New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Selling photos.

surfnron
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Selling photos.

I know there are a lot of variables, and getting a specific answer here is hard, but here goes anyway...

Well, it's finally happened. Someone asked to buy some of my photos. They want to use them on their website, and I have no idea what to charge, nor do I have any idea what I should put in a contract for use of my photos. I'm thinking they want non-exclusive use for their website only.

I replied asking for what they wanted, but the person may not even know what to ask for.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Since the shots are of wildlife, I also posted this in N&W where I normally hang out.

Thanx,
Ron

Aug 01, 2013 at 09:15 PM
sorpa
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Selling photos.

Register with Alamy and/or Getty and use their calculators to have an idea.
How unique are those pictures?
RF or RM?

Aug 03, 2013 at 07:51 AM
cwebster
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Selling photos.

There are several license fee calculators that will give you prices, but it's no good if the buyer has no budget. Find out what their budget is first, then decide if you want to license the rights to use your photo for that price.

I also suggest you read John Harrington's book "Best Business Practices for Photography" to learn more about licensing and contracts.

Stock Photo Price Calculator

D-65 Photographers Resource

Cradoc Software FotoQuote Demo

<Chas>

Aug 03, 2013 at 11:24 AM
jforkner
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Selling photos.

First, I’m no authority on the business of photography. However, I have sold a few of my photos in the past few years for a variety of uses, including websites, magazines, corporate reports, etc. And in that regard, I’ve wondered the same thing...how much do I charge.

In the beginning, as a budding photographer wanting to get my pictures “out there,” I gave my images away in exchange for a credit by-line. I later charged a small ($25 - $50) fee for a right-to-use an image on a website, for instance. I live in a small rural community and the budgets for images are extremely small and the demand is very low.

I think that a lot of folks don’t take into account what the market will bear when deciding what to charge for artwork, in general, and photographs in particular. For instance, a photo that might be worth a few hundred dollars in a large metropolitan city, will be worth less than $100 in my neck-of-the woods. For me to ask more than that would result in a no-sale. And while I like to think some of my pictures are worthy of such a price, the market here does not bear that out. Photography is a hobby for me, not an occupation. Therefore, crediting a photo with my name is usually reward enough. Yeah, I’d like to make a few hundred bucks from one of my photos, but I’m realistic enough to know that’s not likely to happen.

Jack

Aug 07, 2013 at 09:36 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Selling photos.

Thanx all for the replies. I emailed the person, and never heard back. So it may have fallen through without ever getting to a price ~ Ron

Aug 07, 2013 at 07:04 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.