Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · A little help with what gear to take to traing camp please.

surfnron
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A little help with what gear to take to traing camp please.

I'm hoping to get to the Redskins training camp next week, and would like some advice as to lenses and bodies. I shoot Canon, but the answers should help anyone in my situation.

As a wildlife shooter, I have some long glass as well as shorter glass and would like suggestions as to what to take. There have been over 6000 fans some days, so I'm trying to keep gear to a minimum, and I may only get one day to shoot this year. I do have a backpack that will hold everything, but would prefer to carry the long lens on the body, and put anything else in a small backpack.

Here's what I have:

1D4, (1.3 crop), and 7D, (1.6 crop), for bodies.

For lenses, I have the following:
500 f4
400 f5.6
70-200 f2.8
24-105 f2.8

Tripod with gimbal head
monopod

I'm thinking of taking the following:
1D4
70-200
24-105
monopod

The Redskins suggest bringing a chair too...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx,
Ron

Edited on Aug 02, 2013 at 10:43 AM · View previous versions

Aug 02, 2013 at 12:52 AM
Carl Auer
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A little help with what gear to take to traing camp please.

gear specific talk should go into the Canon board.
Be aware, there will be a lot of people where you are and the media will have more access away from crowds. I know here in Denver and when I was in Seattle, there are times that they will ask that no photos be taken.
And your 1D4 is APS-H, not full frame.

Aug 02, 2013 at 04:51 AM
Monkey Falls
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A little help with what gear to take to traing camp please.

Personally, I would leave the 500 at home. Take both bodies and the 400, 70-200, 24-105 and the monopod. You could even leave the monopod at home since those lenses are light enough to hand hold all day.

Aug 02, 2013 at 07:54 AM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A little help with what gear to take to traing camp please.

Ron….from another point of view. My saying goes….I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. If you are flying…..this may not apply but if you are driving you can have the best of both worlds and whatever isn't being used…can be left in the trunk of the vehicle.

I've gone on shoots before and often said I wish I brought this or that. After hearing myself repeat this enough times….I finally adapted what I mentioned above.

Normally I keep my gear in a Think Tank Airport Security roller case and I also have a vest or a Think Tank modular belt. The Roller case stays in the trunk and I'll either use the vest or bely with whatever lenses I think I'll need. If I think I need something else….it is usually a 5 minute walk to my car and problem solved.

Hope this helps.

Aug 02, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A little help with what gear to take to traing camp please.

Carl Auer wrote:
gear specific talk should go into the Canon board.
Be aware, there will be a lot of people where you are and the media will have more access away from crowds. I know here in Denver and when I was in Seattle, there are times that they will ask that no photos be taken.
And your 1D4 is APS-H, not full frame.

Sorry Carl. I thought I was keeping this as generic as possible by listing the crop factors as well as the body. And I do know that the 1D4 is a crop body - guess I'm still dreaming of the 1DX... ~ Ron

Aug 02, 2013 at 11:52 PM
CW100
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A little help with what gear to take to traing camp please.

surfnron wrote:
I'm hoping to get to the Redskins training camp next week, and would like some advice as to lenses and bodies.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx,
Ron

there are several threads on photography at the Redskins training camp here :http://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=7978d42505655317ad448ca09214155b&f=30

looks like there is good sideline access to the field, - lots of tight pics with just a 70-200
And you can get an RG3 autograph!

Aug 04, 2013 at 11:18 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A little help with what gear to take to traing camp please.

Thanx all for the replies.

CW - thanx for the link. I corresponded with someone on POTN, and she was very helpful.

Ron

Aug 09, 2013 at 11:04 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password