Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Camera Bag

D5100 Dude

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Camera Bag

In the last couple months I have aquired more gear and I have outgrown my small Nikon bag. Here is my gear list such as it is.

Nikon D5100
Tamron 70-200 F2.8
Nikon 17-55 F2.8
Nikon 18-55 Variable Kit Lens
Nikon 55-200 Variable Kit Lens
Nikon 35 F1.8
2 SB800's
1 SB400
Kodak Zi8
Sony point/shoot
A few filters etc..

The 17-55 is usually on the camera as I use that lens practically every day. I plan on adding another body at some point so I need a bag that can accomidate all this gear..

Aug 01, 2013 at 07:46 AM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Camera Bag

Please give us a little more input as to your expected uses. Do you need a roller, a backpack, something to fit in overhead bins on flights, something secure like the Pelican cases? What do you like to shoot, which venues, backcountry, boating, hiking, city, etc.

Aug 01, 2013 at 01:50 PM
howardm4
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Camera Bag

are you really planning on dragging all that around (vs. cherry picking on a per-use as-needed basis)? There is a lot of redundancy in that list. Keep it small and light when possible and you and your back will be much happier

Aug 01, 2013 at 03:43 PM
D5100 Dude

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Camera Bag

Something to fit in overhead bin, as I will be traveling to the Philippines in October for a month. And yes I know the redundancy as I got the nicer lenses after I had the kit lenses. I would just like to have something I can store all my stuff in when I travel. I don't plan on carrying it around with everything in it except when transiting through the airport. I could leave the 18-55 and 55-200 at home for the trip. But would still like to have a bag large enough to store all my gear in..

Edited on Aug 06, 2013 at 06:07 AM · View previous versions

Aug 02, 2013 at 06:04 AM
Smackeral

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Camera Bag

Billingham 445

Aug 02, 2013 at 06:57 AM
D5100 Dude

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Camera Bag

Yeow.. Nice bag.. Sadly out of my budget...

Aug 02, 2013 at 08:45 AM
pixelrandy
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Camera Bag

Hi D5100 Dude,

I've read through the thread and the second howardm4 suggested you take less gear that you'd be happier I had to agree. I understand you're looking for a bag mostly for transportation's sake, but I would still suggest considering the Buy/Sell section or KEH and dumping most of the kit glass now that you have better equipment. I always keep one kit lens around (like the Nikon 18 - 105) for times I just want to haul one zoom around to the beach or to a party as if it gets damaged I could really care less. More than that and I feel like I'm just hoarding glass and making my life more complicated.

That dovetails into traveling with that much gear. I could certainly recommend one of our bags (I work for Think Tank Photo) that would easily carry all of your gear and still fit into the overhead bin of an international flight.

I know it's a personal question, but in order for anyone here to help you I think knowing what your budget is would be helpful. Billingham is obviously way over on one end of the scale while there are likely a thousand bags under $100 that will just about do the trick. Prices vs. hype vs. quality vs. opinions vs. how you feel that day. The more you can tell us about your budget, long vs. short term needs for the bag the better we can help.

Backpack or rolling bag?

Cheers,

Randy

Aug 02, 2013 at 07:54 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Camera Bag

Bags are to photographers as purses are to women.

Aug 03, 2013 at 12:56 AM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Camera Bag

runamuck wrote:

+1

Aug 03, 2013 at 01:49 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

craig_k

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Camera Bag

in looking at a bag or backpack which currently I do not own but considered one ...(all my stuff lives in pelican cases).......during my research I found a well known maker that employs the design of its backpacks so as the opening is "body side" or against your back as a built in "security measure".....I thought now just how beneficial\cool is that.....multi4figures of equipment inside that cant be gotten to someone coming up from behind you unzipping the thing and taking what they can on the run.....plenty of pros prey on this design weakness...even when the bag is off .... you've got peace of mind the opening is resting up against you......well though out engineering design.....if I have a choice of anything out there and they all cost the same, why wouldn't I select one that has "a nice functional security feature" built in it...i'd be rather derelict to not select that.......if they all cost the same, or whatever your pricepoint is

Aug 03, 2013 at 02:50 PM
Chris Anthony
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Camera Bag

Quite a few bag manufacturers employ that design, I have a DaKine that zips in the back, it's a great bag. I'm a huge fan of Think Tank bags also, great designs and bullet proof

Aug 04, 2013 at 12:46 AM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Camera Bag

Check out the Case Logic SLRC-206... I've had it for 6 months and it's some of the best $ I ever spent. Very solid & comfortable. It has a unique hammock system for accessing your body and it also fits my XPS 15z comfortably. Here's what I fit in it:

Nikon D800
Nikon D7000
Nikon 300 AF-S
Nikon 18-55
Zeiss 21 2.8
Zeiss 50/2
Sigma 85 1.4
Sigma 35 1.4
Lee filter system + 4x6 filter pouch + CPLs, caps, batteries, remotes, etc...
SB-700

Aug 04, 2013 at 08:06 PM
Smackeral

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Camera Bag

runamuck wrote:

My stack of bags agree with you.

Aug 04, 2013 at 09:00 PM
Todd Warnke
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Camera Bag

Smackeral wrote:
My stack of bags agree with you.

My problem is that whenever I'm bored I'll start looking on the web for a new bag. I need a 12 step program!

Aug 04, 2013 at 09:08 PM
D5100 Dude

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Camera Bag

Thanks Randy and others I can leave the 18-55 and 55-200 home if need be. But they are fairly light and dont take up too much room. Plus if something happens to one of my other lenses I have a backup (so to speak). I found one of the thinktank airport series bags which I think will work just fine and it has a laptop pocket as well. I'm allready going to have a carryon bag with clothes and misc electronic stuff, and they allow a latop bag as well. I wonder if I can get away with saying its my laptop bag that doubles as a camera bag.. If worse comes to worse, I might be able to fit it inside my carryon if I absolutely have to and do it that way. I always like to take along some extra clothes in a carryon in case my checked baggage doesn't make it..

Basically I have tooo much stuff to take. Anyway thanks for all the responses, I'm gonna check out some bags in person and see what I can find..

Aug 06, 2013 at 06:43 AM
Highfive

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Camera Bag

I have to say i am very pleased with the Mindshift gear Rotation 180.
Best piece of carrying equipment i have owned, both for transporting gear on trips, and to use in the field.

Worth checking out in my opinion

Aug 07, 2013 at 09:18 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Camera Bag

I think bag manufacturers add some sort of secret chemical in their bags that makes us addicted. Once the chemical wears out we need another fix.

Aug 08, 2013 at 10:29 AM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Camera Bag

I like my Think Tank Glass Taxi. Simple, no-frills, holds a lot of gear for the size, and it's small enough that it goes underneath most airplane seats, thus meeting the airline's definition of a "personal item" and not contributing to my carry-on limit... even though it's usually heavier than my carry-on bag

Aug 08, 2013 at 12:29 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password