Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 13U baseball

shelland
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 13U baseball

Long-time lurker, but first time posting any pics. I'm in awe of what I routinely see here as a hobbyist with a little ol' 60D (but also a Canon 70-200 f/2.8 ). I admit I still struggle nailing exposure in camera, especially with games starting at 6:30 pm and constantly changing light. On top of that, our home field is surrounded by trees, which means different lighting in every direction. I've been shooting D-SLR a little under 3 years, and have pretty much just learned on my own.

But as I was cleaning up some pics from the now completed season, I found this one that I didn't even know I had. I made a few attempts to capture the magical 'in focus ball' at 2 or 3 games this year, but admit I didn't spend a whole lot of time on it. It's not at the level as some of the others I've seen here, but I was excited when I saw this.

I'm hoping to get through some more pics over the next few days, so maybe I'll post some of my faves for some additional feedback.

Hopefully I do this right... I don't think I can embed the image directly w/o being a paid member?

Thanks for looking! And don't be too hard on me.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-b7749DhGGIA/UfiYgU28S6I/AAAAAAAAMtQ/_aic-3x_QjE/w1277-h852-no/IMG_7593.jpg

Jul 30, 2013 at 11:58 PM
BillP57
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 13U baseball

You did a pretty good job of catching the ball in flight, but the tilt of the grass line is throwing me a bit. If you have room rotate it to level the grass.

You don't have to be a paid member to post a photo, usually you just copy the image location and paste it into your post, but I am having trouble with your image.

Bill

Jul 31, 2013 at 07:57 AM
shelland
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 13U baseball

Thanks for the response Bill, much appreciated. Normally I do keep an eye on lines when editing, but I must have been concentrating so much on the ball that I didn't catch that. I'll try to rotate a bit tonight. I did crop a bit, so should be able to reduce the crop if needed when rotating to make things look OK. Looking at it again today, I may tweak the levels just a bit too.

I'll try uploading the updated image to a different hosting site, and see if I have any different luck with embedding it.

Jul 31, 2013 at 12:26 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 13U baseball

Here ya go...

Nice effort here. For me, the ball tends to get lost in the head, and bright backlighting of the grass, and consequently doesn't have the impact it deserves. Remember that the ball is the subject! It compliments the pitcher throwing it, but the ball should BE THE SUBJECT.

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-b7749DhGGIA/UfiYgU28S6I/AAAAAAAAMtQ/_aic-3x_QjE/w1277-h852-no/IMG_7593.jpg

Jul 31, 2013 at 04:18 PM
shelland
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 13U baseball

Rotated a bit, and toned things down. I tried to make the ball pop a bit more (Lightroom), but this seemed like a good compromise in keeping the surrounding color from being overbearing. After comparing the two, I can't believe I didn't realize how overpowering the colors were in the first version.

Improvement?

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2854/9410761785_a82f56b060_b.jpg

Jul 31, 2013 at 09:36 PM
BillP57
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 13U baseball

It looks better to me.

Bill

Aug 01, 2013 at 09:34 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.