Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · tight or loose for background of interest?

gschlact
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · tight or loose for background of interest?

I wantedt to see where the general opinion would lie on the following images, to see if the mantra "tighter is best" still holds when the background is of interest or is intersting for inclusion.

I shot downtown on the beach in Chicago for my daughter's soccer tourny. I could have cropped tighter but thought the background potentially enhanced the whole image. What do you think, tighter or looser as shown?

1. 8392 - Cassie

2. 8350 - Jamie

3. 8356 - Jamie

Jul 31, 2013 at 06:44 PM
xicotencatl
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · tight or loose for background of interest?

I want to see more #2 images.

Lio.

Jul 31, 2013 at 06:48 PM
Carl Auer
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · tight or loose for background of interest?

The 1st image she has a building growing out of her head.

Jul 31, 2013 at 06:55 PM
jmcaverly
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · tight or loose for background of interest?

I like the first two. I think the cityscape in the background would really add to a group of photos. If this was a tournament with teams from out of town, I am sure they would buy photos.

Jeff

Jul 31, 2013 at 08:55 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · tight or loose for background of interest?

The problem is not the city. The problem is all the clutter between subject and city. In the first shot, if all you had was your daughter and the city behind her, I'd say yeah... keep it in, but as it turns out, it doesn't work here...

... artistically.

Now, it really begs the question though... what are you trying to accomplish? Why not just focus in on your daughter, throw the technicals out the window and just shoot her with the city in the background as a memento for both you and her of the event? If that were the mantra, you need not worry about anything else. Enjoy the moment. They'll be gone before you know it.

Jul 31, 2013 at 09:13 PM
xicotencatl
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · tight or loose for background of interest?

P Alesse wrote:
The problem is not the city. The problem is all the clutter between subject and city. In the first shot, if all you had was your daughter and the city behind her, I'd say yeah...

^^ I wanted to say something like that also. ^^

Lio.

Jul 31, 2013 at 09:53 PM
gschlact
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · tight or loose for background of interest?

I hear you about the clutter.
I got only a few clean shots like #2 with the lake in the background. My goal for shooting the girls for this tours was to capture the unique atmosphere which they get to do at most once per year. These small sided fields were literally right on top of each other in four rows of three. We only got one game on field closest to the lake.

So now, weighing in on the looseness of number 3 with cleaner background versus a tighter crop... Three opinions with the following hats on (relative to crop): 1- as prospective parent buyer. 2- journalistically / normal forum hat (imagine subtitle underscoring the location) ) 3- casual viewer?? Just to be clear, Which crop makes for More interest? For those of you who commented and don't mention3, was it due to looseness, the fence, or something else but thought crop was ok?

My vote which is obvious, was looser to capture the atmosphere which I think works for all three hats (barring the clutter). Thanks for the comments.

-Guy

Aug 01, 2013 at 12:16 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password