New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2013 · D800 GPS Unit

sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · D800 GPS Unit

much less Alaska. still use a map and compass as a backup. but then its more problematic getting reasonable cords.

Aug 03, 2013 at 04:13 PM
binary visions
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · D800 GPS Unit

sjms wrote:
addendum: I do stand corrected. it can use GPS but its pretty much lowest on the list. it is also the most power intensive. not a real option for constant and consistent usage. again that is why there are actual external hardware GPS units available for them

ref: http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/iphone/iphone-faq/iphone-gps-definition-assisted-gps-how-gps-works-real-time-navigation.html

Yeah, they're not particularly stellar GPS modules, and one of their primary disadvantages is the requirement that your smartphone CPU be powered up during use. More embedded modules don't have these generic, high-powered processors in them so all functions can be dedicated to GPS. When you use your phone, though, the GPS module is on - and the application that's logging GPS data is keeping your phone's CPU awake.

I agree it's not a great solution for regular usage. It's not bad, though, if your only usage is once in a while, and in areas where you're not starved for power outlets.

Aug 03, 2013 at 04:54 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · D800 GPS Unit

power outlets?

Aug 03, 2013 at 05:01 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · D800 GPS Unit

In any event, I honestly believe a Bluetooth enabled GPS receiver and a camera Bluetooth adapter is the best way to do this if you're looking for all-day, accurate geotagging. A good GPS receiver will get 20-30 hours of active time to a single battery, without hurting your camera battery life. That means a much more accurate geotag, since there's no signal re-acquisition. Many of the on-camera solutions (I don't know about the Nikon model) "wake up" with the camera metering, so if the camera has gone to sleep for a while, and you take a quick shot, the GPS won't have re-locked and you won't get a geotag.

You can take the receiver and put it somewhere out of the way (I have a little neoprene pouch I attached to my camera strap, which is convenient), so it's not using the hotshoe, there's nothing bulky hanging off the camera, no extra wires, etc. With companies like Aokatec producing reasonably priced Bluetooth camera adapters, it's not even that expensive - and the Bluetooth enabled GPS receiver can either be used for other devices (e.g. a highly accurate and battery-friendly GPS receiver for your phone or tablet), or you can upgrade just the GPS receiver if something better comes along, with the camera adapter staying the same.

Also, both Aokatec and Foolography's Bluetooth adapters have a remote release port, so even though you're using the 9-pin connector, you can still use a remote release.

edit: sjms, you don't have to sell me on that one! Virtually all of my vacations have been taken where there's no power, no cell phone reception, nothing. I don't think cell phone tagging is the right answer for the OP, just saying in general it's not terrible under the right circumstances.

Aug 03, 2013 at 05:03 PM
montym
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · D800 GPS Unit

binary visions wrote:
In any event, I honestly believe a Bluetooth enabled GPS receiver and a camera Bluetooth adapter is the best way to do this if you're looking for all-day, accurate geotagging. A good GPS receiver will get 20-30 hours of active time to a single battery, without hurting your camera battery life. That means a much more accurate geotag, since there's no signal re-acquisition. Many of the on-camera solutions (I don't know about the Nikon model) "wake up" with the camera metering, so if the camera has gone to sleep for a while, and you take a quick shot, the
...Show more

And I'm starting to agree. The Foolography units can be very small on the camera. I like that. Now if I can find one that will get here b/4 Sept 1st

Aug 03, 2013 at 05:18 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · D800 GPS Unit

I really have no real issue with the aokatec. it rated draw for the BT 2.0 unit is 10ma both fool and aok are BT2.0. use on my D4 all the time. as long as you can stomach the Fools price go for it.

my solmeta pro 2 has a RF remote release that is in the set so it does not need the thru port of the other 2.

Edited on Aug 03, 2013 at 06:24 PM · View previous versions

Aug 03, 2013 at 05:28 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · D800 GPS Unit

binary visions wrote:
In any event, I honestly believe a Bluetooth enabled GPS receiver and a camera Bluetooth adapter is the best way to do this if you're looking for all-day, accurate geotagging. A good GPS receiver will get 20-30 hours of active time to a single battery, without hurting your camera battery life. That means a much more accurate geotag, since there's no signal re-acquisition. Many of the on-camera solutions (I don't know about the Nikon model) "wake up" with the camera metering, so if the camera has gone to sleep for a while, and you take a quick shot, the
...Show more

actually I just thought at that location there is cell usage its just outside Queenstown, NZ. down the road though it goes to nil.

