Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Sigma 18-35 Who Bought One?

dthrog00
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sigma 18-35 Who Bought One?

The Sigma 18-35 has posted some very impressive credentials at the test sites: DXO Mark, Lens Tip, SLR Gear, and The Digital Picture have all shown it to be extremely impressive in terms of sharpness across the frame regardless of aperture used.

Also, samples posted to date have generally shown very promising results with no obvious "gotchas" like bad bokeh... The worst thing I've seen said about it is that its work against bright light could be better.

However, I'm seen very little discussion of the lens on the forums relative to the amazing reviews so far.

Why? Has the target audience all already bought full frame? Is the 18-35 range on a APS-C sensor too limiting? Is no one interested in a f/1.8 lens that has as good or better image quality than most of the autofocus primes on APS-C cameras? Is it because it is a Sigma?

The users on the alt forum here are quite a perceptive bunch. Has anyone bought the lens or tried it out? Any initial feedback?

Dave

Aug 01, 2013 at 02:34 AM
deadwolfbones
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sigma 18-35 Who Bought One?

I'm pondering grabbing one for my Pentax system, but it's only Canon that's shipping initially. I guess I'll wait.

Aug 01, 2013 at 03:56 AM
jonrock
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sigma 18-35 Who Bought One?

I have it pre-ordered though I think the real lack of discussion is mostly because they only just started shipping them. I'm pretty sure once there several of them in hands of FM forum members someone is going to start a Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 picture thread. I'm still debating on whether to cancel my preorder so feedback from other members would be helpful in deciding.

Aug 02, 2013 at 11:50 AM
mcbroomf
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sigma 18-35 Who Bought One?

There were 2 threads early on, now down on page 4 or 5, so I think everyone is just waiting for delivery.

Aug 02, 2013 at 11:57 AM
mawz
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sigma 18-35 Who Bought One?

Nice speed and price, but WAY too big and not in the right mount for this m43 shooter.

I'd be interested if I was still shooting APS-C DSLR's, but it would need to be better than the excellent Sony DT 16-50/2.8 SSM which is the lens it would have been replacing in that situation.

Aug 02, 2013 at 10:53 PM
naylor83

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sigma 18-35 Who Bought One?

Well, it seems I am one of the lucky few who have actually received a copy of this brilliant lens.

Previously I had a Canon 17-55 IS, Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 OS, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Canon 50mm f/1.4 and Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8.

I have long felt a slight disappointment with the Sigma 30mm and the Canon 50mm. Both offer great center sharpness but not so much in the border areas. So for me the 18-35mm was a great upgrade from the Sigma 30mm f/1.4. I've always felt I wanted a wider prime, and now I have just that.

I'm selling both the Sigma 30mm and the Canon 50mm since I know I will never use them now I've got the 18-35 which destroys them both in the IQ department.

Before getting the 18-35mm I thought that my 17-55mm f/2.8 IS would still be my walkaround zoom, but now I'm not so sure ... So the 18-35mm may end up replacing as many as three lenses. The jury is still out on that one.

Aug 06, 2013 at 05:50 PM
mrgetalife
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sigma 18-35 Who Bought One?

I pre-ordered myself.

I did it from B&H. I guess they got a few or none at all. The original expect date was 8/22
Now it got updated to 9/25. So not sure what that means.

Aug 22, 2013 at 05:18 PM
Ektar25
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sigma 18-35 Who Bought One?

I pre-ordered myself.

I did it from B&H. I guess they got a few or none at all. The original expect date was 8/22
Now it got updated to 9/25. So not sure what that means.

The Nikon mount was originally listed with a shipping date of late July at B&H when they first started taking pre-orders. It has been pushed back twice now. There will be lots of talk and images posted once they start getting into hands of those waiting on the lists.

Aug 22, 2013 at 05:48 PM
pliukait
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sigma 18-35 Who Bought One?

So, anyone else received their copy? How about some sample photos? Con somebody post some shots at f1.8, please?

