Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Brand new Smugmug...

Jamesbjenkins
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Brand new Smugmug...

Hey all, I know many of us use mainly one of three service providers for their portfolio websites; RAWfolio, Zenfolio and Smugmug. Yesterday, Smugmug dropped a complete redesign of their whole system, not just a skin refresh.

What do you think?

Link to the blog post with info about the new Smugmug:

Jul 31, 2013 at 01:41 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Brand new Smugmug...

need to go look this weekend.
I will revamp my site using the new layouts.

can report back if it is a bonus or a pain in the buttocks.

Edited on Jul 31, 2013 at 02:48 PM · View previous versions

Jul 31, 2013 at 01:46 PM
Jamesbjenkins
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Brand new Smugmug...

I'm in the same boat. I stopped using SM for my main site about a year ago when I migrated to ProPhotoBlogs and Wordpress for the added blog functionality and customization.

However, I may well be migrating back to SM for good if I can figure out a way to integrate the blog seamlessly.

Jul 31, 2013 at 02:23 PM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Brand new Smugmug...

I've been a hardcore SmugMug user for like 4-5 years. I love it. Their new template sites are really nice, but there is a learning curve. I've spent around 5-6 hours playing with mine over the past few days after attending their release party in Mountain View, CA, and it's good. Not perfect, but good.

I frickin' LOVE the fact that I can make my galleries look like PASS. I think that's the way this industry is headed, and I dig it.

I was always fairly easily able to customize my page, but haven't really finished it yet. HTML5 for the win.

Need to do a lot more work to get it where I like it before I actually consider leaving BigFolio, but so far, I dig it.

Aug 01, 2013 at 01:09 PM
Theographics
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Brand new Smugmug...

I really like it so far, save for the fact that you can't do any real embedding of any kind (maps, contact form, etc). I talked with support and they said they just straight up don't offer it any more. Kind of a shame since I was actually starting to consider about migrating everything back over to Smugmug to have it all in one place. We'll see what fixes they work up in the coming weeks!

Aug 01, 2013 at 01:16 PM
t4haughton
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Brand new Smugmug...

I use SmugMug for my online proofing and print sales. I spent like 100 hours customizing it to match the look and feel of my website. I was very concerned that the changes would wipe that out. Luckily for now, you can still use the "legacy" look.

I'll be updating my site this off season, so I may upgrade to the newer style then.

Aug 01, 2013 at 01:20 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Brand new Smugmug...

Prettym1k3 wrote:
I've been a hardcore SmugMug user for like 4-5 years. I love it. Their new template sites are really nice, but there is a learning curve. I've spent around 5-6 hours playing with mine over the past few days after attending their release party in Mountain View, CA, and it's good. Not perfect, but good.

I frickin' LOVE the fact that I can make my galleries look like PASS. I think that's the way this industry is headed, and I dig it.

I was always fairly easily able to customize my page, but haven't really finished it yet. HTML5 for the win.

Need
...Show more

Long time smugmug user here too.

On first glance I was worried, then super excited about it. The further and further I get into it though the more frustrating it is.

The styles are fixed row implementation, the lightbox is a completely different interaction pattern than the gallery full view, I keep getting inconsistencies on different browsers, etc, etc, etc. Just to point out one bug... the full image view mode can obscure the shopping cart which may then prevent a purchase..

I am not leaving smugmug over this (they are awesome), but I may reduce my plan level.

Aug 01, 2013 at 07:28 PM
mineymole
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Brand new Smugmug...

I love the look of it for galleries. Is it hard to set up? Also how would one move images say from Zenfolio over to Smug? I have a lot of images....

I also love the look of PASS but won't use it because of the per wedding cost and because they only let you charge $1.00, $2.00 and $4.00 for prints.

I have just discovered Pixieset which looks a lot like PASS with better features. Waiting to see what they implement in terms of printing which is coming soon.

Aug 01, 2013 at 09:19 PM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Brand new Smugmug...

Just in case anyone is curious, I toyed with my SmugMug for a total of about 6-7 hours. I came up with this:

www.michaeljamesphotostudio.smugmug.com (SmugMug)

I'm coming from this: www.michaeljamesphotostudio.com (BigFolio)

I believe I can move borders around/add borders, and adjust some sizing things. What I like most is how it displays on my Android phone and my wife's iPhone. My SmallFolio (from BigFolio) looks pretty blah and loads extremely slow.