Aug 03, 2013 at 05:38 PM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
[X]
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · D800 GPS Unit

great post!

Aug 03, 2013 at 05:51 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · D800 GPS Unit

Fool- Unleashed 200+
~$222 + $17 for shipping to US

Aug 03, 2013 at 06:35 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · D800 GPS Unit

The unit I ordered directly from Foolography took a while to get here, but it came with a free remote release which is required to program it.

BH Photo stocks them, so you can get it quickly, I just don't know if those come with the remote release.

Aug 03, 2013 at 06:55 PM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · D800 GPS Unit

Several trips to Tanzania and Kenya with my old Aokatec AK-4NII and Holux M-1000C and never had a failure to log GPS. I do like the tether option the AK-4NII has even though it is a tight fit, I once had it come out but wassaved from losing it with the tether.

Aug 03, 2013 at 07:02 PM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
[X]
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · D800 GPS Unit

JBPhotog wrote:
Several trips to Tanzania and Kenya with my old Aokatec AK-4NII and Holux M-1000C and never had a failure to log GPS. I do like the tether option the AK-4NII has even though it is a tight fit, I once had it come out but wassaved from losing it with the tether.

Tanzania and Kenya, awesome coffees come from these magnificent areas, you are lucky, please tell me you had some fresh coffee! im looking into these suggestions as well, although, i really don't travel much out of California! xD

Aug 03, 2013 at 07:25 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · D800 GPS Unit

B&H- $250 NIS 7-14 days on delivery
looks to be a special order kind of thing.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=foolography&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

Aokatec - Direct http://www.aokatec.com/Shop.html
Ak-4NIII
Bluetooth adapter express shipped (DHL) approx. $71US

pick up the corded remote for approx. $5 more there too.

Aug 03, 2013 at 08:05 PM
Zichar
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · D800 GPS Unit

My post on smartphone GPS being independent on network access was meant to correct the assumption that it was. It's a usable device if you want to geotag, but it will come with drawbacks as above.
And I'm old fashioned that way too: gimme physical maps and a compass. Have been trapped in the Aussie Outback one too many times to know not rely on phones.

Aug 04, 2013 at 01:50 AM
OccAeon
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · D800 GPS Unit

The point of the smartphone GPS w/ gps4cam is that it is practically free ($5), very convenient, and generally sufficient, even off-network, for occasional use. I don't think that anyone is arguing that it is better than a dedicated system.

And I certainly wouldn't rely on a smartphone GPS for navigation in Alaska (or Utah or Antarctica or wherever).

For most of my pics, my opinion is that "it would be nice to have them geotagged, but if some are missed, no big deal." So the app suits my purposes.

Aug 04, 2013 at 04:49 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · D800 GPS Unit

Smartphones are the new Swiss Army Knifes. Not really good at anything but they do a lot...

Aug 04, 2013 at 07:20 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · D800 GPS Unit

yep. you can actually make a call if you have enough time and battery power after playing with it too long.

Aug 04, 2013 at 07:42 AM
montym
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · D800 GPS Unit

OccAeon wrote:
The point of the smartphone GPS w/ gps4cam is that it is practically free ($5), very convenient, and generally sufficient, even off-network, for occasional use. I don't think that anyone is arguing that it is better than a dedicated system.

And I certainly wouldn't rely on a smartphone GPS for navigation in Alaska (or Utah or Antarctica or wherever).

For most of my pics, my opinion is that "it would be nice to have them geotagged, but if some are missed, no big deal." So the app suits my purposes.

Downloading now!

Thanks

Aug 04, 2013 at 08:42 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · D800 GPS Unit

This is kind of interesting if anyone needs it.

http://www.wonderfulphotos.com/articles/cameras/gps_photos/

Aug 04, 2013 at 02:27 PM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · D800 GPS Unit

a.RodriguezPix wrote:
Tanzania and Kenya, awesome coffees come from these magnificent areas, you are lucky, please tell me you had some fresh coffee! im looking into these suggestions as well, although, i really don't travel much out of California! xD

Yes plenty of coffee and delivered to our tent right before sun up. Nothing like a fresh hot coffee sitting on the porch of a very fine tented camp listening to the wild Serengeti waking in the warm African sun. Truly an experience I will remember fondly for the rest of my life. If there is any place in the world not to pass up, it is Africa, the birthplace of humanity.

Aug 04, 2013 at 05:52 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.