Thanks and regards.....Pete

Aug 30, 2013 at 12:28 AM
RDDave

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sigma 18-35 Who Bought One?

I picked one up today but I've not had a real chance to shoot anything meaningful that I can post on here. From what I have seen from todays quick walk-around it seems quite impressive. I'll have another look through the pictures and see if I have anything worth posting.

Dave

Aug 31, 2013 at 04:33 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sigma 18-35 Who Bought One?

In Europe they have it in stock everywhere. And the reviews are very good. You can also find a few threads about it in the Canon forum here at FM

Aug 31, 2013 at 07:41 AM
brunobarolo
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sigma 18-35 Who Bought One?

Lars Johnsson wrote:
In Europe they have it in stock everywhere. And the reviews are very good. You can also find a few threads about it in the Canon forum here at FM

I'm quite sure Germany is a part of Europe, still I can't find the lens in stock anywhere
Edit: Sorry, I see it's available with Canon mount. Doesn't help my D7100, though.

Aug 31, 2013 at 07:48 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sigma 18-35 Who Bought One?

brunobarolo wrote:
I'm quite sure Germany is a part of Europe, still I can't find the lens in stock anywhere
Edit: Sorry, I see it's available with Canon mount. Doesn't help my D7100, though.

I'm sure you are looking with closed eyes Amazon. de from Germany have it in stock. And so do 4-5 other shops from Germany selling at Amazon. And I have not even checked all the German photo shops. The O.P. talked about the lens. And not the lens with Nikon mount

Aug 31, 2013 at 08:30 AM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sigma 18-35 Who Bought One?

brunobarolo wrote:

Sigma have not started to ship the Nikon version yet

Aug 31, 2013 at 08:58 AM
pliukait
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sigma 18-35 Who Bought One?

I got my lens yesterday, unfortunately I have nothing to attach it to. The 70D I ordered is not here yet.

First look though, my, what a nice feeling lens. Very well built, the zoom and focus move very smoothly and just the right amount of resistance.

And a whole lot lighter than the Canon 24-70mm F2.8.

I can hardly wait to try it out.

Sep 05, 2013 at 12:28 PM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sigma 18-35 Who Bought One?

pliukait wrote:
I got my lens yesterday, unfortunately I have nothing to attach it to. The 70D I ordered is not here yet.

First look though, my, what a nice feeling lens. Very well built, the zoom and focus move very smoothly and just the right amount of resistance.

And a whole lot lighter than the Canon 24-70mm F2.8.

I can hardly wait to try it out.

It's a great lens. But it actually weight more than the 24-70 f/2,8 lens that Canon is selling today.

Sep 06, 2013 at 06:42 AM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sigma 18-35 Who Bought One?

Very large even if very good. Why could it not have been a f2.8 and half the weight? Small zooms are a delight forever. f2.8 is the pro standard. They couldn't resist, the show-offs.

Sep 06, 2013 at 11:31 AM
mawz
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sigma 18-35 Who Bought One?

philip_pj wrote:
Very large even if very good. Why could it not have been a f2.8 and half the weight? Small zooms are a delight forever. f2.8 is the pro standard. They couldn't resist, the show-offs.

Because they already do a 17-50/2.8 OS? There is zero reason for an 18-35 APS-C lens to exist if it isn't faster (and optically better) than the f2.8 ones that have been available for several years (Sigma's done 3 different f2.8 normal zooms for APS-C over the years)

Sep 07, 2013 at 12:26 AM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Sigma 18-35 Who Bought One?

I think it's nice with a f/1,8 zoom lens. We already have so many f/2,8 zooms for the people that prefer those

Sep 07, 2013 at 11:40 AM
mrgetalife
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Sigma 18-35 Who Bought One?

Arghh.. not looking good. I guess that's the problem when you don't have a big factory with capacity.

Sep 29, 2013 at 05:16 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password