New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Lenscoat covers experience

nrferguson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lenscoat covers experience

I am considering buying Lenscoat covers for my Canon 300mm F2.8 and 500mm F4 lenses but as they are fairly expensive and reviews are a little bit iffy I would appreciate the views of those who have them. in addition a couple of reviews imply (but don't explicitly state) that for the 500mm lens the 600mm Lenscoat is a better fit. also, presumably it comes in bits (one for the hood, one for the narrow section etc with nothing over the focussing ring - and what happens over the buttons?
Niall

Aug 02, 2013 at 12:09 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lenscoat covers experience

I think you will find that they serve their purpose, and yes, I agree that they are pretty expensive. You'll get the cover in 5-6 sections and you'll have to remove the tripod foot to get all sections on. The fit should be very snug over each piece. That said, you can expect some minor shifting (a few mm at most) during lens use (putting in and removing from bag, etc.) The lens coat for my 600 did have a section to cover the focusing ring as well. Basically, the entire lens will be covered except for the tripod foot. There are cutouts for the sections with switches and buttons. Those cutouts are covered with a plastic that I found annoying because it made activating those switches and buttons more difficult.

After having bought and using a lens coat for my 600, I decided that they are not worth the $100. Sure, they do cover the lens and protect it, and the fit is generally good enough, but you can quite easily make your own for far less money. See this thread. I am making one for my 200-400 right now.

Aug 02, 2013 at 12:25 PM
Mstic
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lenscoat covers experience

thanks for the info.

Aug 02, 2013 at 06:03 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.