Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Getting a website rolling

gome1122
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Getting a website rolling

I'm 17 and I'm a big shooter and I entered various other places of work in photography this summer. So now that I have some cash for a website(after spending $900 on lenses of course ), I would like to start thinking about a business. When I was at games last year I would get asked all the time why I was there and if I was selling my work. Now I would like to say yes I have a website and give them a card. But I have a few questions. I decided that I'm going to use photoshelter and upload the photos and sell them there. Like this website(friends site). It is run almost just like I would want it to be just I would have it formatted different. I took some time trying to design my own logo based off of a different one I saw since I do some type design in my free time. I contacted the original designer to see if it was ok if I based my logo off one he did and he said there is no law against it since I did it myself and he said it's ok anyways. But I did that logo off of a first last name photography, but now I'm thinking I should actually make up a name for it. And that brings me to the URL name for the website, should I just do firstlastnamephotography.com or firstlastnamephot.com or something else? And should I open a bank account for it even thought I'm only 17? And go through all that legal stuff? I took a class on photography as a business, so I know what to do for the most part. Should I just make a facebook page to start and go with that? And I just drew my logo and fixed it up nice in post, but should I just look into a graphic designer to help with a logo? Thanks in advance.

Aug 02, 2013 at 05:06 PM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Getting a website rolling

When I was growing up in NY a long time ago (in a galaxy far away) one was not considered able to do anything legal until 18 years old.

You may need to get a parent or legal guardian involved and do all that legal stuff.

When it comes to URLs keep it short, yet memorable, and easy to type...

Aug 02, 2013 at 05:18 PM
gome1122
• • •
p.1 #3 · Getting a website rolling

Bernie wrote:
When I was growing up in NY a long time ago (in a galaxy far away) one was not considered able to do anything legal until 18 years old.

You may need to get a parent or legal guardian involved and do all that legal stuff.

When it comes to URLs keep it short, yet memorable, and easy to type...

I'm guessing that's the case. Would I be able to transfer the site ownership or account to my name later? And I have a longish last name, so should I just do my initials like LCPhoto.com or something like that?

Aug 02, 2013 at 05:29 PM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Getting a website rolling

If you Google go daddy sale you can get a URL for .99. I would get your personal name as it can be used for photography or anything else in the future. To me a personal name URL is a must have if you can get it.

Many credit unions offer free business accounts. In my area you need to get a DBA from the city and a certified copy of it. About $25.00 total. Then you can open up a bank account with xyz photography. I do business under my personal name but have a DBA with my name-photography so I can deposit checks as most people automatically include photography at the end of my name.

A DBA will also get you charged personal business tax by the city so that is another expense for having inventory or equipment. If you miss sending in the report they make up an amount and charge you. Has nothing to do with actual value of equipment as they have books to tell them value.

A bank account makes it easy to use Paypal or some other credit card service. Most likely need to be 18 for that. Sales tax ID would also be required to be legal. If you do that take it serious, they don't play around. Big fines and charges even if you make zero sales but missed a file date. If you stop doing business you need to cancel everything or be charged. Learned that the hard way several years ago.

At least get the URL to start.

Aug 02, 2013 at 05:41 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password