I love the PASS style galleries, and had a small issue with them at first after rearraging them...

...But guess what? I emailed SmugMug at 3:30pm yesterday. I had a response and a solution to my issue (not their fault - just my lack of understanding of the new interface) in less than 45 minutes.

What company, ANYWHERE, can completely overhaul their system, and a mere two days after rolling it out has the common sense to plan for staffing/tech support that can reply in less than an hour?

I just don't know ANYONE like that.

Looks like my continued use of SmugMug will, well, continue. These guys/gals at SmugMug are rad.

Edited on Aug 02, 2013 at 12:35 PM · View previous versions

Aug 02, 2013 at 12:21 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Brand new Smugmug...

Prettym1k3 wrote:
Just in case anyone is curious, I toyed with my SmugMug for a total of about 6-7 hours. I came up with this:

www.micaheljamesphotostudio.smugmug.com (SmugMug)

I'm coming from this: www.michaeljamesphotostudio.com (BigFolio)

I believe I can move borders around/add borders, and adjust some sizing things. What I like most is how it displays on my Android phone and my wife's iPhone. My SmallFolio (from BigFolio) looks pretty blah and loads extremely slow.

I love the PASS style galleries, and had a small issue with them at first after rearraging them...

...But guess what? I emailed SmugMug at 3:30pm yesterday. I had a response and a solution
...Show more

smugmug link is bad.

Aug 02, 2013 at 12:30 PM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Brand new Smugmug...

SloPhoto wrote:
smugmug link is bad.

I typed it in wrong. I suck at life.

Here you go: http://www.michaeljamesphotostudio.smugmug.com/

Aug 02, 2013 at 12:37 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Brand new Smugmug...

Prettym1k3 wrote:
I typed it in wrong. I suck at life.

Here you go: http://www.michaeljamesphotostudio.smugmug.com/

Looks pretty nice.

what was the issue that smug resolved about borders?

Aug 02, 2013 at 12:55 PM
skasol
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Brand new Smugmug...

it looks pretty nice.

I have my custom from fastline and it looks like I will be losing my customization.

www.arttaylorphotography.com

Aug 02, 2013 at 08:37 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Brand new Smugmug...

I have been playing around with some of the new sm stuff, but can't get it to do everything I want it to yet so my original site is still in place. I think the part that is the most confusing for me so far was at the gallery level, I like the old gallery style better than what I am seeing on the new stuff... but I might be doing something wrong...

Aug 02, 2013 at 08:46 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Brand new Smugmug...

I was a long time Smugmug user...but got frustrated with their lack of innovation and same old stale layouts....left a few months ago...

Aug 02, 2013 at 08:57 PM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Brand new Smugmug...

Ziffl3 wrote:
Looks pretty nice.

what was the issue that smug resolved about borders?

Essentially my gallery links were showing up in client galleries. One simple click and they were gone.

Getting used to being able to edit the entire site with navigation bars and footers, and then each page separately took a little getting used to.

Aug 02, 2013 at 09:15 PM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Brand new Smugmug...

mineymole wrote:
I love the look of it for galleries. Is it hard to set up? Also how would one move images say from Zenfolio over to Smug? I have a lot of images....

This worked well and quickly for me when I migrated from Smug to Zenfolio:

http://www.uploadjunction.com/

It's free too.

brad

Aug 03, 2013 at 03:22 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Brand new Smugmug...

Update:
I switch from the legacy to my new 'unveiled' site for proofing.

No major problems.
Update or refreshed the look to match my main site. Still need a couple finally tweeks - in progress but pretty strait forward.

I have one issue: manually sorting folder content by 'drag and drop' is not working for me.
It might be due to high traffic....
Not a show stopper ... but a does need to get addressed. I can wait a couple of days, if nothing changes the ni will send in an e-mail to support.

Aug 04, 2013 at 01:55 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Brand new Smugmug...

it took some brain work, but I figured out some of the stuff I was stumped on with the blog post they did yesterday, hoping I can make sure I don't lose any of my important work as I try to transition everything over to the new platform.

Aug 06, 2013 at 10:36 AM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Brand new Smugmug...

Sheri ... I was cleaning house and got a little carried away and deleted the main folder I was in.
Non-payed work folder.
An e-mail ex-change with the Hreo's .... a day later the folder is back.

Aug 06, 2013 at 12:19 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.