Good points
Thx
Scott

Aug 05, 2013 at 07:52 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · BW Candid

I used the patch tool and selected skin tones from near-by areas to remove the shine, simulating a dry or powdered face. Used the clone stamp to clean the outline and spot some areas. Used the liquify filter to change some contours a little. Also gave it some rotation with a bit of reconstruction and a slight additional asymmetric vignette.

Aug 06, 2013 at 04:54 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · BW Candid

Thanks Scott.

I played with several different versions, but thought the color was a bit "antique" which is what I felt (made up story in my mind) she thought about these other women around her.

I can almost hear the woman on the right with the pearls talking about how she's such a pretty girl and someday she too will meet her man and start a family just like the rest of them. Meanwhile, the girl contemplates her aspirations beyond the perceptions of mundane.

Bob Jarman wrote:
Seems clipping out context removes relevance of her purposeful expression.
b

+1

Lots of ways (subjective choice) to de-emphasize the bg and still retain its context.
Halo aside ... nice tones on the reworks.

Aug 06, 2013 at 09:46 AM
Avelineix

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · BW Candid

Aug 06, 2013 at 10:46 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.