WA Rules ยท Current entries

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2004 · #128: Destined to Inherit the Earth

Melor
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · #128: Destined to Inherit the Earth

Destined to inherit the Earth...

... at least the ones that stay off the tracks.

Paul

Larger version and exposure information HERE.

Aug 22, 2004 at 12:00 AM
Sheila
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · #128: Destined to Inherit the Earth

Nice one, Paul. Brought a smile to me!

Cheers
Sheila

Aug 22, 2004 at 01:33 AM
Gateboy
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · #128: Destined to Inherit the Earth

Awesome entry Fits the theme to a T

Aug 22, 2004 at 03:59 AM
ray1
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · #128: Destined to Inherit the Earth

great dof....and tag line....nice one....

Aug 22, 2004 at 06:06 AM
Andorian
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · #128: Destined to Inherit the Earth

Great how did you get that DOF with the EF17-40/f4.0.
Did you blurred that in PS, or did you changed the laws of physics!
Anyway good shot again.
Andor.

Aug 22, 2004 at 07:36 AM
Melor
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · #128: Destined to Inherit the Earth

Thanks for the comments.

Andor, the pic is full frame, sharpened then resized using bicubic sharper to 1024 high. My website creates the three sizes saved there, and this is the small version so it has been resized twice. To view the "once resized" image hit my link above. The focus was indeed lucky as I didn't look through the viewfinder for this shot as I lay the camera on the track. When I looked at the pic on the LCD back, I could tell the AF nailed it. You can tell by the focus on the track that I have no front/back focus issues with that lens!

Paul

Aug 22, 2004 at 09:24 AM
Paul Kierstead
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · #128: Destined to Inherit the Earth

Great shot, Paul, and particularly suited to the theme. I love it, right along with the wildly tilted background.

Aug 22, 2004 at 09:27 AM
real25deal
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · #128: Destined to Inherit the Earth

I love it.

Good Luck,
Gary

Aug 22, 2004 at 11:19 AM
ruuskan
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · #128: Destined to Inherit the Earth

Very good... one day they'll rule the world for sure
Good DOF, I also like how you kept the bug small enough

Aug 22, 2004 at 02:35 PM
Melor
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · #128: Destined to Inherit the Earth

Thanks for the comments. I was thinking about the horizon and was chuckling about how if it is off by a degree or two it's an error, but more and it is an artistic expression. The lilt in the frame was the result of the fact that it wasn't shot with an eye on the viewfinder as I was keeping my eye out for trains.

Paul

Aug 22, 2004 at 07:18 PM
Donald Yeager
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · #128: Destined to Inherit the Earth

Nice pic. Didnt look through the view finder? I didnt know the Mark II came with some type of ESP.

Aug 22, 2004 at 09:56 PM
Melor
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · #128: Destined to Inherit the Earth

I didn't look through the viewfinder because a few minutes earlier an express ran through the station and scared the crap out of me. The kids ( and I ) were on and about the tracks and the next scheduled stop at the station was 3 hours in the future. Figured it was safe. My wife scolded us, but I assured her that this was a passenger rail line, and no train was due for hours. Besides, the light was great. SO, I am standing on the track and start to photograph a train coming in... It has to slow down... It was obvious that it wasn't going to slow down, and I was easily 200 yards away when I jumped off the tracks ( the kids were already on the platform ) I stepped back just behind the yellow line and the damn thing never did slow down. Man the suction when it went by. I never expected it to be so strong. I am a big guy and never felt like I was going to lose my footing, but a slightly built man, or a woman, or someone wearing a long coat?

So... Knowing now that there might be more trains, what needs be done? Pennies on the tracks, of course. We watched like hawks while my oldest daughter laid a half dozen down. After laying them down, she told me that there was a bug on the track that was not long for this world if a train came by. My wife mentions it qualifies for an "urban wildlife" subject, and next thing you know I am on the roadbed and I lay the camera on the track and pull the trigger. Chimping tells me the focus is at least good enough for 640 and I am on the platform again. We hang around for at least 45 more minutes. I get a handful of shots off, and time to go back to the hotel. The kids are bummed about their pennies and I tell them maybe we will come back that night or at least the next moring to pick them up.

At the hotel, I am pleased to find the focus is good enough to print, and other than the odd tilt to the frame I know I have my entry. I post to the web at the hotel after checking crop and rotations and finding I like the odd tilt on the full frame. ( hope you do too )

Next morning, we go back to the station and the kids find most of the pennies. We all had a ball and didn't get hit by a train ( which would have definately ruined our day) . The bug was off the track a few seconds after the shot was taken so he did alright too.

Paul

Aug 22, 2004 at 10:37 PM
lxdesign
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · #128: Destined to Inherit the Earth

now that is a great shot! WELL DONE!

Aug 23, 2004 at 10:14 AM
colorific
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · #128: Destined to Inherit the Earth

I loved the story that goes with it!

I think why this shot really works is that even though the horison is slanted, it doesn't matter, because it is blurred, and not part of the main subject. The subject itself, is perfectly in focus, and nicely horisontal to the viewer. Great shot, indeed! Won't be surprised if it walks off with the prize!

Aug 23, 2004 at 10:44 AM

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.