Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Sigma 18-35 Who Bought One?

philip_pj
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · Sigma 18-35 Who Bought One?

Partly tongue in cheek, I like that Sigma are doing a good job of late.

But think - who are they aiming this one at, when half the enthusiasts either like m4/3 or look forward to an FF NEX? And the rest have the full Nikon or Canon lines to choose from.

And a monster moderate wide angle 2:1 (27-50mm ef fl) lens at this time on APS-C, with 72mm filters, weighing 810 grams, not much less than a full size FF DSLR body.

A dollar a gram! No, not in this lifetime.

Sep 29, 2013 at 11:09 PM
mrgetalife
• •
p.2 #2 · Sigma 18-35 Who Bought One?

I honestly think they are aiming for the crowd going for something like a Metabones SpeedBooster. So you don't have to give up the autofocus speed.
And I think they have more faith in the market that APS-C is here to stay than Nikon or Canon. Considering all their top sellers are APS-C cameras.

You have to remember Sigma's always going to be second fiddle to Nikon or Canon on the highend professional scale. NPS and CPS are there to support the professionals at large events and you need to be using factory products for that support.

So they have to aim at every place nikon or canon isn't putting their full focus on.

Sep 30, 2013 at 03:26 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · Sigma 18-35 Who Bought One?

philip_pj wrote:
Very large even if very good. Why could it not have been a f2.8 and half the weight? Small zooms are a delight forever. f2.8 is the pro standard. They couldn't resist, the show-offs.

F1.8 on aps-c gives you the f2.8 equivalence on FF, so this is probably a nice option for those that don't want to go all in with the size and cost of a FF body, as well as being optically excellent.

Sep 30, 2013 at 05:10 PM
mtakako

Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · Sigma 18-35 Who Bought One?

Which mount?

RDDave wrote:
I picked one up today but I've not had a real chance to shoot anything meaningful that I can post on here. From what I have seen from todays quick walk-around it seems quite impressive. I'll have another look through the pictures and see if I have anything worth posting.

Dave

Oct 02, 2013 at 05:08 PM
Ektar25
• • •
p.2 #5 · Sigma 18-35 Who Bought One?

My Nikon mount version shipped today from B&H. I placed my order on 6/14/2013.

Oct 03, 2013 at 01:23 AM
       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password