Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Flash football at night? Any other fall suggestions?

jspytek
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Flash football at night? Any other fall suggestions?

Had a discussion with some fellow sports photographers and they told me to use a flash on the ground to project up and get better shots during night football games. I hadn't heard of this technique before. That got me to thinking A) does anyone else use this method? B) What little trick do you have to get better pictures when shooting fall football?

Aug 02, 2013 at 03:09 AM
gome1122
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Flash football at night? Any other fall suggestions?

While I don't actually do this, I know of quite a few people that have made a custom bracket on their monopod to hold flashes. It works quite well, but there is a distance limit to the shots.

Aug 02, 2013 at 03:31 AM
Carl Auer
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Flash football at night? Any other fall suggestions?

mount to monopod about 18-24" below camera. A flash bracket can help. I use a super clamp and a flash/umbrella mount.

Aug 02, 2013 at 04:47 AM
Monkey Falls
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Flash football at night? Any other fall suggestions?

I use a super clamp and a giottos mini-ballhead (This) with either a ttl cord or just a flash sync cord. The cord I choose depends on whether I also put another flash in the hotshoe.

Aug 02, 2013 at 08:00 AM
jspytek
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Flash football at night? Any other fall suggestions?

Intersting. Do you guys shoot full flash? And what lens length? Nobody around here does this, so I have to check and see that it doesn't spook the refs.

Aug 02, 2013 at 09:27 PM
mfreardon
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Flash football at night? Any other fall suggestions?

Monkey Falls wrote:
I use a super clamp and a giottos mini-ballhead (This) with either a ttl cord or just a flash sync cord. The cord I choose depends on whether I also put another flash in the hotshoe.

I use superclamp + mini-ballhead + this:

http://www.amazon.com/Zeikos-ZE-OCSCC-Camera-Canon-Flash/dp/B0029LHXM6

My cord has the same part number as the one at Amazon. My cord is 2' coiled but stretches to more than 4'.

Mike

Aug 02, 2013 at 09:34 PM
Beau Arnold
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Flash football at night? Any other fall suggestions?

jspytek wrote:
Intersting. Do you guys shoot full flash? And what lens length? Nobody around here does this, so I have to check and see that it doesn't spook the refs.

how is the ambient at your field or fields? give us a point of reference. hs football mostly with a 70-200 or a 120-300. Yeah it's sorta old school with the new higher iso bodies and lr.

Aug 02, 2013 at 09:50 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ccnwashdc

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Flash football at night? Any other fall suggestions?

For high school football after the sun sets, I use a Canon Mark IV, 400mm 2.8 with my flash mounted on the monopod 18 inches below the camera. This below the camera set up is popular with MaxPreps photographers -- lessens red-eye.

More detail at this Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/133262247795/doc/10150407475442796/

Aug 02, 2013 at 10:35 PM
jspytek
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Flash football at night? Any other fall suggestions?

Do you use full flash mode?

I have a new multi million dollar turf field and an archaic 1970's lit field on schedule for the fall. So, I'll be running the gamut. I'll be shooting a 120-300. But with ccnwashdc saying he's using a 400mm and a flash seems I should be fine. Roughly how far out are the players when you flash? And I'm assuming this limits you to only 1-2 shots during a play.

Aug 02, 2013 at 11:48 PM
Monkey Falls
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Flash football at night? Any other fall suggestions?

My usual setup includes the flash in the hotshoe in ttl mode and the flash on the monopod at 1/2 power to improve recycle time. I also have external battery packs attached to each flash to improve recycle time. I do only get 1-2 shots per play, so anticipating the action is critical. Because I try to get pictures of everyone, I often miss the "big plays" because I focus on one player for a couple of plays, then another player for a few plays, and so on. It's the only way that I've been successful at capturing most of the defensive players. I use my 300mm lens as my primary and have a second body with a 70-200 or 24-105 with flash in the hotshoe for endzone pictures. The light in the endzones even at fields with "good" lighting is usually abysmal.

Aug 03, 2013 at 11:37 AM
Fish On
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Flash football at night? Any other fall suggestions?

Here is my take on flashing hs football. These are threads from last year. It explains my setup and the settings and also with some samples. Hope they help you.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1143560/0#10912240

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1146917/0#10945515

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1164970/0#11116654

Aug 03, 2013 at 02:28 PM
jspytek
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Flash football at night? Any other fall suggestions?

thanks guys. Can't wait to try these ideas this fall!

Aug 03, 2013 at 10:17 PM
sivrajbm
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Flash football at night? Any other fall suggestions?

Jerry knows Football Photography...

Aug 06, 2013 at 10:07 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password