New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Color reproduction of current nikons

Picture This!
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Color reproduction of current nikons

thank you all. I'll try the ACR with the camera standard setting and see if that helps.

Aug 05, 2013 at 10:08 PM
m.sommers00
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Color reproduction of current nikons

Colours for me have been pretty good when using the Faststone Viewer when checking raws. But when I bring them into lightroom, I notice colours tend to get washed out and inaccurate. Its disappointing how much work it can take to get LR to look like FS. Worse yet, the changes that LR does are not all consistent (to my eyes) so I can't auto correct on import. Such is life.

Aug 05, 2013 at 10:18 PM
myam203
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Color reproduction of current nikons

Faststone gives you a preview of the JPEG embedded in the raw file, so unfortunately, you can only get that exact result by shooting JPEGs or using Capture NX.

Aug 05, 2013 at 10:57 PM
zippy_monster
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Color reproduction of current nikons

I've found (at least with LR4) the camera specific profiles (Camera Standard, Camera Portrait, Camera Vivid, Camera Landscape) do a good job of emulating the Nikon color profiles.

Aug 05, 2013 at 11:09 PM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Color reproduction of current nikons

Manu, You are not going anywhere with this I believe the issue you see is real and since color is very subjective topic, each people have different standard, tolerance and sensitivity on this topic. you will not get satisfied answer whatsoever. at least based on reply so far including mine.

One thing you can/should try is using color checker and profile your camera to get neutral(hopefully) starting point and tweak the file for portrait or landscape and save those profile as well. I am going to do that with my 6D next.

As I mentioned earlier, for landscape cityscape, most likely, you were not as sensitive to color as portrait.(you will tweak color anyway to suit your subject) Skin tone is a hard test for digital sensor as it is involving color separation, Tonality, luminous changing of color response, raw engine etc... There is no recipe for good skin tone, but we human are extreme sensitive to nuance of hue, saturation, luminous, tonality changing here, thus usually very hard to tweak if you have sensitive eyes

A good sensor usually requires only correct WB and adjust exposure/midtone, and you are 90% there. others will be difficult, even with profile, as response at difference lighting and color intensity changing will alter the color perception. I heard good thing about Sony A900, A99. and D700 could be the best color Nikon body.

I personally don't feel canon is better.(actually a lot worse than D700 I have) your 5DIII might be different than my 6D. but even Canon's file with good skin tone usually at the expense of whitening/mute other color and make color lifeless. at least from most online pics I saw. This is just general feeling I have. And We all know good photographers with strong PP skill will always make it work no matter is Nikon, Canon, Sony, Pentax etc..

Aug 06, 2013 at 04:14 PM
riverman68

p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Color reproduction of current nikons

zhangyue wrote:
Manu, You are not going anywhere with this I believe the issue you see is real and since color is very subjective topic, each people have different standard, tolerance and sensitivity on this topic. you will not get satisfied answer whatsoever. at least based on reply so far including mine.

One thing you can/should try is using color checker and profile your camera to get neutral(hopefully) starting point and tweak the file for portrait or landscape and save those profile as well. I am going to do that with my 6D next.

As I mentioned earlier, for landscape cityscape, most
...Show more
+1

Aug 07, 2013 at 03:23 AM
JulianDeLaRosa
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Color reproduction of current nikons

Picture This! wrote:
So I started with a D90, later moved to a D700 (my favorite camera) and have been shooting the D800e for over a year. I love the detail, handling and most things about the D800e, except the out-of-box colors. I know colors are a personal preference but the colors from the D700/D90 were much much better to my eyes out of the box. With the D800e, there is a green/yellow cast in the pics (yes not the LCD tint but in the pics) and I really have to futz with the colors to get it to my liking and
...Show more
That's odd. I also have a D4, D3s, and D600. All of the images sooc have been fine. I do use the Neutral pic style.

Aug 07, 2013 at 11:33 AM
JulianDeLaRosa
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Color reproduction of current nikons

zhangyue wrote:

As I mentioned earlier, for landscape cityscape, most
...Show more
Agreed. I also use a Passport Color Checker as well.

Aug 07, 2013 at 11:36 AM
Picture This!
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Color reproduction of current nikons

thanks everyone.

Michael, yes I plan on getting a passport color checker.

Aug 07, 2013 at 01:24 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.