New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Adorama Strike Count

MikeW
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Adorama Strike Count

I've tried buying 2 different items from Adorama, pay them & then get an email saying they are out of stock. I have always used BH as they work well with purolator for customs clearance etc. But Adorama has started doing the same thing with Fedex & comes in cheaper than BH. But they never have it instock!

Why can't they have a "instock" or "out of stock" status on items, so annoying. So ended up spending more buying from a canadian reseller, better I guess aye

Aug 01, 2013 at 06:51 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Adorama Strike Count

[email protected] You can also PM her directly from this site. Simply do a search on her name and that will pull up her profile and you can PM here from there.

Aug 01, 2013 at 07:38 PM
Jefferson
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Adorama Strike Count

anthonysemone wrote:
[email protected] You can also PM her directly from this site. Simply do a search on her name and that will pull up her profile and you can PM here from there.

#1... Go get a cold one and relax...

#2... What anthonysemone said...

Aug 01, 2013 at 07:55 PM
RJKphoto
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Adorama Strike Count

I really would love to see Adorama institute a system similar to B&H and other online retailer's real time(ish) inventory status...

Aug 01, 2013 at 08:16 PM
Helen Oster
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Adorama Strike Count

Hi Mike

Firstly, I want to say how sorry I am that you have been inconvenienced by lack of up-to-date stock availability information; I agree with you 100% that it would be great if we could show immediate stock updates and apologize for the frustration that this has caused.

Unfortunately the most common reason for this happening is when an item is unexpectedly popular and the number of orders we receive simply outpace our website’s inventory update system. Adorama Camera is built on customer satisfaction and we do try very hard to avoid situations that cause disappointment.

I wanted to take some time to explain in more detail why an item you would like to order may not be available to ship the same day. We are always sorry when customers are inconvenienced because our website does not update in real time and therefore cannot always state that items selected by a customer are on backorder.

In-stock/out-of stock is also subject to a number of variables:

• an item can be ‘in-stock’ at the time of a customer entering the order details, but as we sell across a number of portals and via several affiliate channels such as BizRate, shopping.com, Amazon and buy.com, plus via our own website, the 'phones, ebay and in store, several other customers could have placed orders for the same product moments earlier and depleted our stock.

It isn't immediately obvious to our stock-keeping system which customer is going to be disappointed. This is compounded because we do not ever make a charge until an item has actually shipped.

• it can be in-stock but not yet available for shipping since it has not yet cleared receiving (there is a pre-stocking process that happens before goods hit the shelves), but an out-of-stock email will be generated by the automated system.

• it can be en route from the manufacturer – and literally expected within the next day or two.

• it can be out-of-stock but on order from the manufacturer.

There are many other possibilities which mean that ‘out-of-stock’ doesn’t really describe all of the possible scenarios. We understand that timing is often critical and want to ensure that our customers are aware of any possible delays; therefore, if an order which enters our system before 8:00pm ET includes an item which isn’t available to ship the same day, we will notify customers by email on the first business day following receipt of the order.

Had this project with Alexander Interactive come to fruition in summer 2011 as we were promised
http://www.prweb.com/releases/prweb2012/9/prweb9875018.htm

we would by now have a much better stock-keeping situation. We are still committed to doing this, but as we are actually a family business, it is going to take us a lot longer than we'd ever dreamed it would.

All that being said, unless there are unusual supply chain shortages about which the manufacturers have not kept us up-to-date, it is unusual for out-of-stock items not to appear back into our inventory within 10 days of a customer placing a back-order.
In addition, if there is an urgent requirement it may be possible to arrange drop-shipping directly to you.
We are continuing to work towards a solution to improve the response time of our inventory updates, and hope that you will continue to enjoy purchasing from Adorama.

Finally, if you are able to advise me which items it was that you ordered it would be helpful so we can look in detail on a case-by-case basis in an effort to improve the system.

