New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Nikon V1 or 2 vs Nikon Coolpix A

kinconorb
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon V1 or 2 vs Nikon Coolpix A

Any opinions on the subject. I really like the design of the A, but the older version of the V1 is pretty cheap plus there are interchangeable lens going that route. With that said, while we're on the subject does anyone have photos taken with the 6.7-13mm lens.

I currently have a D700 but would like something smaller to take along places.

Aug 01, 2013 at 07:30 PM
DTOB
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon V1 or 2 vs Nikon Coolpix A

x100s.

Sorry, I've used neither of the cameras you're asking about.

Aug 01, 2013 at 08:42 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon V1 or 2 vs Nikon Coolpix A

I've got the Ricoh GR which is pretty similar to the A and also recently got a V1. (also own a RX1 and RX100 and recently sold a X100, and returned a Pen EP5)

They are really a bit different so its hard to compare. The A is going to have better IQ due to its larger APS-C sensor, and it fits into a pocket.

The V1 though has a surprisingly good EVF though and darn exceptional AF. If you buy one with the 10mm f2.8 lens you have a 28mm equiv camera with a VF for $300 or less, vs $1100 for the A, which also gives you a 28mm camera, with no EVF, but a larger sensor.

The A/GR takes technically better photos of course. Much high rez, cleaner high iso etc. However, at least my GR, can miss focus sometimes.

My V1 really doesn't miss focus, ever.

There are some pretty cool lenses for the V1 as well, I just bought the 6.7-13mm and its really sharp, super compact and the VR system works great.

I also got the 18.5mm f1.8 which also is really nice for a 50 equiv. Not a ton of subject isolation with it, but the speed lets you shoot in lower light levels at reasonable ISO's and the bokeh it does have is pretty pleasing, but no cream machine.

I do enjoy having a a high quality APS-C camera that truly fits into my pocket though with the GR. That is something my RX1, V1, my EP5, nor my X100 could do, so that is a unique feature that alone may make or break the choice.

More I'm shooting with the V1 the more I'm enjoying it though. I bought the FT1 and was playing around with my 200-400 f4 today, With the 2.7x crop factor its got some crazy reach the but the AF and VR both work great. I think the V1 will be worth it just for the fun of that alone, not to mention the 60 fps it can do at full rez.

Overall I don't know if I could really say one is better than the other, but I really enjoy the V1, and at the current prices its almost a non-issue to try one out.

Nikon A, or GR, or X100 or X2 et al are all nice cameras but I'm grabbing the V1 more and more because it just works so well. It responds like my D3s minus the high ISO, but its otherwise so fast to focus and always ready to shoot.

Aug 02, 2013 at 12:07 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.