New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · cheap flash gun recommendations

odnanref

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · cheap flash gun recommendations

Hi,

I would like to purchases some flashes so that I can practice some lighting. I don't have the budget for the top of the line Nikon flashes. From what I hear there are great values on older models and such, I just don't know what they are.

Has anybody used Yongnuo products?

Thanks!

Jul 31, 2013 at 12:47 PM
kenyee
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · cheap flash gun recommendations

look for old Nikon sb-25, sb-26, sb-28. They'll cost less than YN stuff and be better built...

Jul 31, 2013 at 01:27 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · cheap flash gun recommendations

odnanref wrote:
I would like to purchases some flashes so that I can practice some lighting. I don't have the budget for the top of the line Nikon flashes.

You can get brand new Vivitar 285HVs for $90. They don't have iTTL or FP Sync, but are good basic models to learn with.

I have the next-to-latest Canon flashes, but I kept two of my 285HVs and use them together with the Speedlites for multi-flash setups.

odnanref wrote:
...Has anybody used Yongnuo products?

I have four Yongnuo YN-622C radio triggers, which I think are brilliant, but haven't used their flashes.

Jul 31, 2013 at 02:42 PM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · cheap flash gun recommendations

The Nissin Di866 MARK II found on this link. Rocks.

http://www.nissindigital.com/di866mkii.html

I have 3 along with the SB-900 sets and use them seamlessly with the SB lights.

An Ebay search will show you just how reasonable thy are cost wise. Great features that all work as they say they will..

Aug 01, 2013 at 01:45 AM
thePond

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · cheap flash gun recommendations

kenyee wrote:
look for old Nikon sb-25, sb-26, sb-28. They'll cost less than YN stuff and be better built...

All those Nikon units go for more than a brand new yn 560II; I have two units of the YN560II and also have a sb26, 800, 900. You can't go wrong with the yongnuo however understand that you will be limiting yourself to strictly manual flash off camera.

Aug 02, 2013 at 12:41 AM
amacal1
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · cheap flash gun recommendations

The Yonguo's get a bad rep, and it's not entirely undeserved.

However, I've been very pleased with the last few YN-460 II's I had and I'm blown away by my YN-560 III. The YN-560 III has a built in radio trigger among its many other great features.

To be fair, my first 2 YN-460 II's died quick deaths from what I suspect was thermal stress. The later 2 I had faired much better, especially since I was more cautious. I can confirm that the YN-560 III's thermal management works great, so I'm no longer worried about it. Either way, I now only buy my Yongnuo products from retailers that offer a return policy.

Aug 02, 2013 at 10:48 AM
markd61
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · cheap flash gun recommendations

thePond wrote:
All those Nikon units go for more than a brand new yn 560II; I have two units of the YN560II and also have a sb26, 800, 900. You can't go wrong with the yongnuo however understand that you will be limiting yourself to strictly manual flash off camera.

+1

I have several Yongnuo 560-II and they have been rock solid.
I bought some used Nikon SBs and while they are decent none lasted long and were not worth fixing.

Aug 03, 2013 at 11:50 AM
calk
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · cheap flash gun recommendations

My experience with Yongnuo 560 II's and RF-603C triggers is limited, but they have worked perfectly every time I've used them. They are my first manual flashes and they are a breeze to operate. No complaints.

Cal

Aug 20, 2013 at 12:07 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.