Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Canon RAW Video & BlackMagic $1,000 price drop

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Canon RAW Video & BlackMagic $1,000 price drop

Canon RAW Video & BlackMagic $1,000 price drop

Today, B&H and Adorama dropped $1,000 off the price of the Blackmagic Design Cinema Camera. It's now $1,995 including DaVinci Resolve Grading Software. (Original price: $2,995)

B&H Photo | Adorama

Since Magic Lantern added Continuous RAW recording to EOS 5D Mark III - basically turning it into a full frame Blackmagic cinema camera, many wondered if this could affect the price of the popular Blackmagic Design Cinema Camera with EF Mount. The huge price drop could be an attempt to stay competitive.

On the same note, the Magic Lantern team tweeted that they may have found a way to add continuous RAW recording to the Canon EOS 7D. Read here

Aug 02, 2013 at 04:46 PM
Bubble
• • •
p.1 #2 · Canon RAW Video & BlackMagic $1,000 price drop

certainly a good news. The software that comes with it is already costs $1000 so the camera itself is only $995.

Aug 02, 2013 at 05:50 PM
jimmy462
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Canon RAW Video & BlackMagic $1,000 price drop

Thanks for the heads-up, Fred, good news for the early adopters. The beyond-HD toolset continues to mature and it's nice to see some wild-card players in the game like RED and BlackMagic pushing things along. It'll be interesting to see how the Sony, Canon, Panasonic, JVC, Nikon, um, "establishment" addresses this emerging market segment, and these wild-card players staking out early territory, over the next few years.

It's been clear that there is a pent-up demand for low-cost/high-quality-output devices that hasn't yet been successfully tapped. And I'm not just talking about the indie filmmaker market segment, it seems to me that the local-market for advertisement, weddings/events and corporate video (to name a few) will be feeding the demand, not just for HD content, but, now, UHDTV content.

Having said all that, it then seems to me that for the DSLR/video market to remain successful (read: viable) that market segment will have to deliver both 4K SOOC and some flavor of 12-bit HQ, ready-to-edit, manageable bit-rate codec output (like DNxHD or ProRes) SOOC, as well. (Sorry RAW video shooters, but the storage requirements and desktop computer transcoding time-vacuum will keep this format well within the realm of deep-pocket producer/client markets, IMHO.) The game is all about low-cost turn-around on the hardware capture/create side, and value-added post-processing and customer service on the deliverables side.

So, for folks like me, who enjoy the excess rain coming off the HD/UHD roof for their amateur imaging/documenting endeavors I say, let it pour!

Now, if only "they" would make rampable 120fps (or even 240fps) part of the, er, standards I'll be grinning that much wider! When Canon can deliver a DSLR that can let me do this...

HOOK… + Genessee on Vimeo:
http://vimeo.com/50776268

...I'm in.
Jimmy G

Aug 03, 2013 at 02:05 PM
BostonGreg
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Canon RAW Video & BlackMagic $1,000 price drop

Had a chance to try out the BlackMagic Camera at WPPI and it was absolutely incredible. As a studio specializing in only Wedding Photography, $3k was a lot to spend. At a $2k price point including DaVinci I'm seriously considering pulling the trigger on a kit. As always, thanks for keeping us all up on the lastest deals Fred!

Aug 07, 2013 at 07:00 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Dave_EP
• • •
p.1 #5 · Canon RAW Video & BlackMagic $1,000 price drop

It's starting to get to a price where it's almost a no brainer for a small production house. Hmmmm......

Aug 07, 2013 at 08:58 AM
Kolor-Pikker
• •
p.1 #6 · Canon RAW Video & BlackMagic $1,000 price drop

Regarding the BMC, you have to take note of it's quirks before pulling trigger, while the new pocket and 4K cameras have fixed many of the issues. Like the fact that it has a built-in, non-removable battery, better hope you don't run out of charge!

You should watch/read the Philip Bloom review of the BMC first.

Aug 07, 2013 at 12:06 PM
Dave_EP
• • •
p.1 #7 · Canon RAW Video & BlackMagic $1,000 price drop

Kolor-Pikker wrote:
Regarding the BMC, you have to take note of it's quirks before pulling trigger, while the new pocket and 4K cameras have fixed many of the issues. Like the fact that it has a built-in, non-removable battery, better hope you don't run out of charge!

You should watch/read the Philip Bloom review of the BMC first.

Thanks. I'm well aware of the Philip Bloom review having watched it the day it came out and at least once or twice since then.

Any tool is a compromise Yes, I'd like the 4K version, but it isn't even shipping yet

Aug 07, 2013 at 09:23 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password