Please accept my apologies for the disappointment caused, and I look forward to hearing from you: [email protected]

Best wishes

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

Aug 02, 2013 at 12:58 AM
MikeW
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Adorama Strike Count

I was chasing the sigma 35 & tokina 16-28. Instock at many places so I can't see it being a supply issue, or high in demand items. I have purchased elsewhere, it is just frustrating that you make the purchase, pay by paypal account (easiest way for me in Canada) and then wait a day to find out it isn't instock. Especially when you are wanting it by a certain date. Waiting for it wasn't an option.

Thanks for an insight to why you don't provide a stock status, maybe one day I'll try again.

Aug 02, 2013 at 10:28 PM
Sarsfield
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Adorama Strike Count

Despite Helen's lengthy explanation (excuse), I will never use Adorama for major purchases due to this very fact - they LIE about in-stock situations to get the sale and then notify you the item is on backorder with the hope that you'll wait until they get it in. I don't buy the supposed difficulty in getting a real-time inventory system in place at Adorama. There are a LOT of much smaller companies that have the system and you don't have to deal with the frustration. I think it's great that Helen is here to help with issues but please don't blow smoke up our skirts.

Aug 02, 2013 at 10:42 PM
DanBrown
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Adorama Strike Count

Sarsfield wrote:
There are a LOT of much smaller companies that have the system and you don't have to deal with the frustration.

I could be convinced that the larger the company, the harder it is to implement a real time inventory system. Plus, if you read the link that Helen provided, although it doesn't say so specifically, Adorama appears to have taken a large financial hit in their previous attempt. If so, that's not an excuse but it can certainly affect the planning for a system in the future.

Aug 03, 2013 at 09:08 AM
Helen Oster
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Adorama Strike Count

Sarsfield wrote:
Despite Helen's lengthy explanation (excuse), I will never use Adorama for major purchases due to this very fact - they LIE about in-stock situations .......

Would it be possible for you to forward details of web pages where an item has actually been listed as 'in stock' but it has not been? [email protected]
I can then alert the web team.

Thank you

Helen Oster

Aug 03, 2013 at 11:58 PM
mfreardon
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Adorama Strike Count

DanBrown wrote:
I could be convinced that the larger the company, the harder it is to implement a real time inventory system. Plus, if you read the link that Helen provided, although it doesn't say so specifically, Adorama appears to have taken a large financial hit in their previous attempt. If so, that's not an excuse but it can certainly affect the planning for a system in the future.

First the disclaimer - I'm not advocating for Adorama (or any other store). I'm simply attempting to demonstrate the complexity of order processing and warehouse management computer systems.

At my day job, I have been part of teams that have installed order processing, warehouse management, and financial computer systems. The larger the company and the more varied the sales methods, the more difficult it is to tell a customer if a particular product is in stock. At one extreme, consider a store with a single employee who only sells only to customers who are physically present. This situation is extremely easy to manage; if the salesperson and the prospective customer can see and touch the item, it is available for purchase. All of the other customers who want that item must wait for the salesperson's attention. The first person to tell the salesperson that he/she wants the item is the one who can buy it.

The other extreme is a large operation that attempts to stock a lot of SKUs (even the ones that don't sell very often) and takes orders through a lot of different channels. Consider a product where, at the beginning of the day, one unit is in stock. Orders can be taken through the internet, from customers who are physically present, via fax, over the phone, etc. If someone in the store is testing the item before purchase, that item is still theoretically available for internet purchase. If I purchase the item over the internet, and shortly thereafter the salesperson in the store sells it to the in-store customer, the item is no longer available to fill my order. It was available when I ordered it, but now it is not available to ship. If a product is selling well, the effect may be magnified since people may be purchasing the item via internet, phone, fax, in-store, etc. all at the same time. This example is just one of the many ways that the computer system can tell you that the product is in-stock but it is not available for a particular order.

Again, I'm not trying to make excuses for anyone, I'm just attempting to shed some light on the complexities of the computer systems and physical availability of product.

Aug 04, 2013 at 12:27 PM
Helen Oster
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Adorama Strike Count

You described exactly the problem! If we have 10 units & get 11 orders in a very short space of time from all our channels, one order cannot be fulfiled

Aug 04, 2013 at 12:31 PM
kzoockof
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Adorama Strike Count

I tried to buy a Canon 5D Mark III from the Canon USA site just this week. I put the "refurbished" Canon 5D Mark III into my "cart" and immediately went to check out. Had to enter all the necessary information for checking out (about 90 seconds), clicked the complete the order and the screen popped up that the item was no longer "in stock".

