Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Download Photoshop Lightroom 5.2 Release Candidate

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Download Photoshop Lightroom 5.2 Release Candidate

Download Photoshop Lightroom 5.2 Release Candidate

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.2 (RC) Release Candidate is now available for download.

Windows | Mac

New Features:
  • A Smoothness adjustment slider has been added to the Detail Panel under Color Noise Reduction. This helps to reduce low-frequency color mottling artifacts
  • Refinements to the Spot Healing Tool:
  • New Feather control
  • Auto find source method now works better for images with textured areas like rocks, bark, and foliage
  • Auto find source method now prefers source areas within the crop rectangle
  • Smart Preview size has been updated to 2560 pixels on the long edge.
  • Refinements to the Local Adjustment Brush:
  • Right Click (PC) / Control-click (Mac) on a brush adjustment pin to bring up a context menu to duplicate or delete
    Control+Alt+Drag (PC) / Command+Option+Drag (Mac) on a brush adjustment pin to clone (duplicate) that adjustment

New Camera Support:
  • Canon EOS 70D (preliminary support)

Fixed Issues:
  • Catalog containing images processed with PV2003 were adding a post-crop vignette when catalog upgraded to Lightroom 5.
  • Pressing the "Reset" button while holding down the Shift key caused Lightroom to exit abruptly.
  • Output Sharpening and Noise Reduction were not applied to exported images that were resized to less than 1/3 of the original image size.
  • Incorrect photo was selected when trying to select a photo in segmented grid in Publish Services.
  • The Esc key did not exit the slideshow after right clicking screen with mouse during slideshow playing.
  • Import dialog remained blank for folders that contain PNG files with XMP sidecars.
  • Metadata panel displayed incorrect information after modifying published photo. Please note that this only occurred when metadata was changed after the photo was published.

FAQs:
Can Lightroom 5.2 Release Candidate be installed alongside Lightroom 5?
By default, the Lightroom 5.2 Release Candidate for both Windows and Mac will remove or overwrite your existing Lightroom 5 installation. If you wish to return to Lightroom 5 after installing Lightroom 5.2, simply reinstall Lightroom 5 from your original download after uninstalling Lightroom 5.2 Release Candidate.

Both versions of the application share the same catalog format allowing your catalogs to be opened by either version without complications

When will the Lightroom 5.2 release candidate expire?
The Lightroom 5.2 release candidate will expire on September 30, 2013.

Will there be an upgrade charge for the final Lightroom 5.2 release?
No, Lightroom 5.2 will be a free update for all current Lightroom 5 customers.

Will additional camera or lens support be available in the final release?
It is possible that additional cameras or lenses will be supported in the final release.

Jul 31, 2013 at 11:46 PM
roman.johnston
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Download Photoshop Lightroom 5.2 Release Candidate

Soooo let me understand this...would this be an update to 5....or a whole new product you have to purchase?

Roman

Aug 01, 2013 at 12:16 AM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Download Photoshop Lightroom 5.2 Release Candidate

What was version 5.1?

Aug 01, 2013 at 12:53 AM
secondclaw
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Download Photoshop Lightroom 5.2 Release Candidate

roman.johnston wrote:
Soooo let me understand this...would this be an update to 5....or a whole new product you have to purchase?

Roman

Free update

Will there be an upgrade charge for the final Lightroom 5.2 release?
No, Lightroom 5.2 will be a free update for all current Lightroom 5 customers.

Aug 01, 2013 at 01:08 AM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Download Photoshop Lightroom 5.2 Release Candidate

"A Smoothness adjustment slider has been added to the Detail Panel under Color Noise Reduction. This helps to reduce low-frequency color mottling artifacts."
This may be a considerable improvement in NR capability. Many other listed features will be very worthwhile.
Downloading now!
Thanks for the info and link Fred!

Aug 01, 2013 at 01:39 AM
buggz2k
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Download Photoshop Lightroom 5.2 Release Candidate

I still haven't upgraded from LR4.
Looks like CS6 and LR4 is the last Adobe products for me...

Aug 01, 2013 at 02:09 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Todd Moon

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Download Photoshop Lightroom 5.2 Release Candidate

Photon wrote:
"A Smoothness adjustment slider has been added to the Detail Panel under Color Noise Reduction. This helps to reduce low-frequency color mottling artifacts."
This may be a considerable improvement in NR capability. Many other listed features will be very worthwhile.

