Upload & Sell: On
| p.13 #9 · PanaLeica 42.5mm f/1.2 Nocticron |
So I shot a bunch after work today, and here are my impressions:
1) This lens is crazy sharp. At f/1.2, it is probably the sharpest f/1.2 lens I've ever seen. The Fuji is actually very close behind, but the Nocticron is sharper at f/1.2. By f/1.8, the thing is just razor sharp across the frame. (As a side note, the Fuji at f/1.6 is about the same sharpness as the PL is at f/1.2....so shooting for the same DOF will yield similar sharpness).
2) The most impressive thing aside from the truly outstanding sharpness is that it has truly outstanding contrast wide open. Honestly, the shots at f/1.2 look like most primes at f/4.
3) Bokeh is excellent, but you knew that already.
4) Now the downsides. It shows pronounced longitudinal CA on high contrast edges...significantly more so than the Fuji, and in line with most other very fast lenses. Shooting white text on a dark background is purple green heaven, though usually you can correct it.
5) Vignetting is pretty high at f/1.2.
Overall, it's a stellar optic, no doubt. I haven't processed much from my shoot, but here are two at f/1.2: