Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · My first thread-legged bug (pic)

Ecooper

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · My first thread-legged bug (pic)

Yesterday I grabbed my sweep net and went out into the garden to mess around and see what I could collect. After a couple of sweeps through some bushy plants I looked in the net and saw what I first thought (with my lousy vision) was a mosquito or midge because of the size and the long spindly legs. But when I looked closer I realized that it was something I had never seen before... a thread-legged bug, a type of assassin bug (family Reduviidae).

According to Wygodzinsky (1966) the wide spread of their long thin mid and hind legs is a preadaptation to life on spider webs! Apparently many species are often found on webs where they feed on either other insects that become trapped, or the spiders themselves. This pretty little specimen was only 7mm (1/4 inch) long (not counting the legs).

Cheers,
EC
More information and photos: http://wp.me/p2wM8r-vo

Olympus OM-D E-M5; Zuiko 60mm micro 4/3 macro; manual exposure (F11 @ 1/200 sec); Olympus RF-11 ring flash (TTL mode); ISO 200

P8280316 sharp by ernie.cooper, on Flickr

Aug 02, 2013 at 03:33 PM
LordV
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · My first thread-legged bug (pic)

Lovely capture- interesting find
Brian v.

Aug 03, 2013 at 01:37 AM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.