Granted, this was one individual piece offered country-wide (+). But I am quite sure this was not an effort by Canon to mislead me.

I do not believe I have ordered from Adorama, but I have from B&H as well as other sites. I have had this happen to me . . . it is disappointing yes . . . intentional? I suspect in most cases for legitimate sites (ie. manufacturer authorized sells, like Adorama with regard to Canon), I suspect it is not intentional.

But darn, those New York stores can be rude, gruff, abrupt in my midwestern eyes.

Sep 18, 2013 at 03:27 PM
aboudd
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Adorama Strike Count

I have ordered from both Adorama and B&H for the past thirteen years or so, they are both legitimate companies, very upfront in their dealings, have strong customer service departments (here B&H has the edge) and to say either of them would "lie" to get the sale is patently unfair. It is very difficult to have real time inventory with worldwide sales, and I have experienced the same "out of stock" situation form other non-photographic large retailers as well.

So, let's give these companies a break, they are trying hard and for the most part succeed in getting us gear without order confirmation phone calls to upsell items you don't need and without added costs for so-called shipping insurance, without hiding the fact that the gear you are buying is grey market. With Adorama and B&H you always know what you are getting and get what you pay for.

Aboud Dweck
Arlington, VA

Sep 21, 2013 at 12:24 PM
Helen Oster
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Adorama Strike Count

kzoockof wrote:
But darn, those New York stores can be rude, gruff, abrupt in my midwestern eyes.

I'm truly sorry to read that this has been your experience; I would be grateful if you could please email me: [email protected] with additional details of any time that you feel you were need treated with respect care and professionalism by any Adorama Camera representative, and I will be glad to give this my immediate attention.

Helen Oster

Sep 22, 2013 at 10:02 AM
henryp
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Adorama Strike Count

mfreardon wrote:
The other extreme is a large operation that attempts to stock a lot of SKUs (even the ones that don't sell very often) and takes orders through a lot of different channels. Consider a product where, at the beginning of the day, one unit is in stock. Orders can be taken through the internet, from customers who are physically present, via fax, over the phone, etc. If someone in the store is testing the item before purchase, that item is still theoretically available for internet purchase. If I purchase the item over the internet, and shortly thereafter the salesperson in
...Show more

Really well written. Thank you.

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Oct 01, 2013 at 02:30 PM
henryp
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Adorama Strike Count

kzoockof wrote:

New Yorkers Aren't Rude. You Are. :-)

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Oct 01, 2013 at 02:33 PM
Helen Oster
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Adorama Strike Count

henryp wrote:
Really well written. Thank you.

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

+1

Oct 01, 2013 at 02:33 PM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Adorama Strike Count

Thank you H & H for being here on FM!

Oct 01, 2013 at 10:21 PM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Adorama Strike Count

henryp wrote:
New Yorkers Aren't Rude. You Are. :-)

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Henry, I recognize valid points in that article; but they don't apply to what kzoockof was referring to, which involves the attitude I've often encountered (not specifically at B&H or Adorama, but I have encountered it there too) on the phone. In that scenario, the person is already at work, not in transit. It's that in-your-face, hurry up, don't waste my time, you don't know much of anything east coast vibe that he meant.

Oct 02, 2013 at 08:53 AM
MitchSC
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Adorama Strike Count

I just want to say that I have been doing business with Adoroma for over ten years. I have bought several cameras and lenses without any problems . I’ve always been happy with sales staff’s knowledge and friendliness. I have often been amazed with the shipping (normally 3-4 days). The only difficulty I ever encountered was when I purchased a back ordered Cannon 500D close up lens right after the Tsunami which took 6 months to get. But the sales person told me when purchasing that they had no time frame as to when the item would be in stock. Each month they sent me an e-mail asking if I wanted to continue with the order. So you always have the option of canceling the order as they don’t charge until it is shipped. Personally I give them

Oct 21, 2013 at 11:47 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.