I played with that, and didn't notice any difference in the photo I tested it with whether I had it at 100 or 0. I just read that it has to do with low frequency noise, so maybe I should search for an example of that.

After more testing I find that low frequency color noise only appears in very high ISO speeds. Here's a 100% crop at ISO 25600 on a Canon 6D. The first image is 0 Smoothness, and the second is 100 Smoothness. The default of 50 is nearly indiscernible from 100.

I'm not sure when you would want to adjust this slider from it's default of 50. I can't recall processing any image where the old color noise reduction was insufficient or too much.

Aug 01, 2013 at 02:34 AM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Download Photoshop Lightroom 5.2 Release Candidate

Todd Moon wrote:
I played with that, and didn't notice any difference in the photo I tested it with whether I had it at 100 or 0. I just read that it has to do with low frequency noise, so maybe I should search for an example of that.

After more testing I find that low frequency color noise only appears in very high ISO speeds. Here's a 100% crop at ISO 25600 on a Canon 6D. The first image is 0 Smoothness, and the second is 100 Smoothness. The default of 50 is nearly indiscernible from 100.

I'm not sure when you would
...Show more
Todd, I have to agree so far. I don't find much use for deviating from the color NR default with recent Canon bodies. I'm wondering if the smoothing adjustment (and color NR amount, for that matter) might be more useful for images shot with older cameras. I remember seeing a lot more color blotchiness when I pushed a 1D2, for example, and maybe there could be improvement with reprocessing.

I am finding that the spot removal tool works even better than in LR 5. In a few quick trials, it seems that a feather setting in the middle helps in some situations. The default for that control is zero.

I don't think photogs will be jumping with excitement over this update, but I'll be glad I did it.

Aug 01, 2013 at 03:15 AM
Todd Moon

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Download Photoshop Lightroom 5.2 Release Candidate

Personally, I like the bug fixes. I ran into the issue where a photo exported at less than 1/3 of full size would result in noise reduction not being applied. What a silly bug!

I read about the changes to the healing brush. I used to often find that it chose a pretty ridiculous default selection for the source. Any improvement is better. It got worse in LR5 in a sense because you used to be able to click and drag to choose your own source and avoid LR selecting a default, but then they introduced the paintable cloning tool which removed the click and drag feature for simple spot healing. Don't get me wrong, I love the new paintable healing brush, but now you are forced to let LR choose a source before you get a chance to override it, and it's often comically bad at choosing it.

Aug 01, 2013 at 03:58 AM
tomrock
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Download Photoshop Lightroom 5.2 Release Candidate

Todd Moon wrote:
Personally, I like the bug fixes. I ran into the issue where a photo exported at less than 1/3 of full size would result in noise reduction not being applied. What a silly bug!

I read about the changes to the healing brush. I used to often find that it chose a pretty ridiculous default selection for the source. Any improvement is better. It got worse in LR5 in a sense because you used to be able to click and drag to choose your own source and avoid LR selecting a default, but then they introduced the paintable cloning tool
...Show more

On the Mac you hold down the Command key to drag to the source you want. I'm sure there's a key on the PC that does the same thing.

Aug 01, 2013 at 10:31 AM
Todd Moon

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Download Photoshop Lightroom 5.2 Release Candidate

tomrock wrote:
On the Mac you hold down the Command key to drag to the source you want. I'm sure there's a key on the PC that does the same thing.

And that forces it to work in spot mode? I'll have to check that out. I know you can always move the source point after it chooses it.

EDIT: Yes, it's the Ctrl key. Thanks!

Aug 01, 2013 at 05:11 PM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Download Photoshop Lightroom 5.2 Release Candidate

LR RC 5.2 seems to have introduced a new bug:
I find that after I export a file, if I have it set to show the new file in a (Mac) finder window, when I click back into Lightroom it often jumps to a previous state. For example, although I always export from the Library module, I'll find myself in the Develop module with the crop tool engaged. Other times it will stay in Library but the Keyword window is active.
I thought I might be accidentally bumping a key, but this has happened repeatedly now matter how carefully I work.

Aug 04, 2013 at 09:03 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password